WTF!? Dash fading!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tunerman
Let me make note to everyone where the changes occured.

1) Door Panels redesigned. Real Alum trip on handle, smoothed edges around handle. Arm-rest now softly padded. Extra padding added to the door itself. Chrome Door release/lock handle. Window Switch controls textured surrounding/rounded.

2) This picture shows the dash left corner. Instead of hard plastic on cluster its soft vinyl now (textured as well), Around the whole cluster is soft. Real alum trim on dash, carpeted A pillars.

3) Clock cluster is not plastic anymore and redesigned to top center of dash. It is now soft vinyl. Again real alum trim on dash. Dash material is slightly different as well.

Real Alum center console. Edges of Center stack also no longer hard plastic, all soft vinyl. Much higher quality materials.

Gauges redesigned for 05 to suit the eyes better and easier to read.

Full Interior shot. There is like no hard plastic left in the G35 anywhere on the dash or doors. It's all soft vinyl.

Oh god my eyes they hurt Did they fix the problem of the radio controls being on the wrong side? Or is it still an ergonomic nightmare. It does look better than last years though. But it’s still a far cry from looking as good as the TL.

But hey if it makes you feel better to say our dash is falling apart because of fading then go right ahead.

Just keep putting on coats of 303. I had this same problem and fixed it by using 303. I just put a coat of 303 on and waited a day to soak in and then put on another coat. I did this about 5 times and now the dash is perfect. It just needs time to soak in I guess. I haven't 303ed my dash for like 4 months and its still looking like new.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
same problem here

took the car in yesterday to replace the arm rest...deterriate like the seats. Also had the dealer look at the dash and i could not believe he try clean and wax it with some kind of honda dash cleaner and give me a big bottle and expect me to clean it regularly (they ddi not do a good job with cleaning the chalky ).
Old 07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things:

First - I cannot believe that is the interior of the G. Holy crap that looks like junk. No really, that is awful.

Second - Regrading the dash - for all the oil analysis that gets done on this site - is there anyone who knows about combining treatments - like 303 mixed with something else that may help this issue? I am no chemical Engineer, but was hopeful that a treatment of 303, layered with something else for example might produce longer, more permanent and darker results... ????
Old 07-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Racer

Have appt with Regional Service manager Thursday. Will let you kow of results.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 PM
SSM 6MT

I don't know if there's much they can do. If you replace it, the problem will more than likely come back. It's the material used to make the dash. I understand the TSX and new RL are using the same material. Anyone know if TSX owners have a cure for this?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rstark
I don't know if there's much they can do. If you replace it, the problem will more than likely come back. It's the material used to make the dash. I understand the TSX and new RL are using the same material. Anyone know if TSX owners have a cure for this?
Rstark - that has crossed my mind but it looks pretty bad. had to reschedule my appointment with thne DPSM due to work conflicts so it will be another month until I meet with him.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Instructor

303 definitely does the job... one application may not do it... i needed two good coats to fully restore... if you go on aerospace's website they will send you free samples of the stuff to try it out... most likely the best remedy due to the fact that it actually treats the dash (aborbed in, instead of a topical shine)...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sweatinmyac
303 definitely does the job... one application may not do it... i needed two good coats to fully restore... if you go on aerospace's website they will send you free samples of the stuff to try it out... most likely the best remedy due to the fact that it actually treats the dash (aborbed in, instead of a topical shine)...
I have tried 303 countless times - not going to do it - the fading is still visible even after I let it sit. I actually have found better success at concealing with Vynilex (same folks that make lexol).
Old 07-30-2005, 07:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pinito
I have tried 303 countless times - not going to do it - the fading is still visible even after I let it sit. I actually have found better success at concealing with Vynilex (same folks that make lexol).

you think the dashes could be different?? did acura change it up?... who knoes, but after i used that stuff it worked wonders for me... i figured it should work for everyone..sorry man

i love 303
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by sweatinmyac
Some have recommended cleaning b4 303 application. What do you clean the dash with? Also, 303 bottle says its is also for leather, anybody tried this?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Ugh ... I noticed this last week on my '05 (purchased in late January) ... not sure if I'm glad it's not just me or not ... I'll see what they say when I take it in for my second oil change next week.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Racer

I am alaso starting to notice it on my late Jan 05 TL. DAMN!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Same problem here ... 6000 miles and 5 months old ... time to talk to the dealer.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Racer

The way I see it , there no use in getting the dash replaced as of yet, whos to guarantee that the new one is different and wont fade? We need to find out if and when Acura is going to fix the faulty materials they used that are so prone to fading.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:55 PM
10th Gear

I have the same problem. I took it to the dealership and this is what they said:

"We are aware of the issue (dash fading, and visibility of airbag above passeger seat) at this point it is considered a characteristic of the vehicle and no replacements will be made."

Jackasses.

Apparantly it happens to all the cars even their loaners (which i happily pointed out to them.)
Old 09-03-2005, 08:13 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Wiesel Lawyers
"... it is considered a characteristic of the vehicle and no replacements will be made"
Right, until they decide it will cost more to defend claims in in court than replace the dashboards. I doubt it will ever come to that since it isn't a safety issue.

"Characteristic of the vehicle" is cute. Sort of like Microsoft's "this behavior is by design" when things don't work. In any case I hear, "too bad Joe, nothing is gonna happen" whenever I see statements like that.

Truth is this is the toughest dashboard to cosmetically maintain that I ever had. 303 seems to help but I'm wondering when that's not going to be enough anymore.

Tyler said it best in the "Fight Club"
You take the population of vehicles in the field (A) and multiply it by the probable rate of failure (B), then multiply the result by the average cost of an out-of-court settlement (C).

A times B times C equals X. This is what it will cost if we don't initiate a recall.

If X is greater than the cost of a recall, we recall the cars and no one gets hurt.

If X is less than the cost of a recall, then we don't recall
Doesn't exactly fit but you get the drift.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Racer

Ask to speak with the reginal rep about replacement dashboard, good luck, it should definitely be replaced, others have gotten it done no problem
Old 09-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by redknite
I have the same problem. I took it to the dealership and this is what they said:

"We are aware of the issue (dash fading, and visibility of airbag above passeger seat) at this point it is considered a characteristic of the vehicle and no replacements will be made."

Jackasses.

Apparantly it happens to all the cars even their loaners (which i happily pointed out to them.)
IF I get that same response when I meet with the regional service manager I will sell the piece of shit and get something else. And before any of you start whining about how it is dumb to do so just for the dash - - it may be near luxury but I worked hard for the $35K that I shelled for the car to have this BS stuff going on and wonder what will be next.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Racer

IF I get that same response when I meet with the regional service manager I will sell the piece of shit and get something else. And before any of you start whining about how it is dumb to do so just for the dash - - it may be near luxury but I worked hard for the $35K that I shelled for the car to have this BS stuff going on and wonder what will be next.
I feel that same way! Everytime I see my dash I feel like going to superior court and slapping Honda America with a fat lawsuit to teach them a lesson.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Why don't all of you stop your whining and just take care of your interior the same way you're all crazed about polishing and waxing the exterior.

Use any good protectant such as Amorall or best yet, 303. Do a search on it here in the forum and see how those of us who use it aren't complaing about dash fading. At least one of you admits
303 seems to help but I'm wondering when that's not going to be enough anymore.
None of you are ever going to stop cleaning, waxing. or polishing the outside are you ????

Like John Stollel on 20/20 says, "GIMMIE A BREAK"

Old 09-03-2005, 11:15 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

It may not be as simple as that, DMZ... owners of the 2nd gen could not stop dash warpage despite efforts. Faulty materials are faulty materials, period.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:40 AM
10th Gear

I cleaned it with Zaino product, Z9 and then applied Z10. The result was great (no glossy look) and last for 2-3 months which is about the same interval for my leather seat conditioning process.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
Why don't all of you stop your whining and just take care of your interior the same way you're all crazed about polishing and waxing the exterior.

Use any good protectant such as Amorall or best yet, 303. Do a search on it here in the forum and see how those of us who use it aren't complaing about dash fading. At least one of you admits
None of you are ever going to stop cleaning, waxing. or polishing the outside are you ????

I can understand where you are coming from but there still remains the fact that there is something abnormal in a dash turning a 180 over the course a couple weeks.

Someone got an idea how to find out the manufacturer of the dash in order to contact them and get their take on the problem and the best possible solution?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ

I's a-holes like this that piss me off (sorry mods). You have NO idea what you are talking about. I have used 303 on my dash since Month 2 after I bought my car. It is also garaged at work, home, and at the gym so it gets sun only when being driven and it is not driven in winter once it snows. It has 7500 miles on it.

So, next time, before you want to do your usual talk without thinking - DON'T. Get the facts before you add to a thread.

I will laugh my ass off whne this issue happens to you.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ

By the way, nobody told you to stop whining when you were bitching about your :

" EIGHT dealer visits for roof rattles, 2 for vibration buzzes coming from the dash & A pillar rattles - replacement of the seat memory module & driver's side tail light assembly........total of TEN altogether combined. I still have to go back for a new rattle that started within the last month that sounds like a bottle of pills shaking around on the right of the passenger compartment - perhaps the glove box area PLUS the friction sound of the passenger headrest rubbing against the seat when I have a passenger"

If you are allowed to bitch about your car so should others. So, next time, before you want to slam an issue that other members think is legitimate - DON'T.

D*CK!
Old 09-04-2005, 04:22 PM
jfp
Intermediate

I don't think the dash is fading at all. I think it started out dark gray and after some time of ownership it becomes apparent. At first I thought that acura was just installing a dash that would go with all four interior colors. but after thinking more about it it would seem black (graphite) would be more appropriate than dark gray. This color issue, on top of the airbag and other defects showing through, just sums up to a poor quality dash. I hope acura has a good performance guarantee from their dash manufacturer so they can collect the cost of replacement and the cost of dissatisfied customers. A sad blemish on an outstanding car.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

Elmer, you said others have had their dashes replaced...can you tell me who, and how they did it, i would love to have mine replaced. it was the regional director that told me "it's a characteristic of the car" BS when i went in before.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Racer

REDKNITE:

I just took a look at my co-worker's TL. She had the dash fade issue and the dealership agreed to replace the top portion of the dash on the spot. They are not being as "generous" with me (might have annoyed them with my particularness when it comes to my car). Her dash looks good and the fade has not returned.

When I speak to the district service manager I will provide an update.

I have been using 303 and, although not perfect, it seems to be helping.
Also, search for and read this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=dash

Good luck! and dont give up!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

Elmer,

Thanks for the response! I looked on that other forum as well. I didn't see that post that Pinito made though that his friend got hers finished. What forum was that...i would like to be looking for his update. Are you trying to get your dash replaced as well? Any luck that you have had?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Racer

Check out my new thread "For all those with dash fade" it contains the contact infor of the dash manufacturer so that we can call and get some answers as to whether there is a new dash out that does not fade like a MOFO

If there isnt a new dash there is no use in letting some grease monkey rip apart your innards to replace your dash with one that will fade again.

It would be best to wait and push the mfr to get the issue fixed before we go about replacing our dashes just yet.

Lets get as many ppl as we can to contact the mfr and post the responses they get under my new thread. Im declaring war on this dash fade!

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/simple-question-122617/
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
not only my dash is fading

But everything else in my car is fading as well...everything turn whiteish and it very hard to clean out even with 303 or armor all. Under the sun i can see white spot all over the door black plastic door handle inside the car and all the kick panels..all the scatches review what appear to be white plastic under the black coat...did acura just use the cheapest plastic in the TL?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I's a-holes like this that piss me off (sorry mods). You have NO idea what you are talking about. I have used 303 on my dash since Month 2 after I bought my car. It is also garaged at work, home, and at the gym so it gets sun only when being driven and it is not driven in winter once it snows. It has 7500 miles on it.

So, next time, before you want to do your usual talk without thinking - DON'T. Get the facts before you add to a thread.

I will laugh my ass off whne this issue happens to you.
For your information, it did happen to me. 2 coats of 303 later it looked as good as new. So now I 303 it every couple of months.... no more whiting out spots. I also apply it to the rest of the non-leather portions of the interior.

Don't get me wrong, I agree Acura could have used better quality material on the dash, but with everything else going on, the thought of have more rattles and noises from plastic parts rubbing together issues from complete dash removal and re-installation is something I'd rather not think about. If you have a situation where 303 just ain't doin it, then definitely bitch to Acura.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Racer

For anyone thinking of replacing dash

As I have posted previously, one of my co-worker's had her dash replaced two months ago due to the fading. Just drove her car today and there are no rattles, creaks, etc due to the replacement. HOWEVER, her dash is fading AGAIN. I thought mine was bad, hers looks horrible. Some areas look totally white, others grey, others black. Her car is parked in the sun during the day with no sunshade but still....

At this point, I meet with the DPSM on the 22nd but don't know what they will do.

Luxury, near-luxury, whatever. I would not accept this on a $15K Hyundai, let alone a $35K Acura.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:38 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Acura can't seem to get a dash right. Second gens warp, third gens fade.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Racer

Anyone else with dash replacement experience? So far I have seen one great one and, unfortunately, heard about the poor one they did for jfp.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Wow, had no idea. my 12 yr. old dash in my accord (black) is as good as new! I could send pics, if you don't believe me.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a new 05 TL and as soon as I put some leather/vinyl conditioner on the dash, I started to see some indentation around the air bag.

I think we need to stop trying to find the right product to protect and fix the dash and leave it alone and just dust it. It's probably not reacting well to these products. Ho wmany people witha terrible fade did NOTHING (not even water) to the dash? Maybe it was fine to begin with and the problem is it hates products?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tzakiel
I have a new 05 TL and as soon as I put some leather/vinyl conditioner on the dash, I started to see some indentation around the air bag.

I think we need to stop trying to find the right product to protect and fix the dash and leave it alone and just dust it. It's probably not reacting well to these products. Ho wmany people witha terrible fade did NOTHING (not even water) to the dash? Maybe it was fine to begin with and the problem is it hates products?
you can add me to the list of faded dash. After reading here, I applied some 303 (several coats) and it looks better, hopefully it'll last.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

same problem with my 2007 TL, unbelievable.

I'm very very very happy for me the rest of the car and definitely i'm not considering on selling just because of that, but it sure is a sone on our shoes.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:18 PM
9th Gear

We bought a 2008 TL last August and started to notice this air bag ugliness after about 6 months of ownership. I brought car to service department and he said it was a known issues since the third gen came out. I said are you going to fix the problem he goes that I would have to file a complaint with Acura Client services. I did just that then called back client service to see what the status of my claim was about a week later and they stated I had to go back to the dealership and talk to the service manager so they can log it. Give me a break. What a run around..... I still need to bring it back to the dealership. Just had not had time too.

Quick Reply: WTF!? Dash fading!