Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes or no?

Sat in a used smoker car today.

Can cigarette smoke be removed?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Cruisin'

Yes

I bought a used car from a smoker (years ago). It had cloth seats -which makes it more difficult to remove. After a month it went away. With a TL it should be easier (leather seats). I would spray Febreze on any rug/fabric (test for color fastness). You'll have to run the A/C vents for a while to get all the smoke scent out. Other than that, give it a good cleaning, air it out if you can (in a garage) and throw out the ashtray. If you can wash the floor mats that should help too.

Good luck
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Take the car to a professional detailing shop and have them shampoo the ENTIRE interior within a inch of its life. You may have to spray Lysol into the A/C vents too.

Good luck...................
Old 10-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I would think much of the success of removing discernable smoke smell would come from your own sensitivity to the odor.

That said, the car being fairly 'young' the penetration into the interior materials would be less than a car say 3 years old or more. There are many great products for masking odors, some claim to eliminate.

My suggestion would be to consider the cost of a professional who will steam clean the carpets and interior soft materials (primarily in carpeting, trunk and headliner). Then there are various methods to fumigate a car from mothballs, ozone products and even 'baking' a car (as in a auto painting facility). I would think simple deoderizers are the last attempt, or more a maintenance matter. Likely the car will not be immediately odor free, but tolerable and soon to dissipate.

I saw an newsmagazine program after the midwest floods in the early mid 90's that was produced more to caution consumers about flooded vehicles being reconditioned for resale. The bottom line of the story was, most people were not able to determine the vehical had been flooded (some had amazing amounts of mold, mud and slime before the recondition). I would think if that is possible, exercising a smoker from a car 1 or 2 years old would also be possible. As another member posted, our TLs interior does not have cloth seats, making for less saturation of the smoke.

Weigh your sensitivity to smoke, the potential costs to have professional cleaning done and the value of the car in hand. I can smell a smoked in car, or even when a smoker has sat in a non smoking car, so I can appreciate your caution.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although all the other replies are valid and mark the best ways to get rid of smoke in the car......... Have you considered picking up smoking? That way you wouldn't notice the pre-existing "stank" while you're making your own?

My answer =

Anyway, Here are a few legitimate ways for you to reduce/eliminate the stink:
- Put a few boxes of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda in the car for a few weeks (secure them so they don't spill)
- Pour vinegar into a bucket and leave it in the car when it's parked (overnight, etc..)
- Leave windows down when you can (obvious, but it would depend on the outside temp)
- Febreeze will work wonders (already mentioned by someone else)
- Use a good leather cleaner on all leather surfaces
- A dish of citrus peels left in the car each night
- Some people recommend "un-percolated" coffee grounds in the carpet. Leave it there for a bit, then vacuum it out.

If all these "nickel and dime" items do not work, try a good detailer.

Hope these "real" sugestions help.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Yes.

One of my first cars was a hand-me down from my Grandparents and NO ONE, NO ONE on the face of this earth smokes more than these two did.
The smell went away in relatively short time.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think tampamike is correct. It depends how sensitive you are to the smell. You will sitting in the car for hours at a time. The smell may get to you over a long period of time. You may be able to get the smell out, but why chance it. If you are planning to buy this car I would have the buyer make an attempt to clean it first before you lay down some money. After you buy it you're stuck with the car, smell or no smell. Check with some detailers.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Check out professional detailers .. some have Ozone generators and these go a long way to remove the smoke smell.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will it get to a level that you can stand -- YES

Will it be undetectable -- NO
Old 10-21-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm Baaack!

Why not take this question to the detailing sub forum there are some really talented folks there who have (I'm sure) delt with this already.

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/