Water in under-dash fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in under-dash fuse box

Yesterday, after a day of heavy rain, I came back home and shortly after parking the car, the alarm went off for no reason. After a not so short investigation, I found a bit of water dripping at the bottom of the fuse box.

Around the fuse box, everything seemed dry (carpet, surrounding wires, etc.). Has anybody seen that, or does anybody have any idea how the water can get there ?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/need-your-help-electrical-problems-08-tl-s-703962/
Have also seen the PGM fried from water-clogged A/C drain

Last edited by Turbonut; 01-26-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear

I thing at might have found the problem.

When removing the fuse box, I found that the drain from the sunroof runs just behind the fuze box. The junction between the drain hoze and valve is located beside the back connectors of the fuse box. When the box is in place, they are in contact (a bit disapointed with the design).

I placed a plastice between the drain and fuze box to prevent the water (assuming it was coming rom there) to come in contact with the wires and connectors.

I just hope it is goin to solve my problem...
Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
The drain tube from the moonroof....yes, this is what I thought of too right away. The drain tube gets my vote for the cause.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
6th Gear

Mimon, the above thread that Turbonut posted was my thread. If you still end up having the problem I have something for you to try. The dealer discovered the leak by opening the hood (and maybe taking off the fender too, can't remember) and flashing a flashlight up from underneath near the A column on the driver's side. If you see light peek through then that is a problem.

In my 08 Type-S the water leaked in through a gap in the "body seam" that wasn't finished at the factory. The water was soaked up by the noise dampening foam (literally like a sponge) next to the body. But, one of the wires to the fuse box ran through the foam. So the after the foam was full the water would start to drip down the wire all the way to the fuse box.

Sometimes the result would be minor, like doors locks, windows, or something acting up. Sometimes it would fry the whole fuse box. I went through two fuse boxes before they discovered the problem.

Anyway hope it helps. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1SLVRType-S
Mimon, the above thread that Turbonut posted was my thread. If you still end up having the problem I have something for you to try. The dealer discovered the leak by opening the hood (and maybe taking off the fender too, can't remember) and flashing a flashlight up from underneath near the A column on the driver's side. If you see light peek through then that is a problem.

In my 08 Type-S the water leaked in through a gap in the "body seam" that wasn't finished at the factory. The water was soaked up by the noise dampening foam (literally like a sponge) next to the body. But, one of the wires to the fuse box ran through the foam. So the after the foam was full the water would start to drip down the wire all the way to the fuse box.

Sometimes the result would be minor, like doors locks, windows, or something acting up. Sometimes it would fry the whole fuse box. I went through two fuse boxes before they discovered the problem.

Anyway hope it helps. Good luck.
Is this a common issue? And if so, what years are affected? Good info!