Yet another serious transmission issue - almost out of warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
~*~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Yet another serious transmission issue - almost out of warranty!

(sorry this is so long!)

I've been having an issue with my tranny in my Auto 04 TL since I purchased it CPO in 2008. It's actually what lead me to join this site, I just never really spent a great deal of time posting about it out of sheer annoyance with it.

The car had 50,000 miles on it when purchased and has 85,000 on it currently. The issue started immediately when I noticed the green "D" (drive) light blinking while driving at highway speeds. I referred to the manual which indicates an issue with tranny could be present. Brought it in to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate the condition. I continued to bring it to different dealers as the intermittent issue became more frequent.

About 7 months ago, while driving about 80 mph on the highway the car slipped out of gear, jerked and slowed down to about 65 and the "D" light was completely off. It appeared I was not in any gear and the car felt like it was in neutral. A trick I learned to get the light to stop blinking prior to the slipping experience was to "jiggle" my shifter knob. I did so when it slipped, it seemed to correct itself and I kept driving. Brought it back in for service multiple times as this has continued to occur, and it's never been duplicated nor have codes come up.

In August 2010 they recommended a tranny fluid drain and refill because fluid was very dark. I had them do it and the issue got progressively worse & more frequent since.

I'm about 2 weeks out from my extended warranty expiring so I brought it back again. They called today to say it couldn't be duplicated again, however recommended a drain and refill bc fluid was very dark. I reminded the advisor I had this done in August when I had 77,000 miles on the car. He conveniently couldnt find my service record but I kept a copy and lead him to it. I told him I'd like this brought up to the service manager as a possible cause for concern; as to my knowledge tranny fluid service is done at minimum every 25,000 miles.

My case has been fully documented, including to Acura of America who offered very little support. So I'm hopeful any issue that may come up after warranty will be covered.

Basically I'm not the expert on transmissions and this has been a huge cause of stress and caused me to not be able to fully enjoy my TL. Any input, suggestions or help would be appreciated so I'm not taken when I go discuss this with them. I appreciate it!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLMunchkin37
(sorry this is so long!)

I've been having an issue with my tranny in my Auto 04 TL since I purchased it CPO in 2008. It's actually what lead me to join this site, I just never really spent a great deal of time posting about it out of sheer annoyance with it.

The car had 50,000 miles on it when purchased and has 85,000 on it currently. The issue started immediately when I noticed the green "D" (drive) light blinking while driving at highway speeds. I referred to the manual which indicates an issue with tranny could be present. Brought it in to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate the condition. I continued to bring it to different dealers as the intermittent issue became more frequent.

About 7 months ago, while driving about 80 mph on the highway the car slipped out of gear, jerked and slowed down to about 65 and the "D" light was completely off. It appeared I was not in any gear and the car felt like it was in neutral. A trick I learned to get the light to stop blinking prior to the slipping experience was to "jiggle" my shifter knob. I did so when it slipped, it seemed to correct itself and I kept driving. Brought it back in for service multiple times as this has continued to occur, and it's never been duplicated nor have codes come up.

In August 2010 they recommended a tranny fluid drain and refill because fluid was very dark. I had them do it and the issue got progressively worse & more frequent since.

I'm about 2 weeks out from my extended warranty expiring so I brought it back again. They called today to say it couldn't be duplicated again, however recommended a drain and refill bc fluid was very dark. I reminded the advisor I had this done in August when I had 77,000 miles on the car. He conveniently couldnt find my service record but I kept a copy and lead him to it. I told him I'd like this brought up to the service manager as a possible cause for concern; as to my knowledge tranny fluid service is done at minimum every 25,000 miles.

My case has been fully documented, including to Acura of America who offered very little support. So I'm hopeful any issue that may come up after warranty will be covered.

Basically I'm not the expert on transmissions and this has been a huge cause of stress and caused me to not be able to fully enjoy my TL. Any input, suggestions or help would be appreciated so I'm not taken when I go discuss this with them. I appreciate it!
IM Feeling ur pain right now...same symptoms started wid my car this month and so far i jus did a fluid drain yesterday ...hoping this helps ...so u havnt had any engine codes come up ..?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Deja vu

Glass trannies, all over again.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM

you need to push the dealer for a tranny rebuild or to replace it, right away. Especially, if you're under warranty.

the more you drive it, the worse its gonna get.

But i'm no expert. I'll let the wiser members chime in.
Would the pressure switches and type-f fluid help her out?

Last edited by justnspace; 04-13-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Also forgot to say in my thread but the shop i toke my car to said that this is a similar problem is having now because of the snow storm that hit new york...i kno thats why my transmission if about to blow =/..ill never try to drive of of snow more than 17-25 inches again ...thats after 3 days when the storm hit us
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
~*~

Thanks everyone for your input; this is extremely frustrating especially considering the warranty is up soon and I feel like the dealer is brushing me off like I'm crazy.

I'm kinda glad the tranny fluid issue was brought up because now they may take me seriously. Anyone have some input on why the fluid would be dark again so quickly? Could this be an indication of a serious tranny issue as I believe it is?

Justnspace, you mention I should push them for a new or rebuilt tranny. Considering the issue is intermittent and in about 7 visits they still haven't been able to duplicate it, do you think they'll even take my request seriously? Part of me thinks they think I'm making this shit up...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you have to get the dealer to get your back. Ask them if they think the Transmission is bad or going bad. If they say no or I dont know, tell them to drive the car with you in it. show them the problems and have them run a diagnostic. A tranny failure will throw a code. you will prob have to pay for this regardless of the warranty. If your indead under warranty, this should be a no brainer. So them documentation and you have to be aggressive and persistant, dont take "no for an answer".

Im dealing with the same problem but no code and the car is shifting fine now after my local dealership ran a diagnostic and tranny flush so I have nothing. But if you can show them something is wrong with their luxury car.

Once the dealer has your back, it makes dealing with Acura Client Services......much easier
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

So my 05 started to leak a lot of transmission fluid this past week. Coming out almost black, been looking through a lot of forums and called customer care to see if they will cover the replacement. Hopefully I get a rebuilt under my remaining CPO warranty, find out this Tuesday. Otherwise I was quoted 2800 rebuilt installed Yikes!!!

Good luck with your trans, hopefully something gives so they have to give you a replacement.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Soul Reaper

I suggest take it to another dealer if you keep getting denied for a replacement. My 2001 accord tranny was acting up, I took it in several times, and they told me the same thing. "we cannot duplicate," Strangely my trans 100k mile warranty was coming to and end. From that day forward I drove the crap out of that tranny. Harsh kick downs, etc etc just really sporty driving. I took the car in just over mid 90's and gave them my blonde girl routine 72hrs later I had a brand new trans replaced for free under warranty and extended w/ another 12mnth 12,000 miles after my warranty expired.

"Moral of the story" - 2 can play the fool
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your input; this is extremely frustrating especially considering the warranty is up soon and I feel like the dealer is brushing me off like I'm crazy.

I'm kinda glad the tranny fluid issue was brought up because now they may take me seriously. Anyone have some input on why the fluid would be dark again so quickly? Could this be an indication of a serious tranny issue as I believe it is?

Justnspace, you mention I should push them for a new or rebuilt tranny. Considering the issue is intermittent and in about 7 visits they still haven't been able to duplicate it, do you think they'll even take my request seriously? Part of me thinks they think I'm making this shit up...
your tranny is going.
you can try to do "acurazines fix" which is to change out the 3rd and 4th pressure switches and change to a BETTER FLUID, the redline type-f fluid.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Fluid turning dark/black essentially means the transmission is overheating. Most likely from damage clutch pack (don't know the exact term, not a transmission expert). Time for a replacement, dealership should know this, transmission fluid is not suppose to change color like that in such a short time period.

Talk to the manager, bring Honda America in to it as well and get that transmission replaced.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Do you know of a lawyer who can send a $50-100 demand letter to them? It might get them to fix it. If they still won't fix it, it will document the issue with a third party. Send it certified with a signature.

They are trying to get you by another 2 weeks with the fluid changes. Then, you are not their problem.

Perhaps, at a minimum, send them a letter yourself via certified mail and copy your state's Attorney General to document:
0). Document your current issues and problems.
1). Certified independent mechanics say that the fluid changes are a stop-gap to get you out of warranty.
2). The premature wear on the existing fluid indicates a problem.
3). Demand a new transmission under warranty.
4). Compensate you for time and trouble for their apparent avoidance
Make sure that the dealership knows that you copied the AG office. No way to deny the documentation if you have issues down the road.

Good luck.

Last edited by jda123; 04-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
~*~

Thanks everyone again for your input; it's all very informative and helpful for a girl who knows very little about transmissions.

I called a local transmission shop near my house who've been in business for 45 years. I spoke with the owner who was shocked that they haven't found the issue and thinks the car is dangerous to drive under current conditions (I agree).

He recommended I contact the DMV Complaints department whose job it is to investigate issues such as this in which drivers are getting the run around from dealers while under warranty. I'm going to look into this and update everyone! Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
This is so not good...I just hit 83K on the car, but have had no problems with the transmission. I'm just hoping it doesn't go out as soon as my warranty is up in another 15K miles.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
~*~

Just an update for everyone. I spoke this afternoon with the service manager who by far is one of the worst people I've dealt with within Acura. She was dismissive, rude and aggressive with me over the phone.

She basically said they have done all they will do and aren't willing to order a new transmission until the problem occurs. She swears they have test drove it over hundreds of mile (my odometer never reflected that) and that she's not sure what else I want them to do.

I brought up the fluid change issue and asked if this was normal. She said it didn't matter to them and wouldn't cause them to look any deeper until the issue I describe presents itself. I asked why this wasn't a concern and she stated because if the fluid had never been changed prior to the last change, it could cause it to go black again quickly. Is this true!?

She then asked if I had a loaner from them, which I do, she said "Oh well we'll need that back immediately". I said "OK, so apparently you're more concerned with getting your loaner back than fixing my issue?" She said "Right". That solidified it for me there.

In addition, I spoke later today with the technician who worked on the car. He stated that I had a ton of electrical codes that came up. He said the battery cable and terminals are severely corroded and are causing electrical shorts. (Side note: just had a brand new battery and terminals put in in Feb '11 by Meineke) I told him this was just done and these issues I mentioned started far beyond that. He said there could be an ongoing issue which could actually cause these trans issue due to the electrical shorts. Does anyone have input on this?

SOoo frustrated!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Negative. they are bullshitting you.

agreed, that electrical problems can show false codes, but from what you've been saying (changed out batt and terminals, on going tranny problems, etc.) it sounds like they do not want to help.

Should try a different dealer.

hate to see these trannies going like this....

Last edited by justnspace; 04-15-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 AM
~*~

Just another quick update. I'm picking up the car today; they clearly refuse to help. I spoke last night with a trusted Honda dealer about the battery cables.

Before even mentioning my issue, he asked why I would want to change the cables. I explained it was a recommended service by my Acura dealer. He laughed and asked if I were having any other serious issues going on because if so they're messing with me.

I explained my situation and he said that it's VERY rare the cables which are eletrical would cause a mechanical problem such as what I'm having. He said to ask for it in writing that it'll fix my issue; I told him that'd never happen. He said "Exactly!"

Made an appointment for another dealership on Tuesday.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Instructor

So U Said.... "I spoke later today with the technician who worked on the car. He stated that I had a ton of electrical codes that came up. He said the battery cable and terminals are severely corroded and are causing electrical shorts." .....My Battery cables were very loose ...Could This Have Cause My Transmission To Act The Same Way Her Transmission Is Acting Right Now????????
Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
they better fix your car fast, i hate TLs going bad and when the dealership don't try to suport you. They should all get fired. Keep us in the loop on what happens
Old 04-17-2011, 01:58 PM
10th Gear

Kind of the same thing as the OP. The service tech has to go with you on a ride, and duplicate what the car does. My dealer also could not replicate until I had them come with me. Long story short, dealer replaced the tranny with 800 miles left on the ext.-war. Car runs better than ever.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
~*~

Just another update, except this time an ecstatic one!!

Brought my car in to the other Acura dealership (where I purchased it from) and within ONE day, I get a call telling me I'm getting an Acura re-manufactured transmission by next week!

They did a test drive and looked for codes and nothing came up as usual. However he pulled a sample of my tranny fluid and definitely sees signs of contamination in the fluid considering my last change was 7,000 miles ago.

He said he believes me 100%, believes 100% there's a problem that has not been diagnosed prior and doesn't want to put me through this anymore. FYI; My extended warranty expires in exactly 7 days from today.

Needless to say, I told the service tech that I loved him and proceeded to cry while telling the news to my coworkers LOL.

I know to be a bit weary because it's remanufactured but I'm assuming I do get an additional warranty on the tranny now? I'll be taking a spin by the other dealership who wouldn't help me once it's installed and letting them know how "pleased" I am that they were as understanding and helpful as their competitor. :-D
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM

^i'm happy for you.

when you get your car back, please drain the Honda Z1 and refill it with Redline D4 or racing.(or whatever the tranny threads say)
and then do the switches.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^i'm happy for you.

when you get your car back, please drain the Honda Z1 and refill it with Redline D4 or racing.(or whatever the tranny threads say)
and then do the switches.
Mind telling me the difference among those tranny fluids? I'm interested to hear how is that going to help my car do.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Read these two threads:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/very-interesting-conversation-my-transmission-builder-tl-721508/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/racing-atf-764322/
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
~*~

Thanks Justnspace; I came on this evening because I knew I had some research to do about fluids and etc.

Is this something I can just ask them to do in lieu of having to drain what they put in? I think I read in one of those threads a while back that the dealers don't condone their use so perhaps that's why you're suggesting to do it myself.

The switches aren't something that will be replaced with the entire transmission?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Justnspace; I came on this evening because I knew I had some research to do about fluids and etc.

Is this something I can just ask them to do in lieu of having to drain what they put in? I think I read in one of those threads a while back that the dealers don't condone their use so perhaps that's why you're suggesting to do it myself.

The switches aren't something that will be replaced with the entire transmission?
The dealer definitely won't put Redline Fluid in your transmission. Additionally, if you get another warranty, it would probably void it.

As for the switches, they never replace them. It's super easy though.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
TLMunchkin, Congratulations on your success! Dont worry about it being a re-manufactured tranny. Thats all they use. They should also have new pressure switches on it as well, at least mine did. You should also run the z-1 or dw-1 whichever they fill it with for at least 1k to get the break in material all out before switching to a different fluid. You might want to confirm with the service person about the switches because you do want new ones.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
~*~

Thanks everyone for the tips! I need to do my research on the fluid change before jumping on the bandwagon.

I will definitely contact the dealer prior to pickup and question them about the switches. This is something I planned on doing if they didn't fix my tranny issue. I'll check with them in advance; thanks again!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by DUHockey9
The dealer definitely won't put Redline Fluid in your transmission. Additionally, if you get another warranty, it would probably void it.

As for the switches, they never replace them. It's super easy though.
Originally Posted by pohljm
TLMunchkin, Congratulations on your success! Dont worry about it being a re-manufactured tranny. Thats all they use. They should also have new pressure switches on it as well, at least mine did. You should also run the z-1 or dw-1 whichever they fill it with for at least 1k to get the break in material all out before switching to a different fluid. You might want to confirm with the service person about the switches because you do want new ones.
Thanks to both for correcting me, as I have MT and did not know all the specifics.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM
~*~

Just an update; got the call from the dealer this evening. Will be picking up the TL tomorrow morning!

He confirmed verbally that the 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches were changed out as well.

I will be inquiring about the warranty for the new transmission. Any other important questions to ask tomorrow? Never had a new tranny put in a car!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
congratz ... glad the dealer stepped up and took care of u
Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 PM

for tomorrow!

before accepting it, test drive it.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
~*~

So this is what I hope to be a final update on this situation.

Got my baby back this morning. Test drove her, the shifts feel so stiff...but it feels amazing!

Feels like a new car, shifting and accelerating feels perfect! I looked at the paperwork, the 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches were also changed, as well as a new torque converter in addition to the full tranny replacement.

I didn't really get to whip her around much yet due to morning traffic on the roads (gotta <3 NY!). I'll update this if any problems arise; very happy so far!

Also got a free pair of caps for the license plate frame holes since I don't run a front plate. Yay!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Skillionare

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good job. Glad they took care of you.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Racer

Sounds like a good ending to this story. Be sure the take it easy on the new transmission, you gotta break it in. I would look into redline racing ATF for the long haul. You might not have another major transmission again.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
~*~

Thanks for the tips! I'm still undecided about the fluid change, still doing research.

My brother actually mentioned to take it easy at first too and asked if the dealer gave me any warnings to not speed or anything. They didn't so I wasn't sure if he was being serious.

I'm not known for my transmission knowledge so pardon my ignorance. Should I definitely try to drive conservatively for a while? If so, for how long and what speed range?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Racer

just drive like a grandma for a while. Assuming you dont already!! take it easy on the gas pedal and stay away from the high RPMs. id say about 5000 miles to be safe
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
~*~

5000 miles?!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Member Southernboy is very studious in clutches and advised me to drive soft for 500 miles.

with that being said, the manual and auto are two different beast.
I'm waiting for the master tranny re-builder to chime in. Ahem* I hate cars.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't think there is that much of a break in, just after 1000 miles do a 3x3 tranny fluid swap and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Yet another serious transmission issue - almost out of warranty!