Whats this sound my car makes? *video*

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats this sound my car makes? *video*

whenever i go over speed bumps or a big dip in the road it starts making a squeeking noise. here is a video of me going over speed bumps two times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs465afXG2I
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Instructor

The squeeky sound?

I had something like that on my GMC envoy and it was from my upper control arms. I just had to grease them up a bit.

or could be shocks?

Go over the speed bump one wheel at a time and see if its on one side only..
also push down on the car on one side only and see if you hear the noise. Might be able to isolate it more.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Motavar
The squeeky sound?

I had something like that on my GMC envoy and it was from my upper control arms. I just had to grease them up a bit.

or could be shocks?

Go over the speed bump one wheel at a time and see if its on one side only..
also push down on the car on one side only and see if you hear the noise. Might be able to isolate it more.
its just coming from the front right side. i just had my two front shocks replaced
Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Sounds a lot like swaybar bushings.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Sounds a lot like swaybar bushings.
any idea how much it cost to fix
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

I managed to replace mine (stock) without taking the bar off or lowering the subframe. It was a real pain but doable. You can try and squirt some grease in the bushings with one of those small syringes or replace the bushings.

If you replace them and if they say they must remove the swaybar, you might want to look at upgrading the swaybar while you're in there since a Type-S front bar is under $40. Of course you would have to upgrade the rear bar too to balance it out.

The easiest test would be to remove the endlinks on the swaybar and wire it up out of the way. If the squeak goes away it's the swaybar.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Racer

I managed to replace mine (stock) without taking the bar off or lowering the subframe. It was a real pain but doable. You can try and squirt some grease in the bushings with one of those small syringes or replace the bushings.

If you replace them and if they say they must remove the swaybar, you might want to look at upgrading the swaybar while you're in there since a Type-S front bar is under $40. Of course you would have to upgrade the rear bar too to balance it out.

The easiest test would be to remove the endlinks on the swaybar and wire it up out of the way. If the squeak goes away it's the swaybar.
i dont know how to fix it myself so im going to have to take it to a mechanic. how much you think that will cost?

also....is this a problem that i would have to fix immediately?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Instructor

I had a similar noise and dealer said it was my axles. They replaced both under warranty. I imagine excessive wheel hop was to blame. How hard are you on the car?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chasingthecool
i dont know how to fix it myself so im going to have to take it to a mechanic. how much you think that will cost?

also....is this a problem that i would have to fix immediately?
You can let this go forever and it will never cause a problem. It's annoying but that's it, no problems.

Make sure to have them diagnose it first. I think it's the swaybar bushings but I could always be wrong.

I'm not sure of the labor but if they say they have to drop the subrame and partially remove the swaybar, don't be surprised if they try and charge you a few hours of labor. I did mine without dropping the subframe or removing the swaybar and I actually installed poly bushings on the stock bar but it wasn't fun.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Racer

You can let this go forever and it will never cause a problem. It's annoying but that's it, no problems.

Make sure to have them diagnose it first. I think it's the swaybar bushings but I could always be wrong.

I'm not sure of the labor but if they say they have to drop the subrame and partially remove the swaybar, don't be surprised if they try and charge you a few hours of labor. I did mine without dropping the subframe or removing the swaybar and I actually installed poly bushings on the stock bar but it wasn't fun.
the sound is gone now. i guess thats good? it just went away lol