XLR8 Muffler rattle, how to go about fixing it? have video

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
XLR8 Muffler rattle, how to go about fixing it? have video

Hey everyone,

I have this rattle coming from my muffler which started about half a year ago. The sound it makes now is a very bad tin can rattling noise and is on the driver side, so that is all I hear. It reminds me of a civic exhaust with lots of raspiness mixed in with a tin can rattling noise. It has gotten so bad now that I have lost all motivation to drive

When the issue first came up I took it to my mechanic (this was a little over half a year ago) he spent all morning trying to fix my problem because I told him it was a heatshield. He eventually found the problem to be my muffler and told me that the muffler was bad and that the baffling material inside the muffler was cracked. I contacted XLR8 about this right away and he agreed to send me a replacement muffler. The sound disappeared mostly this summer I'm guessing due to the heat and carbon buildup in the muffler where the underlying issue is. But now it is getting cold again, and the sound has come back. When the issue first came up it rattled really bad at the 2-3k rev range. Now it rattles from 1500-4000 rpm, and the tone of the rattle changes with the RPM as well. It wasn't all that bad not driving within the 2-3 rpm range but now its completely unavoidable. The sound is like a really bad civic exhaust with raspiness and rattling. There is no damage to the exhaust at all, I have never backed up into anything or bottom'd out.

Its been over half a year already since I contacted XLR8, and when I ask him for updates he tells me he doesn't tell me much except that it takes time and that he doesn't have a status update for me. I have to consider myself on my own with this one, which isn't new to me.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, and am in need of advice and suggestions.

Here is a video of the rattle, this was over 6 months ago and the sound has gotten way worse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD0om...ature=youtu.be

Also I told my stock type s exhaust when I got this one because I loved it so much, a decision I very much regret