Worth Doing 3rd Gear Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:57 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth Doing 3rd Gear Fix?

I have a 2004 6MT and I went into Acura trying to change my tranny oil to GM Syncromesh and they gave me their speech on how it voids warrenty and whatnot and explained how I still had another 6 or so months left on my 5 year powertrain warranty.

I have minor 3rd gear grinding issues and Acura is willing to do the fix under warranty but I am worried that they will mess up my whole transmission since they have to redo it all. Should I take their offer and let them do the 3rd gear TSB or not since my grinding issues are VERY minor and isolated to extremely cold days, they may be even caused by driver error.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Racer

All I will say is that I've had the GM Synchromesh FM fluid in my 2005 TL for over 70,000 miles and the 3rd gear problem is cured. I've had the transmission fluid tested twice now on change out and the results came back fine.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I have an '04 6MT and my 3rd gear problems disappeared when I switched to the GM Syncromesh, even in -20 degree F temperatures after being cold soaked for 8 hours while at work. Do it yourself, it's pretty easy, although you'll need to buy an extension. Getting the fill bolt off was a PITA, though. There's a good DIY on here somewhere, probably in the Garage.

I'm in ND and the nearest dealer is in Minneapolis. If I was near a dealer, I'd probably go ahead and have it fixed and then put GM SM back in. I think I've only read about one or two people who thought 3rd gear was still a little stiff after the fix.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by tlattack
I have minor 3rd gear grinding issues and Acura is willing to do the fix under warranty but I am worried that they will mess up my whole transmission since they have to redo it all. Should I take their offer and let them do the 3rd gear TSB or not since my grinding issues are VERY minor and isolated to extremely cold days, they may be even caused by driver error.
I'm going to stick with the GM Synchromesh FM. It's been in for 2 years (about 18K miles) now and just as good as the day I switched to it. I waited a year (hemmed and hawed) before I switched to the GM stuff. Tries the original and revised Acura/Honda MTFs and they didn't work. Back then there wasn't a TSB but even if there was I favored a least invasive approach.

Originally Posted by ChuckDuAll
I will say is that I've had the GM Synchromesh FM fluid in my 2005 TL for over 70,000 miles and the 3rd gear problem is cured. I've had the transmission fluid tested twice now on change out and the results came back fine.
Good to know about the tests coming back good. How often are you replacing it ?

With GM dealers pretty much disappearing daily in my area, I picked up 3 more qts just the other day so I have it for the next time I drain and refill. Would have bought 6qts if I thought the shelf life was long enough. If GM goes down I just want to make sure I have enough of their MTF. It makes that big a difference in the TL 6MT !
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

You might consider doing the 3rd gear fix under warranty and paying them to replace the clutch while they are in there; that'll save you the labor on the clutch when it eventually goes.
Another thought might be if the clutch is working fine, then put in the GM fluid and not have the dealer take it apart. Some have had problems with the clutches on these cars; better not to mess with it if you haven't had problems with it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

i had my 3rd gear fixed and i have not had one single problem with any of the gears not only did they replace the 3rd gear and synchro but replaced all my synchro's 1-6 i went to Rallye Acura if you live near long island, ny i highly recommend any one with this problem to go there and go to service manager mike
Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Adobeman

Good to know about the tests coming back good. How often are you replacing it ?
First time I replaced the fluid at 50K miles. Definitely too long in the transmission but I let it go because the 3rd gear issue was still under control. Even at 50K miles, the Pb and Fe readings came back only a bit high: Possibly due to residual metals from the factory fill 3rd gear issue. The TAN was fine.

Second time I replaced the fluid at 25K miles. Pb and Fe were fine. TAN was a bit higher, but not a problem. Blackstone saw no logical reason for the TAN increase, except that it was a different batch of fluid used.

At this point, I don't think I will continue to have the fluid tested. The results are good enough to convince me that the fluid works well in this transmission with no catastrophic effects going to happen.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tlattack
I have a 2004 6MT and I went into Acura trying to change my tranny oil to GM Syncromesh and they gave me their speech on how it voids warrenty and whatnot and explained how I still had another 6 or so months left on my 5 year powertrain warranty.
These dealers are a trip. I took mine in to have the TSB for the 3rd gear done and they wanted to change to the GM fluid first to see if the stopped the issue. Luckily it did and haven't much issue since. I guess it was easier to change the fluid than to tear down the tranny.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:03 AM
8th Gear

Yeah I'm kind of split on this. Either I put in the GM fluid and take the chance of them voiding my warranty and never being able to fix this minor problem. Or, I could just have them replace the thing all together, after all, they are a certified Acura dealer. What could they possibly do wrong?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Search around and read the older threads. Some have had reverse problems after the fix, and had to be re-done. The GM SM works great. If your 3rd gear issue is very

What could they possibly do wrong?
Man, I know some dealer horror stories, not a good question to ask. There is room for error when dropping and opening up a transmission, if a good tech works on it, should have no problem at all. But, there is always a few bad apples here and there. High volume dealers also have the occasional accident, little dings, ect. Some random lot kid might barely know how to drive a standard for example.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:49 AM
rangerrn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WDP-05 6-mt, navi

I have an appointment on December 29 to have Gary Force Acura in Franklin TN. look at the third gear issue in my 05. They say they will replace the tranny fluid with the new fully synthetic stuff. I had it replaced there fourteen months ago with the older fluid blend. That change didn't help.

My service writer says he has only seen two TL's with tranny problems.

I am not excited about letting them go in and tear my tranny apart. My shifting problems are not real bad. Mostly just annoying.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

My sentence above was cut off, oops. If your issue is very slight like most are, just try the fluid swap. It a proven method. The GM SM fluid is widely known for being a top performing fluid, many enthusiast, on all kinds of cars are using this stuff. Off the top of my head, I think it cost about twice as much as the new Honda MTF per quart.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend having the TSB done. Prior to having it done on my TL, it was difficult getting into third during fast shifting, and it would grind on occasion during normal shifting.
Dealer was more than happy to install the GM synchromesh fluid I supplied them when I dropped the car off. Not one single problem since.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Hey, Guys. A newbie here (not to Acura , had a '99TL and '03 type S) but never the less, I just bought a '05 TL 6MT with 72k miles. I don't know what the 3rd gear issue is, but I've noticed on mine, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd , sometimes it will only go into 3rd if U push the shifter hard forward, you can "feel" a "click" and a "bump" and it will be OK.
Sometimes if I don't push it hard it will "pop" back out of gear. Only the third though. The clutch engages low and it seems in good working order, maybe the first gear requires some work getting into, but not sure, definitely not like the third. Any good ideas for me ? Should I get the extended 2yrs/24k miles Acura Warranty ? They are not guaranteeing a fix even with that ...
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Redlantrn
I highly recommend having the TSB done. Prior to having it done on my TL, it was difficult getting into third during fast shifting, and it would grind on occasion during normal shifting.
Dealer was more than happy to install the GM synchromesh fluid I supplied them when I dropped the car off. Not one single problem since.
Your post seems to imply that you think the TSB is to use the GM fluid. It's not for that. It involves taking apart the transmission and replacing gear sets. Which is it you had done ? The TSB and the GM SMFM are two very different things.

Originally Posted by Bogdan TL
Hey, Guys. A newbie here (not to Acura , had a '99TL and '03 type S) but never the less, I just bought a '05 TL 6MT with 72k miles. I don't know what the 3rd gear issue is, but I've noticed on mine, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd , sometimes it will only go into 3rd if U push the shifter hard forward, you can "feel" a "click" and a "bump" and it will be OK.
Sometimes if I don't push it hard it will "pop" back out of gear. Only the third though. The clutch engages low and it seems in good working order, maybe the first gear requires some work getting into, but not sure, definitely not like the third. Any good ideas for me ? Should I get the extended 2yrs/24k miles Acura Warranty ? They are not guaranteeing a fix even with that ...
For the shifting you describe exactly what many have esperiences. Put in the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified MTF and don't look back. It's totally resolved the issue for >99% of all that have tried it. It's relatively simple to do yourself and doesn't involve having to tear apart the car.

The clutch, it's self adjusting. Basically, you have no idea how the prior owner drove it. It may be fine or it may be on the verge of slipping. A rrap shoot for sure.

The warranty? Depends on the price and if it will cover a clutch (which I doubt it will). I'd typically so "screw any extended warranties" but if you can swindle one that really will cover the clutch it might be worth the gamble. My gut still tells me you should bank your money and not give it to some 3rd party [vapor] policy provider.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Adobeman:

I had the third gear TSB done (synchros replacement). I gave them the tranny fluid when I dropped vehicle off. They replaced like 2 pages worth of parts, and they performed the TSB without giving me a hard time, giving me a loaner for 4 days.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Instructor

So, I've been pondering on this as well. I've done a lot of searching on the forums and it seems most people have mixed results with the 3rd gear TSB fix.

I have a 08 TL-S with only 650 miles on it or so. I've had the 3rd gear pop out on me like 3-4 times. So now I'm very careful when putting the car into 3rd. It's more of an annoyance than anything and takes a bit of enjoyment out of driving my car.

I've called some local dealerships and they all say that I need to bring in the car to be "diagnosed" before they decide what to do about it. People have suggested printing out the TSB and some say they will fix it instantly if you print it out. I'm just not sure what I should do. I'm under 1k miles so the car is pretty much brand new. Not sure if I want them to be tearing into my transmission. But then again, I would like to have my transmission "updated" if there is supposed to be a new part that eliminates this problem altogether. Considered the GM fluid as well, but I was really looking to put in the Redline fluid for performance, not sure how it stacks up against GM in terms of shifting smoothness.

Sorta on the fence here and looking for opinions on how to proceed.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
100% success rate:

Enough said.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
LiQuiDFleX81

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by princelybug
100% success rate:

Enough said.
how many qts of this do you need? is this a complete tranny flushout and replace with this?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Check your owners manual, should say what the refill amount is. It's around 2.5 or something. Simple drain and refill.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to say I'm glad that there's a place that I can come and find someone else with the EXACT problem I have (Bogdan TL). I just started researching this problem as I've only had my 2006 (40000 miles) for about a week. The previous owner denies noticing it. I'll take to the dealer tomorrow just to see what my particular dealer says...
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by powerflow
Check your owners manual, should say what the refill amount is. It's around 2.5 or something. Simple drain and refill.
If you want to do a FULL drain/fill, you have to have 7 quarts, as the refill amount is 2.3 quarts. Some people just buy 9 quarts and go 3x3. It works both ways.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

^^^ That would be a manual fluid flush, not really a drain/fill. I believe most people have just swapped the fluid with 1 drain/refill. That's what I did on mine, and it worked like a charm. Bought 3 quarts and still have a partial one left.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by powerflow
^^^ That would be a manual fluid flush, not really a drain/fill. I believe most people have just swapped the fluid with 1 drain/refill. That's what I did on mine, and it worked like a charm. Bought 3 quarts and still have a partial one left.
That's right. That's what I was trying to say. I drain/fill 3x every 30K on mine.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

That's right. That's what I was trying to say. I drain/fill 3x every 30K on mine.
3X on an MT ????

The 3x drain/refill is for the AT where you physically can't do a full drain and refill at one time. 3x on an MT is a waist and not needed since it drains completely. At most ,and it's a stretch, all you need to do is let it drain and then perhaps pour 1/2 qt through it while it's open to flush anything out from the bottom of the MT. Do a 1x at lower intervals and you'll end up using less fluid than the 3x and have it be fresher as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
If you want to do a FULL drain/fill, you have to have 7 quarts, as the refill amount is 2.3 quarts. Some people just buy 9 quarts and go 3x3. It works both ways.
Careful. A drain and fill requires 2.3 U.S. quarts. An overhaul (which constitutes a dry fill) requires 2.6 U.S. quarts. See page 13-11 of the 2004 Service Manual.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by Adobeman
3X on an MT ????

The 3x drain/refill is for the AT where you physically can't do a full drain and refill at one time. 3x on an MT is a waist and not needed since it drains completely. At most ,and it's a stretch, all you need to do is let it drain and then perhaps pour 1/2 qt through it while it's open to flush anything out from the bottom of the MT. Do a 1x at lower intervals and you'll end up using less fluid than the 3x and have it be fresher as well.
I should've specified. I drain/fill mine 3x every 30k on my 6MT. Just my preference.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Careful. A drain and fill requires 2.3 U.S. quarts. An overhaul (which constitutes a dry fill) requires 2.6 U.S. quarts. See page 13-11 of the 2004 Service Manual.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 AM
71Q

I just did the GM FMS about 1000 miles ago. Im angry i didnt get off my a** and do it earlier. Its incredible, and has made me like the TL far more than before! 3rd gear garbage is gone, and it actually feels like im shifting a car, not rowing a stick in a bag of rocks. Its worth the work for sure.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Instructor

3rd gear problem gone?

Very interesting, 3rd gear did pop out on me 3-4 times but it has worked great for the last 250 or so miles I've put onto the car.

Not sure if it's just my imagination but 3rd gear actually seems a bit smoother than a few days before. Still has that slight bump when engine is cold but no pop out. Don't know if it's maybe because the transmission fluid is just circulating better now or what. Currently have about 750 miles on my car. Have not applied the GM fluid or any type of fix. Hopefully it will stay like this.

Having passed the breakin period for my car I have been driving a bit more aggressively, and boy is it fun to drop into 3rd on the freeway to get around that pesky semi or truck.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 AM
rangerrn

Took my 05 WDP TL 6-MT/navi w/40k on it, in to Gary Force Acura on 12/30 at about 0930hrs. I explained to the service writer my minor shifting issues, 2nd to 3rd gear shifts were occasionally not easy. I had actually taken the car in for the recall but since I had it there I thought I would have them check my transmission shifting problem, which were minor. My clutch had a bit of a squeak when I depressed it as well. I suggested to the service writer that we just change the fluid, even though I had done that 10k ago and see what happpens. Additionally, I spoke to my service tech, he and I know one another and have a rapor. I ask him if this tranny work was something I should try to avoid. He was very reassuring and said that it was a task that he had done many times over his 20 years as a Acura tech. He said not to worry. I worry anyway. This tech is the NSX tech. So if Gary Force trusts him to work on those.....

The service writer called tuesday afternoon and said they had to order parts for the tranny stating further that the parts would be in wednesday. He could not tell me what parts were ordered however. He was a very NEW service writer. Very polite/courteous and all though just not very knowledgeable.

Update, parts did not come in until wednesday afternoon so they will have to keep my TL over the holiday.

Service writer told me that it will probably be monday before the car is ready. (He told me that my car had been kept inside and in a service bay the whole time making it relatively safe from scratches/dings.) That is ok. I just want the shifting issue repaired, and the squeaky clutch too.

They gave me a 09 MDX all wheel drive model to use. Gee is that a change. Window sticker shows 15 city 20 highway miles per gallon. Not used to that kinda mileage. I get 30-33 with my TL. Anyway, its kinda cool sitting up high and all.

I will let everyone here know how the car and I come out on this. (if I have to pay anything and if the shifing improves)

Stay tuned sports fans.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Instructor

I drained my MT yesterday - 2.4 quarts came out - the mechanic said it looked pretty clean , he would not have changed it ...
Filled it up with 2.4 quarts of GM Synchromesh Friction Modified - and - surprise - all the problems are gone- shifts like silk. Amazing. Thank You guys !!!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 PM
q74
3rd Gear

I brought my 05 tl (MT) love the car but having the same 3rd gear problem !
Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by q74
I brought my 05 tl (MT) love the car but having the same 3rd gear problem !
Same here. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the 3rd gear gearset under warranty. Good to go now.

maybe in 50K i'll change over to pennzoil synchromesh. Not gonna waste my money on the GM synchromesh.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 AM
rangerrn

05 tl fixed!

I turned in the MDX and picked up my TL from Gary Force/Nashville a couple of days ago and then drove it the 70 or so miles back home. The notchy shifting problem that had occured only occasionally before has not happened once. It shifts just as it should. I have no complaints.

Oh, and there was no charge.

I spoke to my service technician about the work he had done to my car. He said I would be very happy with the results. He was right, I am.

I also ask him his opinion on the GM Synchromesh fluid. He said that it was his belief that fluid increases wear in the TL's transmission. He suggested sticking with the Acura full synthetic. More info to ponder.....
Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

I had the dealer 3rd gear fix done about 2K miles ago. It shifts like a dream now - no issues whatsoever. (Courtesy Acura in Orlando)
Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just had the 3rd gear TSB performed on my car, shifts are as smooth as butter into third.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Instructor

is
the GM synchromesh for manual only?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vt4lifecuf
is
the GM synchromesh for manual only?
Absolutely.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Instructor

is there any auto transmission fluid that are better than honda atf
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Check Amsoil's website. From what I understand, the Honda ATF is fine, but I do not know this for certain.

Quick Reply: Worth Doing 3rd Gear Fix?