Vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds

I have a 2007 TL without Navi. From day one I have had a problem with vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, typically between 65-85. I took it back to the dealer where I originally purchased the car. a total of 3 times and then to another Acura dealer 1 time. The first dealer replaced two tires, road forced them and there was still a vibration. They also tried Michelin tires and said the vibration was still there. They have checked the brakes, calipers, and ebrake for dragging and found that all of those things were fine. So they told me they didn't know what the problem was. They called in a district manager from Honda to look at it. I met with him at another dealer (due to customer service issues with the original dealer) Well this guy tells me that he is sure he can fix it. So I left the car with him for the day. Well they replaced two more tires, balanced and also put a dynamic dampner on the front engine cradle. He assured me it was fixed. So I go get my car and get on the freeway and guess what, there is still vibration. It's really bad at times too. I have had to pull over to make sure my tires were not flat. So now I am dealing with Honda Corp. and they are trying to tell me that the car is operating as it is suppose to. They say that it's normal and that they are not going to do anything else for me. I have an arbitration hearing set for this Friday. There is no way in hell they are going to tell me that this brand new car is suppose to vibrate like this. I can understand feeling the road, but this is a constant vibration and it makes my hands tingle after a while. Is anyone else having this same kind of problem??? Please let me know if you are and what steps you have taken to get it fixed. I am going to try to get Honda to buy this piece of junk back. I have had the car less than 3 months now and it has been the worst experience ever!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Magnaflow Performance

I had the same problem with my TL and ended up getting an 07 G35S 6M
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
05 TL

Will the service manager drive with you? If its that bad... They have to have a heart... How could they sell you a car for more than 35K, that sucks. If you wanted a crappy car you would have gotten an Scion. I bet they dont vibrate...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Intermediate

i have an 04 Tl and i have this problem tooo. i start off going fast then when i slow down it starts to vibrate pretty bad. i havnt really tried to get it fix buh i will soon...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
have you guys condsidered it being a bent rim? Also have you check the lug bolts to make sure that one is not cracked?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
10th Gear

I got fed up several weeks ago and filed a complaint with the BBB AutoLine. I had my arbitration hearing today. The rep. they sent on behalf of Honda was a joke. He had nothing to back up their claim that it is the tires. I went in with mound of documentation for my defense as well as my mom, whom also has the exact same car I do but with no vibration. In my opinion the arbitration went well, for me. I will be extremely surprised if they don't rule in my favor. Wish me luck! This new car has been a nightmare, and just about everyone that I have had to deal with at the local dealers to the Corp. Office have been nothing but rude to me. They can take this car and shove it !!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Instructor

I think there are batches of TL out there that have this issues. I myself have an 04 and it vibrates exactly where you said it, between 65-85. I did replace all 4 rims just to check, the vibration is still there.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads tomorrow. Let's see if it's going to continue. I hope not (fingers crossed).
Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 PM
05 TL

I had a Eagle Talon, that had a vibration similar to that...

It ended up being the harmonic balancer / main crankshaft pully. It was surrounded with rubber and it ended up being warped a little bit... Enough to vibrate exactly at 70 mph.. I finally caught on when it thru the belt.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced

My '02 TL-S did the same thing... After $1000s spent by Acura in warranty work (transmission, tie rod ends, etc.) plus new tires and a new rim (on my dime), they decided to say it was normal, even though we all know it is not. Then the '04 TL came out a few months after, and many people were complaining about the same thing.

Acura Client Disservices was a joke, and so was my dealer after they tried everything on their list. I really would have preferred being told "we have no clue what's wrong, but we'll take care of you". That whole experience a few years ago is the reason why, after 5 Honda products in a row, we have 2 Lexus in the garage and are done with Acura. It's a real shame, 'cause we wouldn't have planned it that way.

Best of luck with your situation. It does sound like it went well. for you!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear

I feel your pain

Peaches,

I have an 07 TL Type S with the exact same problem since day one. It is absolutely ridiculous that Acura would continue to ignore a valid issue and act as if it didn't exist. I am currently awaiting an abitration hearing myself in the state of GA as I have filed Lemon law and Acura said they can't do anything for me. Please let me know how your abritration hearing turns out because Acura acts like my problem is non-existant and isolated when it seems more widespread. I will never buy as much as a Honda lawnmower in the future because the way Honda has handled this entire issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive resolution to my problem.

Daniel
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Advanced

I went to ChevyChase becuase of the same issue, and asked that they X rotate the tires. After doing that, my car now pulls to the left, steering goes to the right and the whole car jitters. How pathetic!! On TOP of that. they charged m 22 bucks for it....sigh...there goes my lunch.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracker
Will the service manager drive with you? If its that bad... They have to have a heart... How could they sell you a car for more than 35K, that sucks.
Yeah right... stealerships are the scorge of the Earth and are only interested in making money. How does fixing the OP's vibration help them get money? It doesn't, which is why they havn't fixed it yet.

BTW, I hear that 97% (that's not a typo... ninety seven percent) of all arbitration cases are found in favor of the corporation, not the consumer. I hope you have better luck.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
i NOW have the same issue with my 04. however, i bought my 04 with 27k on it and there was no vibration problems with the car until about 62k. i had the rotors/pads replaced, tires balanced and rotated, dynamic damper installed and i have the vibration issues from 65-80 as well.

my car is a little different though. the car will vibrate at 65 but not at 70. vibrates at 75 but not 80. vibrates at 85 but not 90, and after 90 there is no vibration. i just don't get it. maybe its a bent rim but when i rotated my tires i didn't see any damage to the rims.

i have yet to get a wheel alignment, MAYBE that will be my answer
Old 11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Just to update everyone I won my arbitration hearing and Honda has to replace my car. So guess I fall in the 3% of people who win their cases.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 PM
05 TL

Thats great news...

Can you give us the bullets of your arguments...

Congrats on the win! What kind of car are you going to get next?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
could the rotors be warped? Mine does the same thing, 06 A/T TL.. should try to tell them that the rotor could be the case, change that and see what happens.. If it's still the same, Acura//Honda needs to man up that this TL is a factory defect.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 PM
05 TL

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi
could the rotors be warped? Mine does the same thing, 06 A/T TL.. should try to tell them that the rotor could be the case, change that and see what happens.. If it's still the same, Acura//Honda needs to man up that this TL is a factory defect.
I think thats the problem... Acura will not "man up", and to make it worse Acura claims that its normal. I asked what kind of car he is going to get, because Peaches is pissed at acuras behavior.

Rotors, typically vibrate during braking, not while cruising at 70 mph. (lucky it wasnt 71) I was working with a Fire Bird that vibrated at 74... They couldnt test it or warranty it because they would have to break the law to see it (or they could have been jerking around with a 17 year old)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
if it was the rotors, you would really only feel the vibration while you brake. the rotors would have to be REALLY REALLY warped in order to make the car vibrate like that....

my opinion.. if no rims are cracked and tires are all good and aligned... i would start checking other things.. .axles, cv joints etc.etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

I think thats the problem... Acura will not "man up", and to make it worse Acura claims that its normal. I asked what kind of car he is going to get, because Peaches is pissed at acuras behavior.

Rotors, typically vibrate during braking, not while cruising at 70 mph. (lucky it wasnt 71) I was working with a Fire Bird that vibrated at 74... They couldnt test it or warranty it because they would have to break the law to see it (or they could have been jerking around with a 17 year old)
Kracker,

I'm not sure what car I am going to get next, maybe a Lexus.

Acura does not want to replace my car with another TL because they said it will more than likely have the same problem. They know full well this car is defective and still don't want to do anything about it. Nice, right. I'm so sick of their excuses. They are trying to get me to upgrade to a MDX and pay the difference. I told them they are crazy.They said if they replace my TL with another TL with or with out navi, they are going to make me sign a waiver that they told me the car could possibly have this issue again. Something needs to be done about these a$$holes and their lack of ability to man up and take care of this. They have now tried to sell me on three different reasons as to why the car has vibration. Their initial response was it's the characteristic of the car. then they said it was tires (and took this to the arbitration hearing as well), now even after I have won they are telling me it's the suspension. What a f-ing joke.
They have offered to buy it back also. I think I might just do that and be done with it. But I will be getting the word out to EVERYONE that has a TL that based on my conversations with Honda they know this car is defective. I should take all of this to the news and put all their names on blast too. F--k Honda!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
10th Gear

Thats great news...

Can you give us the bullets of your arguments...

Congrats on the win! What kind of car are you going to get next?
I forgot to give the main points of my argument:

1. All four tires were replaced and the problem was still there.

---This was one of my arguments because Honda had tried to tell me that the tires were the issue, and they also used that argument, and only that argument in the hearing. They said nothing about it being a characteristic of the car (which is what they tried to tell me after they found out I was pursing my complaint to the BBB auto line and went on to tell me they would not do anything else for me)

2. Multiple repairs for same problem can hurt resale value of car
----I used this as an argument because with lemon law cases you need to be able to show that the problem can affect the value of the car. I stated that due to all of the repairs for the same issue that it would be on carfax for everyone to see and who would buy a car that has an issue that has been there from day 1. I wouldn't

3.Safety issue
----This was used also because of the way the lemon law works. You need to be able to show or argue that ones safety is at risk due to the problem/defect. My argument was that since the problem still existed after four tire replacements, and Honda's argument was that it was the tires causing the problem, I was concerned for my safety and the safety of people in my car since no one was able to pin point the exact cause of the vibration or even tried to look for other causes. (also they tried to argue that Honda does customer a favor by putting tires on cars before they sell them and that I needed to take my complaint up with the tire manufacturer)

4. Depending on the state the lemon law can be a lil different. I'm in Ohio so one of my arguments was the number of repair attempts to fix. In Ohio if the car has been subject to 3 or more repair attempts for the same non conformity then it falls under the Ohio Lemon law. Mine had 4 repair attempts with the first repair being 3 days after I drove it off the lot.

Those are the main points I made in my hearing. Honda had nothing. They just tried to say the entire time that it was the tires. They had nothing to back their claim.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Study

I'm sorry for your troubles. So did you find out what exactly caused the problem? If so, maybe we can all sign a petition for a recall on the part(s).
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
7th Gear

It could possibly be a bad motor mount. i have a '04 TL (auto) and had a vibration around 65 to 70mph and a tech replaced a motor mount or a damper and it solved the problem. It took me numerous visits to different dealers to get it fixed though. Now i have a clunking noise from the front passenger suspension which i think is the lower control arm bushing becasue the ball joints, strut and outter tie rod are fine. Fixing that problem will probably take me numerous visits too (im currently on my third visit).
I have the paper in the car as to exactly what was changed. When i get the car bak from dealer i'll post up the part they changed.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by GIXXERDK
I'm sorry for your troubles. So did you find out what exactly caused the problem? If so, maybe we can all sign a petition for a recall on the part(s).
No, never have found out what the problem was. They tried to argue in the arbitration hearing that it is the tires and not the car. Now, even after I have won, they are trying to tell me it's the suspension characteristic and they don't want to put me in another TL because think I will have the same problem. (thought it was the tires though can someone say BULLSH!!T) They keep changing their stories. They are a bunch of f-ing liars. They want me to sign some sort of document if I do get another TL that they have warned that the car may or may not do the same thing as the orig. car. I can't pursue anything legally now since I went through arbitration, but I think that a bunch of you should get together and start a class action suit. Honda needs to be put in their place for selling junk and then not wanting to take responsibility for it. I won't be signing any document either, if they think I am they are nuts!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Study

Originally Posted by peaches79
No, never have found out what the problem was. They tried to argue in the arbitration hearing that it is the tires and not the car. Now, even after I have won, they are trying to tell me it's the suspension characteristic and they don't want to put me in another TL because think I will have the same problem. (thought it was the tires though can someone say BULLSH!!T) They keep changing their stories. They are a bunch of f-ing liars. They want me to sign some sort of document if I do get another TL that they have warned that the car may or may not do the same thing as the orig. car. I can't pursue anything legally now since I went through arbitration, but I think that a bunch of you should get together and start a class action suit. Honda needs to be put in their place for selling junk and then not wanting to take responsibility for it. I won't be signing any document either, if they think I am they are nuts!
Interesting, maybe we can use the document as a backbone? Something does sound fishy!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:26 PM
05 TL

Tell them that you will sign it as soon as its on their website under the special features of your new 2008 Acura. Atleast put it in the brochure the dealerships as an addendum. Perhaps a stick in page in the owners manual...

"For added safety your new Acura is equipped ESP-VN" (excessive speed prevention - Vibration Notification). You will be informed thru an increasing vibration thru the steering wheel as you approach and exceed 70 mph.

I still dont know if this should come before or after the Idle Notification - Dash Rattle System...

On a serious note:

Tell them that you would like to read the document... take it home. Then tell them that you need get your lawyer to approve it, as well as the attorney general of your state to approve it to see if its valid.

Man, I think that this could be used as evidence that Acura KNOWS they have a vibration problem. This might be a win for the Acura community, proof that Acura has acknowledged that their cars vibrate and they cant do anything about it. All consumers expect a car to not vibrate, it doesn't matter what the letter says...

Post it here... Perhaps have it filed with your lawyer so I can request a certified copy of it.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

Read page 2 of the first link. It gives some insight. We'll have to wait for the other parts of the article to become available in upcoming months for all of the info. They don't write these articles for nothing. I will also include the links to the upcoming months, but they won't work until they become available.....usually at the beginning of the month. I am also assuming that each month, there will be another part. If I am wrong, then the mods can edit this with the correct info.

I wish the best of luck to all of you with these problems in getting them fixed....hopefully with the aid of this info.

Part 1 of 5
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B071000.PDF

Part 2 of 5
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B071100.PDF

Part 3 of 5
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B071200.PDF

Part 4 of 5
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080100.PDF

Part 5 of 5
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080200.PDF
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
8th Gear

add us to the list!!!

We just bought a 2008 TL and have only had it a month and a half. We have had the EXACT same problem as Peaches with our car. It is a vibration that will not go away. The dealer has been working with us and did everything EXACTLY as they did for the car at the begining of this post, right down to installing Michelin tires. The Sales manager assured me it was fixed after the 4th time to the dealership and there is still a shimmy at 70-75 miles per hour. It almost seems to me like it is when you let the torque converter lock in at that speed it starts. The ride improved with the new tires but did not fix the problem. I too am starting Arbitration with Acura tomorrow. I am glad that we are not the only ones with this problem as we were begining to think we were crazy.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Hmm. I will soon be bringing my TL in also, for this problem. Whenever I drive up to like.. 72-80, I get a vibration. Not only that BUT I believe my rotors are warped. Everytime I brake, there is a vibration also. So I'm feeling vibration left and right, brake and go.. And also, whenever I start up the car, do you guys feel a vibration also? I was actually scared when I first got it. The idle is rough, the car feels like it's moving up n down a little bit, it's like having a hard time breathing...

I would also like to note that I have an AEM intake and Greddy exhaust installed on this car.. I hope they don't blame it on the mods like last time when my engine caused a misfire when I had an AEM CAI installed.. =\
Old 12-19-2007, 06:04 AM
8th Gear

That is exactly the speeds we are getting it at with the 08 TL. That is after one set of new rims and tires, two new sets of Bridgestones and now Michelins. What year is your TL?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
my 06 does the exact same thing. I had the michelin tires when I first purchased the car new so it had to be something else ... I had my tires balanced yesterday so I'm going to go on the highway today to test it out ... I'll let you know if it made any decent change
Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
10th Gear

I had the same issue with my 04 TL so I sent it to the dealership..... And they gave me new 07 rims and tires for free ^_^ problem gone..
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced

After trolling the boards for this problem/resolution, I'm under the impression that there are fixes:

1) new tires
2) new wheels
3) new motor mount
4) alignment

I've been having this problem since hitting 55K miles. I changed out new tires per dealer's request. Aligned the car 3 times. Changed out suspensions.

I am still having the same problem of vibration during acceleration at 65-75mph.

We need to get a handle on this issue and pinpoint the exact problem and get a real fix.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
8th Gear

Had my 04 TL in the dealer today, they said it is from 3 bent rims. Debating whether or not to replace them, how do I now it will work?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bent wheels will make it vibrate a lot. the rotation of the wheels will not be smooth as you travel. replace the 2 fronts cuz that's where you feel it the most
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced

I have a 2007 TL without Navi. From day one I have had a problem with vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, typically between 65-85. I took it back to the dealer where I originally purchased the car. a total of 3 times and then to another Acura dealer 1 time. The first dealer replaced two tires, road forced them and there was still a vibration. They also tried Michelin tires and said the vibration was still there. They have checked the brakes, calipers, and ebrake for dragging and found that all of those things were fine. So they told me they didn't know what the problem was. They called in a district manager from Honda to look at it. I met with him at another dealer (due to customer service issues with the original dealer) Well this guy tells me that he is sure he can fix it. So I left the car with him for the day. Well they replaced two more tires, balanced and also put a dynamic dampner on the front engine cradle. He assured me it was fixed. So I go get my car and get on the freeway and guess what, there is still vibration. It's really bad at times too. I have had to pull over to make sure my tires were not flat. So now I am dealing with Honda Corp. and they are trying to tell me that the car is operating as it is suppose to. They say that it's normal and that they are not going to do anything else for me. I have an arbitration hearing set for this Friday. There is no way in hell they are going to tell me that this brand new car is suppose to vibrate like this. I can understand feeling the road, but this is a constant vibration and it makes my hands tingle after a while. Is anyone else having this same kind of problem??? Please let me know if you are and what steps you have taken to get it fixed. I am going to try to get Honda to buy this piece of junk back. I have had the car less than 3 months now and it has been the worst experience ever!

THIS IS WHAT IM GOING THROUGH WITH THEM RIGHT NOW, HOW DID THE TRIAL GO? we need to talk
Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having the same problem, but have been assuming that it is from the new snow tires and wheels that I put on it in December.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Clueless About Car?!

Honestly i think this Vibration problems that people having with their TL are very common, even with the newer model i have the 2008 TL-S and im having the same problems with the valve chattering, Chasis vibration on highway speed, and rattles inside my car, i try to follow the different threads here on what might be the cause of it and a DIY fix for it, one by one i managed to eliminates the rattles. other problems i guess since its sooooo common i just try to life with it, i know its there and i know other people is having the same problems so i'm just glad that im not alone here
Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by lazyboykhoa
i have an 04 Tl and i have this problem tooo. i start off going fast then when i slow down it starts to vibrate pretty bad. i havnt really tried to get it fix buh i will soon...

Your problem souns like your discs are warped. Have your discs turned and that may solve your problem.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I am also having vibration with my 06 6MT TL. I never paid attention to this before, but recently I have noticed that my car rattles more and more at highway speeds especially once I hit pass 60mph. The noise comes from the passenger front side, sort of like glovebox or vent but I have a hard time pin pointing it since most of my friends cant drive stick . If I have a passenger in the front seat the rattle does not exist, but when I put like a laptop bag, all the zippers on the laptop bag will start rattling as well once the car speeds up – really annoying. I am already feed up with this crap car. Such nice car and great features but Honda cant seems to find a way to build them right.
My car also has sporadic 3rd gear issue – it does not pop out like for some folks here but it is really hard to engage from time to time - seems like almost there is a rubber band from time to time on 3rd gear 
I also experience sunroof rattle from time to time, windows rattle, and rear sub rattle (was already fixed under warranty). I hate moving to a different brand because it does not make sense financially at this point, but I know that this is my last Honda product for sure. When I hear Acura’s ads about “advancement” I can’t really stop laughing – such joke and bs. The only advancement they do to their car is that they develop more and more random rattles and cars like altima is actually more advanced then TL now or even upcoming TSX – go figure
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had my snows pulled and put on the original wheels/tires today. Gotta say I was a bit nervous that the same problem would be there, but had it up to 90 mph with no problem. What a relief. Now my problem is with tire-rack, which will be comparitively much easier.

Quick Reply: Vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds