Yellow Spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 PM
allergic to wintertime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Spots

I just had some new wheels and tires installed and while checking out the new stuff the day after, I noticed in my wheelwells a whole bunch of little yellow spots. I am not insinuating that they had anything to do with the wheel/tire install, but quite a coincidence that this is the first time I have noticed them. They seemed confined to the body kit pieces (side and rear skirts) and only around the wheelwells so far. I tried washing them off (a lot) but they won't budge. They are very small and abundant in quantity. I don't have pictures...just wondering if anyone knows anything. My only thought is to try a clay bar, but it would be interesting to find out what they could be. I tried searching the forum but not sure how to effectively find the answer through that method. It is a 2006 White Diamond Pearl with the body kit installed by the dealer when I bought it. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Try the clay bar.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 AM
allergic to wintertime

OK...I tried the clay bar, and it didn't even remotely remove these spots. Does anyone have any other ideas? Does this mean it's some type of a defect with the paint? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Racer

If the spots look like little dots of rust you have rail dust on your car. This happens whenever you are close to a train. The spots usually appear on the flat surfaces of cars like tailgates and hoods,but it is possible to get rail dust anywhere. My best suggestion would be to use the clay bar again, and if you have an orbital buffer use that on it with a medium polish. If this doesnt work it will probably have to be repainted.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
just to clarify, are these inside the wheel wells or are they outside on the paint itself? Can you take a picture so we can see this exactly. Also run your fingernail over those spots, can you feel them raised or etched in?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Run over newly painted yellow lines on the highway?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM
allergic to wintertime

Originally Posted by TLdriver022
If the spots look like little dots of rust you have rail dust on your car. This happens whenever you are close to a train. The spots usually appear on the flat surfaces of cars like tailgates and hoods,but it is possible to get rail dust anywhere. My best suggestion would be to use the clay bar again, and if you have an orbital buffer use that on it with a medium polish. If this doesnt work it will probably have to be repainted.

I'm thinking that these are much more "yellow" than rust, but I'm not sure. I just can't believe the clay bar didn't even budge them. Thanks for the thought. I may have to use the buffer.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM
allergic to wintertime

Originally Posted by csmeance
just to clarify, are these inside the wheel wells or are they outside on the paint itself? Can you take a picture so we can see this exactly. Also run your fingernail over those spots, can you feel them raised or etched in?
I am sans camera currently but I will see if I can borrow one from one of my friends as I realize at this point that would probably help immensely. Believe it or not, they don't seem to have any texture at all, like they're flush with the surface. They are on the thin strip of paint in the wheelwells and on the ground effect pieces. They are kind of light in color but definitely yellow. I have to take my car in for the recall soon anyways, so I will ask the dealer what it is. The car is two years old and has 18,000 miles on it, and the body kit was installed at the dealer when I bought it, so if it's defective, I assume they will have to deal with it.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 PM
allergic to wintertime

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Run over newly painted yellow lines on the highway?
Always a possibility around here. I think it would be more widespread/splattered though. I really don't know. I'll try to get those pictures on here.