Valve Keeper Dropped Down Dipstick Passage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016 | 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Valve Keeper Dropped Down Dipstick Passage

Yes, I'm a dumbass...

I was replacing valve seals with the heads still on the block and had oil passages blocked with rags. I got a few valves done successfully but then was working on the exhaust valve adjacent to the dipsitck oil passage. I compressed the spring with my tool (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36050-K...ring+installer) but the keepers didn't seat properly, so I tried to pull the spring and tool back off the valve as a pair to retain the keepers between one another. In doing so, the spring caught the rag blocking the dipstick oil passage, both dislodging my rag from protecting the hole, and also pulling the spring away from the tool in my hand. I watched in slow motion while one of the keepers fell down the dipstick passage.

I've never had the oil pan off the car, so I'm not sure where the dipstick passage exits into the pan. It must be below the windage tray so I assume the valve keeper had to drop to the bottom of the pan (it was too light to hear it hit), but I'd like to know where within the pan it should be so that I can try to work it towards the drain plug with a magnet before I drain the oil and, if necessary, go fishing around for it in the pan.

Does anybody have a picture of the bottom of the block where they can identify where the dipstick passageway is? I'd really love to avoid having to drop the pan. And if anybody has any other suggestions for recovering it, beyond fishing around with a magnet, I'm all ears.

Also, the tool linked above works okay if you have a lot of clearance so that you can push hard and in line with the valve. As a result, I had good luck on cylinder 4/5/6 intake valves. But I've had a hell of a time reinstalling the exhaust valves with it because there isn't a lot of clearance from the radiator. It's difficult to push perfectly in line with the valve and I typically only get one keeper to seat while the other pops free. There's no way in hell I'll be able to get it to work on cylinders 1/2/3 working blind and from awkward angles. Has anybody else successfully installed valve springs with the heads still on the car? What tool did you use for compressing the springs (particularly for installation)?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016 | 05:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Picture of oil pan and would assume the dip stick tube would be at the front, so jack the car up in the front to
give the oil more power to move the keeper along. It's light enough to move with the flow. Just hope it
doesn't get hung up on the pick up.
I have a telescopic camera that I use occasionally for various repairs, and that might be useful if it doesn't
come out with the oil.
http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...?dbpcid=gglpla

Last edited by Turbonut; 12-30-2016 at 05:34 AM.