Youtube vid - Steering sound - 6sp manual-UPDATE: Solution found, posted below.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Youtube vid - Steering sound - 6sp manual-UPDATE: Solution found, posted below.

Hello all,

A third party has driven my car without the PS belt on and the sound is still there, indicating it has NOTHING to do with the PS pump.

Before you all listen to the sound, it can BARELY be heard however at 21-26 seconds in the video is as clear as it gets. It is a motor sound you hear, sort of sounds like the power steering, yet it's not. The wheel seems to be locked however it isn't! The frequency of the sound changes depending on the degree of angle the wheels are at. Mind you this is all captured on camera and it is much more audible in person! Let me know if any of you have any sound of that nature when driving at slow speeds with your wheels turned, in your 07-08 6spd TL-S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpE3yfygMy4

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
8th Gear

Hey guys, i know its difficult to hear but all i'm really looking for are people with the same vehicle(TL-S 6spd manual) to comment on whether they have the same sound or not. Honestly it would really help me out!

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM
rcp
Advanced

sounds like road noise from your tires.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for being honest, however i'm not stupid enough to mistake the sound of my tires spinning from a moan. The sound i hear is more audible from 20 secs - to the end of the video and you need to crank your speakers up.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 AM
e92TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey is it like knocking sound that gets faster as u speed up? I kinda do hear it but last 2 seconds like just like mine when I spin wheel to park especially when I fully turn right to paralle park as I reverse it makes thuk* thuk* sound. Can't be heard if ur vent is on at about 3 fan speed but deginately can be heard...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

theres a power steering hose recall bring it to the dealer its basicly an O ring tht allows air to enter the system. Acura know about this problem so just bring it to the dealer
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
rcp
Advanced

yea that sounds like the power steering issue. there's a service bulletin for that and it addresses the issue. try searching for that and see if that is what you are experiencing.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

ibak: I did have the same issue. With mine, the sound is most evident coming from a full stop (say out of a parking spot) then having the steering wheel fully turned left or right. I hear it in first through second gear only. The dealership replaced the whole steering rack. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
It's really difficult to tell from the vid.. but it sounds like it might be a worn wheel bearing.. or a pulley bearing. To check the wheel bearings.. put the front axle up and try rocking the sides of your wheels back & forth to see if there's any give.. same goes for pulleys (belt off of course). Also check for wear on your belts.

Also with your car in park or neutral.. do you hear the noise and does it change with RPM while in park or driving?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Whdrms
Hey is it like knocking sound that gets faster as u speed up? I kinda do hear it but last 2 seconds like just like mine when I spin wheel to park especially when I fully turn right to paralle park as I reverse it makes thuk* thuk* sound. Can't be heard if ur vent is on at about 3 fan speed but deginately can be heard...
Mine has similar problem as you. When the car is low speed or completely stop, I can hear the thuk thuk sound sometimes. But sometimes it's gone. Went to the dealer, the mechanics said since the problem is not constant he can't diagnose it. Did you figure it out? Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Have you been in a front end collision? I just got my car back a few weeks ago from a front end collision and I'm getting the same "click click click" noise you indicated. Noise is most notable at low speeds (below 5mph) and can only be heard in 1st, 2nd, or reverse gear. Sound seems to be coming from somewhere past the steering column right? I got it... it bugs me.

I can control how fast the "clicks" follow eachother by turning the steering wheel faster or slower.

Sounds a lot like post #8 too.

6MT '08 type-s
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 PM
8th Gear

The car has never been in any sort of collision, the problem has developed recently in the last few months.

I wouldn't call it a "clicking" sound, however more so a whine/moan. Dealer is still trying to sort it out, i'll keep you updated once they isolate where the sound is coming from.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to be a mechanic for Acura. The power steering recall replaces not only the O ring but the hose also.. the hose replacement is done becuz of an issue w/it leaking by the clamp to the pump. i have never heard any case of the hose causing the noise.. however. the O ring has alot to do w/it. the factory black O ring is too small and causes air to enter the system causing the noise.. the RED replacement O ring is bigger and completely seals the system. but u said u had the power steering belt completley taken off... so that noise is NOT commin from the power steering hose or pump.. in my opinion.. i think it may be from the Rack and pinion. u should go to the dealer and have them check it out. By the way i worked at Pohanka Acura. "the worlds largest acura dealer" so we saw ALOT of these problems
Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok well first off no one has bothered to save the OP time by remembering that, oh wait, he has a Type S, and it's a 6MT, therefore, no recall gets done to it...

That said, could it be the o-ring? Sure, I guess, and for the price of it, and the ease of installation, I say sure, go for it.

Now, back to basics. I personally can't hear anything from the video, OP, but I would be happy to discuss the known trans issues with my car (07 TL-S 6MT).

My bigger of the two problems (and probably not yours), is the awesome whine I get going down any road, with slight throttle, around 45 mph (though it has now expanded to 40-60+. This is an internal problem related to the entire countershaft assembly and diff ring gear. How do I know this? Because we had another 07 TL-S 6MT in with the same issue, and since none of us at work had heard this noise before, I gave tech line a quick call so I wouldn't needlessly replace trans parts, and was told the above is what to replace. Went ahead and did so, problem fixed (for the other car, getting lazy with mine, I'll do it sometime, it's under warranty til 70k anyway )

Next, and since I can't hear the noise, maybe this is for you. In slower speeds, forward or backwards, sometimes, and I stress only sometimes, I will get a sound when turning, that basically sounds like a diff (our LSD), slipping and gripping (i.e. locking and unlocking), over and over. Pulls the steering wheel back and forth (minimally), but is quite loud, and as stated, you can def feel it. This is hit or miss. But when it happens, you know about it! Haven't called tech line on it or anything, I'm waiting to do that when I am going to replace all the stuff listed above.

And yes, I know you'll ask, I'll try and get a sound clip and video for you within a few days, so you can hear it.

All this is assuming you don't have a bad axle (CV joint(s)), or something more common place. But given your description, I'm just throwing these things out there.

BTW, beside my listed problems, and the other customer's whine noise, we haven't had any issues with the 6MTs other the the 3rd gear bulletin issues, so I haven't seen anything else worth noting to you.

Keep us posted!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
8th Gear

Thanks guys for all the info, its been over a month now and the car has been in and out of the dealer several times only for them to tell me its a normal sound...

To all the above, as i mentioned the car was driven without the PS belt and the sound still exists, completely eliminating the PS or pulley bearing (accessories)etc...

However the service manager took a ride with me the other day and clearly heard the whine and he called his boss out who listened and clearly stated the sound was not normal! This is probably the first set of good news I have had. It has been honestly a huge pain trying to figure out and prove there actually was an abnormal sound, on my own. Maybe now they'll be able to figure out the noise! I'll keep you updated...

Last edited by ibak; 04-13-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe, the PS hose is missing a silencer. Some PS hose has a silencer inside to reduce a noise like that. Not sure if TL hose has it or not though. (I used to work for the company that makes PS plumbing.)
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ibak
Thanks guys for all the info, its been over a month now and the car has been in and out of the dealer several times only for them to tell me its a normal sound...

To all the above, as i mentioned the car was driven without the PS belt and the sound still exists, completely eliminating the PS or pulley bearing (accessories)etc...

However the service manager took a ride with me the other day and clearly heard the whine and he called his boss out who listened and clearly stated the sound was not normal! This is probably the first set of good news I have had. It has been honestly a huge pain trying to figure out and prove there actually was an abnormal sound, on my own. Maybe now they'll be able to figure out the noise! I'll keep you updated...
From my earlier post, I had the same exact problem. I heard it right away in your vid. I feel your pain about getting the dealership to first acknowledge that they hear it, and then acknowledge that it's not normal. My whole steering rack was replaced. Steering is a lot stiffer but the noise went away.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
8th Gear

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acura Rep from Acura Canada spoke to service manager and told him before proceeding with checking the drivetrain, they should change the transmission fluid. So they changed the fluid(according to the work order), i'm assuming 3 litres, and immediately after the sound dissappeared.

My observations after the fluid was "changed" -

The noise was obviously gone, and i also noticed you could barely even feel the engaging points as i shifted through gears.

The next few questions that directly came into my head were: What was the cause of this problem? Was it really because my transmission fluid was dirty? Maybe it was low, but then why was there no visible leak? Was there any additives that may have been added to mask a more serious faulty bearing problem in my transmission, that soon may become apparent?

Although it took almost 3 months, i'm glad i was patient and kept persevering with insisting the sound was not normal! If any of you Acura techs could shed light on what may have caused the tranny to whine and if i'm headed for bigger problems, i truly would be greatful for you opinions!

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
8th Gear

Also, service manager said it did not pop up on the MID for the maintenance reminder as i have 65000km on it and that it should have been changed but not to worry it'll be covered under warranty. What is the code including the tranny change?