Vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me too.. 07 TL-S

I have an appointment netxt Monday.. because I have the same problem..
When I drive the car in downhill, it feels like the tire is not round enough(?); feel vibration... and when I make sudden stop, I hear big humming from the brakes.. and of course steering wheel vibrates in higt way speed
Old 03-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cellowiz
I have an appointment netxt Monday.. because I have the same problem..
When I drive the car in downhill, it feels like the tire is not round enough(?); feel vibration... and when I make sudden stop, I hear big humming from the brakes.. and of course steering wheel vibrates in higt way speed
i smell class action lawsuit
Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got vibration from the steering wheel, took it to the dealer said it was a bent rim, got wheels n tires protection on my car, but dealer wouldn't replaced the rim. they said the rim wasn't qualified for replacement,wtf,f**k acura, this will b my last akkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:30 PM
05 AT NAVI

My 05 TL has the same issue... dealer said it was 2 bent rims, replaced those. Now its a lot smoother, but I still feel a slight vibration on the highway.

Acura's favorite line: "That's a normal characteristic of the TL!"
You name a problem, and they can't fix it, that's what they'll tell ya!

This will prob be the last acura/honda I buy, or anyone in my family buys. I've already convinced 1 friend to get a G37, and 2 others to get a Maxima... And until Acura decides to fix problems instead of avoiding them, I will keep on telling people not to buy them!

QUOTE=sam617]i got vibration from the steering wheel, took it to the dealer said it was a bent rim, got wheels n tires protection on my car, but dealer wouldn't replaced the rim. they said the rim wasn't qualified for replacement,wtf,f**k acura, this will b my last akkk!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

What dealership did you go to?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Acura of boston!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 AM
05 AT NAVI

Originally Posted by sam617
Acura of boston!
and what company was the wheel/tire warranty from?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Instructor

I got the platinum, wheels and tires plan
Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 PM
B A N N E D

i have the same problem... this is becoming a major issue ..

wonder if the dealer will say anything about the car modifications..
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Cruisin'

Update..

I got my car back from the dealer and they replaced front pads resurfaced front rotor and replaced rear pads and rotor... So they more than likely replaced all ( but why not the front rotor....???) I have not had a chance to do real road test for myself ,, but it works...
Old 03-19-2008, 12:13 AM
05 AT NAVI

I got my car back from the dealer and they replaced front pads resurfaced front rotor and replaced rear pads and rotor... So they more than likely replaced all ( but why not the front rotor....???) I have not had a chance to do real road test for myself ,, but it works...
Under warranty? or you payed? and how many miles on your car?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

under warranty... I have only 4k miles on it.. Feels much smoother now.......
Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 PM
AcuraTL2004

hmmm, they did that for me when i told them when i break and the cars dont stop so good. After all that was replace the pass months i feel my car vibrate when i accelerrate on the freeway. I wonder what is the problem. Since i dont have tiome to go to the dealer right now
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by peaches79
I have a 2007 TL without Navi. From day one I have had a problem with vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, typically between 65-85. I took it back to the dealer where I originally purchased the car. a total of 3 times and then to another Acura dealer 1 time. The first dealer replaced two tires, road forced them and there was still a vibration. They also tried Michelin tires and said the vibration was still there. They have checked the brakes, calipers, and ebrake for dragging and found that all of those things were fine. So they told me they didn't know what the problem was. They called in a district manager from Honda to look at it. I met with him at another dealer (due to customer service issues with the original dealer) Well this guy tells me that he is sure he can fix it. So I left the car with him for the day. Well they replaced two more tires, balanced and also put a dynamic dampner on the front engine cradle. He assured me it was fixed. So I go get my car and get on the freeway and guess what, there is still vibration. It's really bad at times too. I have had to pull over to make sure my tires were not flat. So now I am dealing with Honda Corp. and they are trying to tell me that the car is operating as it is suppose to. They say that it's normal and that they are not going to do anything else for me. I have an arbitration hearing set for this Friday. There is no way in hell they are going to tell me that this brand new car is suppose to vibrate like this. I can understand feeling the road, but this is a constant vibration and it makes my hands tingle after a while. Is anyone else having this same kind of problem??? Please let me know if you are and what steps you have taken to get it fixed. I am going to try to get Honda to buy this piece of junk back. I have had the car less than 3 months now and it has been the worst experience ever!
Hi,
Just want to share my experience with this problem which I also have with my 07 Type S. Since I got this car I traded for my 06 TL in March of 07 I noticed that I really have to hold the steering wheel with both hands at speeds starting around 60-70 mph. As if the car was searching left and right for the road. And it gets worse if I have 2 passengers with me.
Big change I noticed when I switched to my Dunlop M2 winter tires that are mounted on 06 OEM wheels that I used for the winter. At the same speed on the same highway with the same 2 passengers it felt really different. I can let go of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds or more and the car just goes straight steadily. So I said, Damn it, it's gotta be those Bridgestones tires!
Now that I really felt how bad these Bridgestones tires are compared to the Dunlops I have I will call it to the dealer's attention and hear what they have to say. Another thing I'd like to try is to switch the tires on the two sets of wheels to see that it's really the Bridgestones tires that are bad and nothing else. But since I'm only leasing the car, I want to hear what the dealer have to say first.
I'll keep you posted on what the dealer have to say on this issue.

Al
Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok so...I read almost all the posts here and there is one common denominator< a vibration around the same rpm, same speed, same engine conditions. Maybe its not the car that is to blame. This is soo commonplace. I drive these cars everyday and I note similiar things from model to model. They are called vehicle characteristics. I never met anyone who bought a car without test driving the model first. The issue is, people are so excited about getting a new vehicle they miss some of these minor details, Whose looking for a drone at 65 mph when the prospect of a new ride is looming in the near future? Point is, you didnt notice it then. Why would you allow it to bother you so much now? Makes no sense. I am not trying to downplay how you feel. I am just trying to remind you of the perspective you once had. As head tech for an Acura dealer I run in to this situation on a continuum. And I say the same thing to each of the customers I deal with.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Things that I have done thus far to try and fix this problem:

1) new tires (bridgestones 19s')
2) rebalanced wheels (checked for bent rims) twice
3) changed teins basic out for type s suspensions
4) wheel alignments (4 times)
5) replaced 6mt tranny fluid with GM sync
6) resurfaced front rotors and installed new Brembo pads
6) replaced front axles

Results: I had a horrible vibration up until I replaced the front axles. With the newly rebuilt axles from stocks ones, I still have a slight vibration at 60-65mph (not as frequent and not as horrible as before).

I may have to try to get mechanic change out the rebuilt axles with new axles since it seems that the axles made a noticeable difference.

My total expense: $800 tires w/ wheel balances: $150 Type S suspensions: $400 wheel alignments: $80 GM sync w/install: $300 front brakes: $300 front axles:
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
2006 Acura TL

Bent rims will start to vibrate around 35-45mph. An unbalanced tire will do the same. If it were the tires that were unbalanced or out of round, you would start to see the rippling affect on the tire wear. To have so many tires replaced and have the same issue is ridiculous. Could an axle shaft be the cause? I just don't understand either why Acura will not man up to their mistakes. I guarantee, that if they started to get bad press from us Acura owners, they would do something about it.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

My 04 tl doesnt have the viberation problem i guess i got lucky sorry guys......at least its not a toyota!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
eh.. my drive shafts are being replaced today/tomorrow...
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peaches79
I have a 2007 TL without Navi. From day one I have had a problem with vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, typically between 65-85. I took it back to the dealer where I originally purchased the car. a total of 3 times and then to another Acura dealer 1 time. The first dealer replaced two tires, road forced them and there was still a vibration. They also tried Michelin tires and said the vibration was still there. They have checked the brakes, calipers, and ebrake for dragging and found that all of those things were fine. So they told me they didn't know what the problem was. They called in a district manager from Honda to look at it. I met with him at another dealer (due to customer service issues with the original dealer) Well this guy tells me that he is sure he can fix it. So I left the car with him for the day. Well they replaced two more tires, balanced and also put a dynamic dampner on the front engine cradle. He assured me it was fixed. So I go get my car and get on the freeway and guess what, there is still vibration. It's really bad at times too. I have had to pull over to make sure my tires were not flat. So now I am dealing with Honda Corp. and they are trying to tell me that the car is operating as it is suppose to. They say that it's normal and that they are not going to do anything else for me. I have an arbitration hearing set for this Friday. There is no way in hell they are going to tell me that this brand new car is suppose to vibrate like this. I can understand feeling the road, but this is a constant vibration and it makes my hands tingle after a while. Is anyone else having this same kind of problem??? Please let me know if you are and what steps you have taken to get it fixed. I am going to try to get Honda to buy this piece of junk back. I have had the car less than 3 months now and it has been the worst experience ever!
I had the very same problem with my 04 TL. There is a TSB out on this issue. I took the TSB to my Acura dealer and showed it to the Service Manager. They fixed my car for free and I've had no vibration evry since. Here's a link to the service bulletin, hope this helps.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154245
Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

Question Tsb?

Could you please elaborate on the specific TSB you used to get Acura to fix this?

This problem is really pissing me off
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Advanced

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-017.PDF

That should take you directly to the TSB. Basically driveline vibration is being transferred to the rest of the car. To solve the problem they will install a vibration suppressor.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Thank You

Thanks, I hope this does the trick because this is a real pain; it feels like I'm driving a damn U-Haul.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
does this apply to the 6mt as well? cause the tsb only says A/T
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced

ok so I called Rosenthal back, car's in the shop and the master tech's driving it, felt it vibrate and around 65-70. All in all, they feel like they MIGHT have to replace tires or the driveline...which could be a big job. At least there's hope for correction here. Keep pestering your dealerships about it. I just happened to have a very good service advisor named kevin. He's persistant and that is exactly what you want.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rack and pinion maybe? have they checked that out yet? engine mounts perhaps? its usually the fact that most dealerships wont go the extra mile to check it out, unless they charge you 1k+ just to take a look at it.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
10th Gear

Im dealing with this headache also, just becuase another tl has the same vibration they are saying it is characteristic of the vehicle. Im mad
Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Another common cause of vibration at highway speeds are bent wheels.

Believe me I know, I've been there.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM
10th Gear

I have had the same issue with my 05 TL, just bought and didnt notice vibration until my gas was aroung half on the gauge. My 2 rear rims were bent, so one replaced and one repaired, still vibration with new tires. Service Mgr tried to tell me it seems just the characteristic with the car. He drove 2 other cars in for maint. with them and they had the same issue which was worse for my case. But finally he replaced all 4 tires with a different brand and now the vibration gone. Weird but it worked, only had the vibration around 55-65 MPH, but I am pleased and the service MGR drove the car to me and had to admit that there was a difference. I told him he should probably notify the other owners they have a problem.
will update with brand and size of tire.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
Ok so...I read almost all the posts here and there is one common denominator< a vibration around the same rpm, same speed, same engine conditions. Maybe its not the car that is to blame. This is soo commonplace. I drive these cars everyday and I note similiar things from model to model. They are called vehicle characteristics. I never met anyone who bought a car without test driving the model first. The issue is, people are so excited about getting a new vehicle they miss some of these minor details, Whose looking for a drone at 65 mph when the prospect of a new ride is looming in the near future? Point is, you didnt notice it then. Why would you allow it to bother you so much now? Makes no sense. I am not trying to downplay how you feel. I am just trying to remind you of the perspective you once had. As head tech for an Acura dealer I run in to this situation on a continuum. And I say the same thing to each of the customers I deal with.

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. Add me to the list. 04 TL with 140K miles, un-fucking fortunately. I bought the car about two months ago and it had some steering wheel vibration around 50-70mph, but I just figured it needed an alignment/balance, and since I thought I got a great deal at $8,700, I just dealt with the vibration and planned on getting the alignment/balance done asap. Well, I took the car to the dealer for a couple minor recalls, and they said the car needed an alignment and I went ahead and had that and a balance done. Took the entire fucking day, picked the car up at 6pm tonight, drove the car on the interstate home... and GUESS THE FUCK WHAT? Steering wheel vibrates like a MOTHERFUCKER at 50-80mph. So bad it's almost unbearable. I called the service tech immediately and got his voice mail and left him a message. I said I wanted to have the tires rebalanced and to see if he had any other suggestions to fix it. I told him to call me tomorrow. I just came home and read this thread for the first time. I wish I would've read it before I bought the car, because I may have never bought it. I make my FIRST car payment next week, and I am devastated about this issue. I fear that I will have to spend $1000K to make this problem better, and I am not confident that any amount of $ spent will rectify the issue. Man oh man, this sucks donkey balls. I did not buy the car from the dealer, and I have 140K on her. I fear that I may be SOL. Please Acura God, go easy on me. I don't have a lot of $ to spend on this problem.

Last edited by gogators22; 06-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by gogators22

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. Add me to the list. 04 TL with 140K miles, un-fucking fortunately. I bought the car about two months ago and it had some steering wheel vibration around 50-70mph, but I just figured it needed an alignment/balance, and since I thought I got a great deal at $8,700, I just dealt with the vibration and planned on getting the alignment/balance done asap. Well, I took the car to the dealer for a couple minor recalls, and they said the car needed an alignment and I went ahead and had that and a balance done. Took the entire fucking day, picked the car up at 6pm tonight, drove the car on the interstate home... and GUESS THE FUCK WHAT? Steering wheel vibrates like a MOTHERFUCKER at 50-80mph. So bad it's almost unbearable. I called the service tech immediately and got his voice mail and left him a message. I said I wanted to have the tires rebalanced and to see if he had any other suggestions to fix it. I told him to call me tomorrow. I just came home and read this thread for the first time. I wish I would've read it before I bought the car, because I may have never bought it. I make my FIRST car payment next week, and I am devastated about this issue. I fear that I will have to spend $1000K to make this problem better, and I am not confident that any amount of $ spent will rectify the issue. Man oh man, this sucks donkey balls. I did not buy the car from the dealer, and I have 140K on her. I fear that I may be SOL. Please Acura God, go easy on me. I don't have a lot of $ to spend on this problem.
Woah buddy! Calm down for a second!

A vibration certainly isn't a common issue with this cars, the problem is that the TL is VERY sensitive to off blance wheels and tires! I had my tires put on by a tire place that used a non-hunter machine. I got on the highway and at 65 I felt a vibration that kept on getting worse. I went back to that place and they used a hunter Road Force Balancing machine and the wheel was off by only a few grams! They added the extra weights and the vibration was GONE!

Just remember, these things can cause a vibration:
1. Off Balance Wheel/tire
2. Bent Rim
3. Loose Lug Nuts
4. Improperly torqued Lug Nuts
5. Bad tire
6. Bad bushings/fittings on the suspension.

On my 760 I had a bad bushing on my lower thrust arms and it was causing an uneasiness and vibration ONLY between 65-75 MPH. The dealer replaced the thrust arms plus bushings and the problem was GONE!

The best thing to do is go to the dealer and watch the tech balance the wheel. Make sure he cleans off the rim of dust and tar and other stuff (like old tape from the wheel weights) and he takes ALL of the old ones off. Then have them rebalance the tire and watch them do it. As well have them use the little rod that's behind the machine to check and see if the wheel is bent at all.

FYI the BEST thing to do is make sure the tires are warmed up fully and as well that they don't have any flat-spots. Leaving a performance tire standing for as little as 20 minutes can allow it to cool down and form a flat spot!
The following users liked this post:
rmvtrebor (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
10th Gear

I bought a used 2005 TL with 87K miles, car vibrated after half tank gas and I had new tires put on it driving off the lot. ended up being 2 bent rims. So that issue was taken care of .
Then at any gas level the car vibrated between 55-70, constant vibration in the steering wheel and everytime. I finally got noticed by the GM of the dealership when I gave a very bad customer service rating and a little bad mouth of the technicians. The service manager tried very hard to say it was the characteristic of the car and he drove 2 other TL's with the same issue that he drove.
I told him then those cars have an issue and need to be looked at.
finally after 2 new sets of tires the issue has been taken care of.
I do not know the exact tire I had on before but it was the stock tire for the 05 TL they were using.
They replaced the tires with Falken 235/45ZR17 ZE-502 ZIEX
the car rides smooth now.
I still do not know how they can put a car on the lot with 2 bent rims and the tires were bald and expect someone to buy it like that.
Saying vibration is the characteristic of the vehicle is so LAME and if you can do not put up with it. Took me the complete 30 days to get this issue taken care of so was within the dealers warranty period of the car thank goodness.
So be cautious when buying a used car and thoroughly test drive.
Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
6th Gear

I am having the same issue with my '03 MDX. Vibration at highway speeds (50-80) in Florida. I have changed the front struts, brakes, rotors, CV axles, tires. Balanced the tires 3 x including "road force" and two alignments. I do not want to ruin my expensive new tires. Everything looks and feels tight underneath the front end! I am at my wits end! I have spent thousands of dollars and the vibration is still there! Seriously, can a faulty torque converter cause this vibration in an MDX???