[Spec help] BC Coils: spring rates, swift

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
[Spec help] BC Coils: spring rates, swift

I am pretty set on BC Racing BR coilovers, not the extreme version. In question still though are spring rates and whether to swift or not.

SpringRates: 10/6, 12/8, 12/10, 14/12 etc. They are just numbers to me. I have no idea how they will actually correlate to real world driving. I only know the nutshells of the given rates and how they differ but still feel like I'm in the dark. Hope to get recommendations.

SwiftSprings: Have been told I don't need them unless going for a very specific stance or very low. I won't be tucking any part of the wheel whatsoever. Does that mean that I won't benefit much with this upgrade?

Most I've read on about swifts points to highly recommended. And the ones that opt for stock springs, did it did it for the savings rather than anything regarding performance or lack of. Also heard they should be done on the original install or not at all. So I have a open mind about them but still need some input.

-------------------------------------------------------

MySpecs/info:

19x8.5 235/35/19 all-season

& stock 17" 245/45/17 blizzacks

It will a daily driven vehicle. Don't want to be slammed to where that is one of the first things you notice when you look. I want to close wheel gap as much possible. Flush to fender as possible, haven't mount wheels yet so I might or might not get spacers.

Aiming for a premium look, without sacrificing(too much) performance, cornering, or handling. I can deal with stiffness as long as it boosts performance. I just don't want to be forced to drive too cautiously just to avoid harming my car. Spirited driving capability a must.

Please chime in. Sorry about the super long post.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring a certain . Springs are rated in LB/in (in metric system kg/mm), or specifically, how many pounds of weight are required to depress the spring by one inch. To convert LB/in to kg/mm international, you must divide divide figure by 56.
Consider you have 2 springs having different spring rates: One with 345 g/mm and the other with 480 g/mm. So what does it mean?
It means the 1st spring will compress 1 mm if you put a load of 345 grams, while the 2nd one will not. The 2nd one will need a 480 g. load to compress 1 mm. According to this, we can say that the 2nd spring is harder than the 1st one, or we can state that:
Springs that have a low Spring Rate are soft, while springs that have a high Spring Rate are stiffer.

If you you are looking at BC - talk to Alexx Kings at Tunergoods.com, or Facebook @alexxkings - he has a lot of Acura TL customers on BC's and can help you out. I went with 12 F/10 R on my BCs - I don't think you really need to upgrade to the Swifts - unless you are looking to be slammed/stanced..imo