Vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Vibration at idle

Have been having a problem lately with my 08 TL. Currently have 90k miles I'm getting a vibration almost feels like the front end of my car is jerking. It doesn't happen until I've been driving around for a bit but it's been getting worse over the last week. RPMs do not move at any time while it happens so I'm pretty confident it's not engine related misfire, etc.

Just recently had the power steering recall done but it started before that and I doubt it's related.

All research I have done points to bad motor mounts as I know it's a common problem on these cars. My father (mechanic of 30 years) said that's most likely the issue as well.

Just wanted another opinion before I go and buy new mounts this week. Are any after market mounts worth getting as well? I've heard the innovative mounts are really rough.

Also in terms of replacement our car just has the side one near the PS reservoir and the lower one below the coolant overflow bottle or am I missing some?

Last edited by TheBumbino; 04-06-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Yeah, there are three of them. This thread might serve you well.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...inside-772642/
Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Instructor

An update on this replaced the side mount and front mount today at the dealer and still having the same problems. Still have a really bad jerking at idle or in park I can literally see the exhaust shaking around at idle. Tranny and rear mount next? Or should I be looking elsewhere at this point as to what it might be.

Starting to think it might be something more mechanically related, plugged injectors, dirty air filter, bad plugs or something no CEL's or anything of that sort though.

Last edited by TheBumbino; 04-13-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
let the car idle in Neutral, loosen the bolts on the engine mounts to finger tight and switch b/w park, reverse, and drive a few times. This will cause the motor to move and neutralize, make sure to end with the car in Neutral! Tighten bolts to specs. It should be done after replacing mounts. The Rear engine mount is the one that cushions the most vibrations from the car. With 90K on the car, it wouldn't hurt to run a fuel cleaner. Also the air filter needs to be replaced every 30K miles so that might help.

Acura suggests a valve adjustment at 105K and that may help slightly. Look into the rear mount first, then neutralizing the other mounts.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
let the car idle in Neutral, loosen the bolts on the engine mounts to finger tight and switch b/w park, reverse, and drive a few times. This will cause the motor to move and neutralize, make sure to end with the car in Neutral! Tighten bolts to specs. It should be done after replacing mounts. The Rear engine mount is the one that cushions the most vibrations from the car. With 90K on the car, it wouldn't hurt to run a fuel cleaner. Also the air filter needs to be replaced every 30K miles so that might help.

Acura suggests a valve adjustment at 105K and that may help slightly. Look into the rear mount first, then neutralizing the other mounts.
I would think setting the mounts is something the dealer would have been when they replaced them but I would not be surprised if they didn't. I've just heard the rear one is not known to go bad as often.