“I don’t track my car, and I don’t want my suspension ‘bouncy.’”

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
“I don’t track my car, and I don’t want my suspension ‘bouncy.’”

This post is prompted by a post on Acurazine I encountered online looking for a suspension kit that was not bouncy and not for the track. I was compelled after years of reading this same post to speak up and try to put the issue to bed.

Read the full article here:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=245

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Originally Posted by customer
im not gona be tracking the car im jus scared of the ride being bouncy especially over bumps.. are the spring rates the same between the 2?
If I had a nickel for every time someone emailed this stipulation when asking for suspension purchase consultation, or posted it in a forum, the HT-Spec TSX would already have a Kraftwerks Supercharger on it. The term “bouncy” in particular is really turning into a pet peeve of mine, as I will explain further in a minute. First I would like to quell this issue of track suspension and spring rates.

Guess what, TSX, TL, and Accord drivers…you all ask for the same thing! I find an interesting irony in the hesitation to pull the trigger on a high quality suspension kit for these cars that is under $1000 and yet is not a track suspension. First of all, anything anywhere near being a track-worthy suspension is going to cost closer to $2000 than at or under $1000. Secondly, nobody really makes a race-worthy kit for these cars*. So the risk of accidentally buying a kit that is not good for the street is really very low. Tein Basic and Super Street kits, as well as kits from Function/Form (F2) are real winners, as is the Neuspeed Super Cup Kit that features Koni Shocks. Each is suited to a slightly different demographic, but HeelToe is here to consult and service you, enabling you to make the best decision possible for your specific needs and conditions.
Read the full article here:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=245

Thanks! See you soon!

Marcus
949-295-1668
Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I don't like it when they describe it as bouncy either. You don't know if they're talking about spring rates that are too high or if it's under damped. Two complete opposite ends of the sprctrum but the same word is used to describe both.

I guess that's a little OT.

To get rid of all of this misunderstanding and to be able to make an educated choice of suspension, we need to know spring rates. In the Domestic world, springs are ordered based on their rate. In the TL world, they're ordered by the amount of the drop. The only way to tell how it's going to ride is by other members' subjective opinions. If rates were listed anyone could make an educated guess about how it's going to ride and handle (roll and balance) without relying on others' opinions.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I don't like it when they describe it as bouncy either. You don't know if they're talking about spring rates that are too high or if it's under damped. Two complete opposite ends of the sprctrum but the same word is used to describe both.

I guess that's a little OT.

To get rid of all of this misunderstanding and to be able to make an educated choice of suspension, we need to know spring rates. In the Domestic world, springs are ordered based on their rate. In the TL world, they're ordered by the amount of the drop. The only way to tell how it's going to ride is by other members' subjective opinions. If rates were listed anyone could make an educated guess about how it's going to ride and handle (roll and balance) without relying on others' opinions.

You are talking about a big undertaking here...since the import scene is much less in tune with the engineering of things a lot of assumptions are made on spring rates that are simply not true. As you know, a car with blown stock shocks on stock springs rides and handles much worse than an aggressive street setup done right. The degree of complication that I get in conversations results in a complete erasure and re-imprinting of the customers ideas. this helps them understand better. But the might of internet is against us.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
"Search" right?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
You are talking about a big undertaking here...since the import scene is much less in tune with the engineering of things a lot of assumptions are made on spring rates that are simply not true. As you know, a car with blown stock shocks on stock springs rides and handles much worse than an aggressive street setup done right. The degree of complication that I get in conversations results in a complete erasure and re-imprinting of the customers ideas. this helps them understand better. But the might of internet is against us.
I totally agree. Someone could literally buy a set of more aggressive aftermarket springs/shocks/coilovers and have a more comfortable AND better handling ride than the worn out stock stuff. I prefer it a little on the firm side because I hate excessive body movement. IMO, a firm spring with appropriate damping can be more comfortable over large bumps than a soft suspension. It's the small bumps that you feel more with a firm suspension but I can live with that.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm glad we can see eye to eye.

Hey, whats up with the bracing? Wanna give it a shot?