Whining Noise on a 07 Acura TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining Noise on a 07 Acura TL-S

Hello,

My 07 Acura TL-S started making this noise around two weeks ago. The noise was there for like a day or two, after that it stopped. A week ago the noise came back again which made me start doing my search to see if someone else had the same noise before. I only found a video replicating the same noise I have but they were no comments on the video about the fix or the cause of it. Before I posted this thread, I did an power steering flush and replaced the serpentine belt since I bought this car a month ago. I was hoping that the power steering flush or the serpentine belt took care of the noise, but that's not the case. The noise is still there and I am wondering what it could be. I also saw some videos and threads talking about the "O" rings replacement for the PS pump that causes noise when air gets in, but the noise did not compare to the one my car is having. I recorded two videos about the whining noise which I will provide links below. I would appreciate anyone's help and input to get this fix. Thank you in advance.

Whining Noise

Whining Noise Inside Cabin

IF YOUTUBE LINKS ARE NOT ALLOWED PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL REMOVE THEM.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Cruisin'

Alternator going bad? Is it more like this.
https://youtu.be/8tigQxcM1i0
Old 07-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
That sounds like it could be the power steering pump, does the noise change at all when you turn the steering wheel back and forth? I'd do the O ring anyway because at some point you will need to change it. Guess it could be alternator as well because I have heard them sound like that.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
It's hard to hear the sound in the second video but the first one it sounds like the PS pump to me. I did the O-ring thing and it didn't solve my issue. I replaced the PS pump and sound is gone.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Agree, first vid sounds like PS pump. Check the reservoir. Are there bubbles in it?

Have you had the PS Safety Recall done on that car?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
I'd say power steering pump if it gets noiser lock-to-lock. Mine started making that noise last week & there are bubbles in my PS fluid reservoir.
The O-Rings in it aren't too old as well.
Getting it replaced sometimes this week.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MadeYouReadThis
Alternator going bad? Is it more like this.
https://youtu.be/8tigQxcM1i0
This is exactly the noise my car is having.

Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
That sounds like it could be the power steering pump, does the noise change at all when you turn the steering wheel back and forth? I'd do the O ring anyway because at some point you will need to change it. Guess it could be alternator as well because I have heard them sound like that.

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
It's hard to hear the sound in the second video but the first one it sounds like the PS pump to me. I did the O-ring thing and it didn't solve my issue. I replaced the PS pump and sound is gone.
Originally Posted by mtiaz
I'd say power steering pump if it gets noiser lock-to-lock. Mine started making that noise last week & there are bubbles in my PS fluid reservoir.
The O-Rings in it aren't too old as well.
Getting it replaced sometimes this week.
Thank you for everyone that replied to my problem and for your input. After reading all of your comments, I checked everything you guys said. I did not see any bubbles in my power steering reservoir and the noise did not change while steering from lock to lock. The noise only changes when accelerating like in the videos I provided and also on the video that "MadeYouReadThis" posted. I kept doing my search and found this video(posted below), where it replicates the same noise that I am having. The person disconnects the alternator and the noise goes away, I did the same earlier and the noise was gone until I connected the alternator again. This makes sense now because my car drained two batteries overnight last week and I thought it was the "HFL" trying to boot overnight. I still disconnected the HFL but it looks like my problem is the alternator after all. Will also be replacing my "O" rings, thank you for the recommendation.
Skip to 55 sec mark of the video.

Last edited by Danieliyo; 07-23-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
Glad you got it figured out!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:05 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Danieliyo
... This makes sense now because my car drained two batteries overnight last week...
Kind of an important item you left out...Have a shop test your charging system.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Agreed - but at least the OP figured it out.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

I agree, I thought the noise wasn't related to that at first.

But after 3 dead batteries and the annoying whining noise, I replaced the alternator and everything is back to normal. No more whining noise and drained battery!
Also replaced the "O" rings of the PS pump while I was doing that.
Thanks again for he help and input!
Attached Thumbnails Whining Noise on a 07 Acura TL-S-20170724_194523.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 12:43 AM
Race Director

Glad you got it fixed What did you go with for the replacement alternator? Source and price?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Cruisin'

Glad you got it fixed What did you go with for the replacement alternator? Source and price?
Thank you! Normally, I get my parts from oemacuraparts.com, but I went to my local Acura dealer since I was in a crunch for time to get the issue fixed. I printed out the online price ($280 including core charge) and asked them if they could price match it. They told me the best they could do was $346 plus tax, which included the $50 core charge that would be refunded when I returned the old alternator, so that would make it about $300 bucks. I ended up getting a Honda remanufactured alternator since that was all they had in stock at the time. I did ask for the price on a brand new one and they said $500.
Does the price sound fair to you guys?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Danieliyo
Thank you! Normally, I get my parts from oemacuraparts.com, but I went to my local Acura dealer since I was in a crunch for time to get the issue fixed. I printed out the online price ($280 including core charge) and asked them if they could price match it. They told me the best they could do was $346 plus tax, which included the $50 core charge that would be refunded when I returned the old alternator, so that would make it about $300 bucks. I ended up getting a Honda remanufactured alternator since that was all they had in stock at the time. I did ask for the price on a brand new one and they said $500.
Does the price sound fair to you guys?

Thanks
When I had this happen on one of my TLs the noise went away. Didn't think of it much car still worked fine after weeks of driving it. But it finally decided to Die had to get the car towed home replaced the alternator car was fixed. As for the price I think my local Acura was selling me a brand new one for $280 if I recall somewhere around there but not $500
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MadeYouReadThis
When I had this happen on one of my TLs the noise went away. Didn't think of it much car still worked fine after weeks of driving it. But it finally decided to Die had to get the car towed home replaced the alternator car was fixed. As for the price I think my local Acura was selling me a brand new one for $280 if I recall somewhere around there but not $500
Before I even asked for the price match, the regular price they had for the Honda remanufactured alternator was $394 before the $50 core charge and the brand new one was $594 now that I remember exactly. Every Honda/Acura dealer has different pricing which I believe they mark up the prices for regular consumers.