AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Warped Rotors Question (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/warped-rotors-question-855128/)

sleeper22 04-24-2012 07:48 AM

Warped Rotors Question

Will warped front rotors make your front feel as if its out of balance? I have been noticing recently that at slower speeds (20-40mph) and sometimes at speeds a little higher as if the front end is out of balance. The alignment is ok and awhile back I had my tires rotated. I was wondering if the rear set that were rotated to the front might be out of balance but for a week or so the car felt just fine with no issues. In the last week I have been noticing more of that front end shake so I am wondering if the front rotors are causing this problem. Tires are Michelin MXM4 and have plenty of life left. Also I had my rotors turned a few months ago and they felt fine but now they are getting back to where they were. Guess I better change my rotors and pads soon :(

Jesstzn 04-24-2012 08:43 AM

You shouldn't feel anything from the rotors if they are warped unless your applying the brakes. Take one front tire and swap it with a back one and see if that solves it . If not swap the other one. If its a balance issue the shake should move to feeling it in the seat.

truonghthe 04-24-2012 08:45 AM

resurface rotor is totally waste of time and money, the problem will be gone for short period of time then came back right after that. I got question for you, is it vibration only when you braking or just normal driving? if you brake and your steering wheel vibrate then its your rotor warped if you driving (no brake apply) then it more likely its your tires. There are several factors can cause that issue.

1. There is a swollen some where on the tire

2. Wheel balance

3. possibility of wheel getting bent (happen to me)

4. bad tire rod

DMZ 04-24-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn (Post 13725953)
You shouldn't feel anything from the rotors if they are warped unless your applying the brakes.

....................................... :agree:

You would feel pulsating in the brake pedal whenever you apply the brakes. The most common cause of warped rotors on Hondas and Acuras is over tightened lug nuts. They should only be tightened to 80 ft-lbs.

sleeper22 04-24-2012 09:29 AM

Oh I feel it when brakes are applied so I know they are warped. Its worse recently so I am getting them replaced tomorrow.
The shake issue is what has got me confused as I would think its not a balance issue as they were balanced when I got the tires. Car has been smooth as butter until recently so I was searching for answers. I am also wondering if a wheel weight has fallen off. Hopefully it is not a bad tire rod as truonghthe suggested or the wheel. I haven't banged any curbs lately or ever.

Project_CLean 04-24-2012 11:52 AM

constant vibration should worry you; as it could be a bushing failure. if you only feel it when you apply the brakes; should be fine with a brake job. definitely get new rotors!

sleeper22 04-25-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Project_CLean (Post 13726494)
constant vibration should worry you; as it could be a bushing failure. if you only feel it when you apply the brakes; should be fine with a brake job. definitely get new rotors!

Its not a vibration but a shimmy. Mechanic is going to drive the car and let me know what he thinks. If its the tire or balance it goes back to the tire shop on their dollar.

Brakes, rotors, and tranny drain and refill is in progress today.

sleeper22 04-27-2012 12:08 PM

Believe it or not by replacing the front rotors and brakes helped the shimmy and I am not talking under braking. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it did. Still noticed a little shimmy but not much at higher speeds so had the tire shop re-balance. All is well now.

Pat04TL 04-27-2012 12:47 PM

A win's a win! Glad it work out for you.