Windshield stress crack

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 514 Likes on 290 Posts
Angry Windshield stress crack

Okay, well today as I'm driving home in my 08 tl-s going about 75mph on the highway i hear this 'TAC' sound, then i notice about a 12inch crack in my windshield on the driver's side.

Once I get home, I inspect the crack, only to notice that there's no rock chip or anything, it's just crack that started on the Driver's side A-pillard, that extends about 15 or so inches horizontally about eye level...

Tomorrow I'll probably drive by Acura, but i wanted to know if this happened to anyone here. I had this happen on my Jeep when i was offroading during a transition when i was on 2 wheels... but in this case was just cruizin down the highway.. and perhaps i might have hit a bridge junction, but whatever it was it was minor, because all I remember was the windshield noise.

thanks,
Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
If you take pictures, I can tell you where the crack originated, and approx. how long it took to get where it is today.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
If you take pictures, I can tell you where the crack originated, and approx. how long it took to get where it is today.

Without the pictures, I can tell you that it started on his windshield, and it went to wherever it is now pretty quick

This doesn't sound like a rock chip that spread over 6 monthes. Plus - a crack is a crack, theres no denying it. Whether it took a millisecond or 6 monthes - it's looking like a new window for you man. Hopefully you're not putting all of your eggs into the "Acura should replace it" basket.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have an 04 and this happened to me last week. Mine started at the bottom of the windshield, went up to eye level and then horizontal. Same thing - no chips or apparent point of impact.........
Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

well, consider that my TL is barely about a month old and has 1500 miles... And the crack took probably a second to form, i know for sure there wasn't the smallest chip last Saturday, cuz i washed it.
as i said i had that happen with my jeep when the chassis was under stress, the crack opened up at a bad weld spot that caused added pressure on the window.

I'll take a pic tomorrow if you guys want.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
open your hood and remove the top two covers. You will see a black bar thats about 2 inches in diameter stretch across. Tug on this bar and see if it is loose. The TL's windsheild is very fragile, its acoustic glass so it chips and cracks easily, so a small chip can cause some serious damage.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
This happened to me last week when a technician performing dent removal after a hail storm replaced the roof channel drip moulding and made a small "nick" in the windshield that was conceiled\out of sight without very close at the edge of the glass. Upon pulling out of the parking lot, my windsheild basically cracked in half horizontally starting from that corner. Needless to say, im getting a new windslield tomorrow free of charge.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
open your hood and remove the top two covers. You will see a black bar thats about 2 inches in diameter stretch across. Tug on this bar and see if it is loose. The TL's windsheild is very fragile, its acoustic glass so it chips and cracks easily, so a small chip can cause some serious damage.
ok, I checked that this morning, it was nice and tight..

here's a pic of the windshield
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Racer

So what is the best solution? Obviously the glass needs replaced. The lowest price I found where I live was $273 from one of the local shops. Anyone know what the dealer costs, is it better to get OEM glass?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
No problem. You live in Florida. Call your insurance company and explain what happened. You WILL have it replaced free. Florida law. My minivans windshield was shattered from flying debris. Windshield was replaced the very next day in my driveway. As long as the crack is longer than a dollar bill it will be replaced. Nothing out of pocket and no rate increase either. Post how it goes.........
Old 09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
No problem. You live in Florida. Call your insurance company and explain what happened. You WILL have it replaced free. Florida law. My minivans windshield was shattered from flying debris. Windshield was replaced the very next day in my driveway. As long as the crack is longer than a dollar bill it will be replaced. Nothing out of pocket and no rate increase either. Post how it goes.........
That's what I'll do.
I went to acura today, talk to my service guy and his boss. They said that to them, it looks like a rock chip, but I can feel free to go to a glass place, if they say otherwise, they will gladly honor it under warranty.
So... i go to glass-pros in the area, they say that it's a rock chip, a small one, but a rock none the less.
So now I'll call to have our insurance agent switched, the one right now irritates the crap out of me.

For some reason I am really curious of this florida law, because, I'm of the mindset that 'nothing is free' but i'll call the insurance and ask.

thanks for everyone's replies
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
From what I understand it's not just FL. Almost all insurance companies will replace a windshield for free. Especially if the defect is within the "line of sight". This service is also excluded from the deductible (you pay nothing).

The logic being that they would rather pay for a new windshield instead of a new front end or entire car because you were looking at a crack in the windshield instead of looking through the windshield at the road.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
That's what I'll do.
I went to acura today, talk to my service guy and his boss. They said that to them, it looks like a rock chip, but I can feel free to go to a glass place, if they say otherwise, they will gladly honor it under warranty.
So... i go to glass-pros in the area, they say that it's a rock chip, a small one, but a rock none the less.
So now I'll call to have our insurance agent switched, the one right now irritates the crap out of me.

For some reason I am really curious of this florida law, because, I'm of the mindset that 'nothing is free' but i'll call the insurance and ask.

thanks for everyone's replies
Your very welcome and good to see you join us here in AZ.......
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Your very welcome and good to see you join us here in AZ.......

hehe, thanks for the welcome, I'm actually a member from a while back, I used to own a white 2001 CL typeS.... automatic and only mod was an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-D2 unit, with ipod, xm, navtraffic, and some subs in the trunk.

About the TL, it's getting a new windshield Friday, I'll take some pix when they replace it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Racer

Just to clarify on the windshield/insurance issue....

Most insurance companies will REPAIR a chipped or very small cracked windshield for free (no deductible) to avoid paying for a new windshield when the chip/crack grows. However most windshield replacement falls under Comp and is subject to the deductible - unless you have a policy provision that provides a smaller glass deductible OR you have glass coverage OR you live in FL and glass is replaced with no deductible.

PhilB81 you are right, nothing is free, ultimately the "free glass" in Florida gets built into the price of Comprehensive coverage.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by westas2
Just to clarify on the windshield/insurance issue....

Most insurance companies will REPAIR a chipped or very small cracked windshield for free (no deductible) to avoid paying for a new windshield when the chip/crack grows. However most windshield replacement falls under Comp and is subject to the deductible - unless you have a policy provision that provides a smaller glass deductible OR you have glass coverage OR you live in FL and glass is replaced with no deductible.

PhilB81 you are right, nothing is free, ultimately the "free glass" in Florida gets built into the price of Comprehensive coverage.
Yes, I assume the insurance company covers itself somehow, but my insurance isn't that expensive, plus to me programs like this leave themseves open for people that abuse it.

anyways, tomorrow when the person comes to replace the windshield, I'll ask if it's ok to take some photos, if it is, i'll post here.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Be cautious as to what winshield they are installling, whether it be OEM or aftermarket. Check tint shade and look for any distortions once installed.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
What is acoustic glass? I have to pay to replace mine b/c I'm not in FL. Do I need to worry about using the local glass shop vs. OEM Acura glass?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by westas2
What is acoustic glass? I have to pay to replace mine b/c I'm not in FL. Do I need to worry about using the local glass shop vs. OEM Acura glass?
the acoustic glass is where the glass has a pocket filled with gas inside to reduce cabin noise. sit inside a minivan or a civic or somthing and have someone spray the water on the windsheild with good force. You will hear it pretty well, now do the same on the TL, you will hear it, but it will be muted. I would make sure that the glass shop does a good job on the install since the windsheild does also keep the TL from flexing, as far as the acousitic glass, its your preference.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Racer

thanks csmeance
Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
From what I understand it's not just FL. Almost all insurance companies will replace a windshield for free. Especially if the defect is within the "line of sight". This service is also excluded from the deductible (you pay nothing).

The logic being that they would rather pay for a new windshield instead of a new front end or entire car because you were looking at a crack in the windshield instead of looking through the windshield at the road.
It's defiantely not an insurance thing, according to FL law, if your windhield is damaged it has to be replaced free of charge by the insurance company. This is a saftey hazard. Now like westas2 said the cost of this is built into the comprehensive part of your insurance. So if you do not have full coverage you will have to pay for it out of pocket minus the deductible which is what your insurance company will allow and it will be claimed as a colision claim. This happened to me last year. I found out that even though my car is registered in FL and home of record is FL, but since i have VA insurance, due to me being stationed here i was S.O.L. for getting the free windshield. As of now i don't know of any other states that FL that have this law, i will be doing a google search for this right after this.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 PM
2011 BMW 335i

^normally if your car is registered in FL, you have to have a FL insurance policy for it. You might want to check into this because depending on where you live in FL or VA the rate could vary. You could be paying more money by having your car insured in VA instead of FL.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

okay, I have the new windshield on the car. As far as acoustic glass, I asked the question to the installer guy, and he said that it's not always gas that's used, he said these windshields all they have is a thicker 'plastic' coat in the middle which doesn't carry the noise as much as solid glass.

as far as dealing with the insurance company, it was super easy. I called this 3rd party number that allstate gave me, the girl on the phone asked me a few easy questions, then she asked if I have a prefered place or if I need her to recommend a place. I said that my Acura dealership recommended this place, to which I gave her the number, she called them and then transfered me to the glass replacement company, as I arranged a convenient time to get it replaced, she faxed them whatever info they needed.

here are a few pix

[IMG]https://acurazine.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=132&pictureid=1865
[/IMG]

tada..
Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^where is after picture?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL1999
^where is after picture?
Ditto.

With nationwide, they replace/repair it for free - if you have a comprehensive policy with them. I found this out before... now it's always a question I ask any potential insurance provider.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ok, I checked that this morning, it was nice and tight..

here's a pic of the windshield
Dude, that is an EXACT replica of the crack that just appeared in my windshield last weekend. Same spot, size and weird curve. I will check to make sure my strut tower bar is tight but there must be something else that makes them crack that way.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

In my case it was a legitimate rock chip that made it do that. The guy that replaced the windshield said that the tempered glass is pretty fragile around it's edge. But I have to say that i felt the crack spread too easily over night with the car just sitting in the garage. My old jeep had several track and they didn't budge for a year.

oh and here's the 'after' pic:

Last edited by PhilB81; 12-04-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added after pic
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Vroooom!!!

And to add insult to injury, my insurance won't cover a free replacement. The good thing is that I only have a $250 deductible. The bad thing is that it will have to wait until after Christmas to get fixed.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
And to add insult to injury, my insurance won't cover a free replacement. The good thing is that I only have a $250 deductible. The bad thing is that it will have to wait until after Christmas to get fixed.
That sucks!! I have allstate it was super easy!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
I thought our windshields had some kind of sound proof thing (don't know the exact name for it) and were over a g to replace?? NO?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
767.11 for OEM windshield, 15.46 for top bridge seal, 150.00 install = 932.57 I know because I'm having mine replaced on the 5th. Pay my deductable and insurance covers the rest.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
There are only a few states in the US that waive the deductible for windshield replacements or repairs as a part of comprehensive coverage. The states of Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts and South Carolina waive the deductible and thus are referred to by some as zero deductible states with regards to windshield claims. Thus without needing to pay a deductible you can call this a "free" windshield replacement.

In these states your insurance company is required by law to repair or replace your windshield with no deductible charged—as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle. Florida and Massachusetts only fully cover windshields, but Kentucky and South Carolina cover all glass replacement with no deductible.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 2 inch long imperfection on one of the inside corners of my windshield when I bought it new. After they tried cleaning it with no results, they decided to replace it. I don't know as much about our windshields as some of the posters above but I can confirm they are fragile...they broke one trying to install, and the next 2 shattered in shipping. Finally #4 made it on the car.

For those getting a windshield replacement, check the outter seal afterward because mine was very kinked and had waves in it towards the top. I'm at the getting everything I can out of the warranty 45K mark and am going to try and get them to straighten this out.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I just want to add that the the insurance is required to 'fix' the windshield. So if the crack is small and/or not in the vision area, they will pay for a glass company to inject your windshield, but they won't pay for the replacement. The Price quoted above (700-something) for an OEM windshield sounds acurate. I acutally got the none-OEM one. It was less costly for the insurance company, and there's no extra noise or any problems that I can tell with it.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Awesome, my car has 11700 miles now, and my windshield is cracked again! luckly this one is smaller (about 6inches) and it's low on the passenger side, so i may not have to replace the windshield.

what a pain in the ass
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I had the same exact crack on the same sode.. u said u just bought ur car?? i brought it to the dealer n they repplaced it no charge. stress fracture is what they said..
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

wow u guys paid for this crap to get fixed? this happened to me about 6 months ago and i brought it to the dealer expecting to raise hell to get it fixed and the tech came out to my car withing 5 minutes diagnosed that it was a stress fracture and no rock chip or anything of the sort and they replaced it for free
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
here in MN we have the option for glass coverage at an extra $10 (for me) on our policy......never had to use it but it's nice to have since CLS windshields are not cheap and I do get to specify OEM only glass
Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Vroooom!!!

Awesome, my car has 11700 miles now, and my windshield is cracked again!
That is my fear if I get mine replaced. I do not want to see the crack again EVER. If I do, I will be pissed.

Originally Posted by TLNY04
wow u guys paid for this crap to get fixed? this happened to me about 6 months ago and i brought it to the dealer expecting to raise hell to get it fixed and the tech came out to my car withing 5 minutes diagnosed that it was a stress fracture and no rock chip or anything of the sort and they replaced it for free
Stress from what I wonder. Is there a bulletin out for this? I will replace the first one but I won't pay for it again if it cracks in the same spot.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
That is my fear if I get mine replaced. I do not want to see the crack again EVER. If I do, I will be pissed.

Stress from what I wonder. Is there a bulletin out for this? I will replace the first one but I won't pay for it again if it cracks in the same spot.
mine started from the bottom right of the windshield infront of where the passenger sits and went up and eventually across and brought it to the dealer and they looked at it and saw that nothin hit it so they will replace it sine it is a stress crack and i researched it online many many people have gotten the same exact thing in the same exact spot i wouldnt pay for it

Quick Reply: Windshield stress crack