Uneven tire wear - whinning sound!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uneven tire wear - whinning sound!!

Fellow TLers,

I just took my 04TL with 18" A-Specs and Yokos on to the dealer. It seems that the car has developed a 'whinning' noise. The dealer came back and said that the tires are feathering - basically wearing out un-evenly. After having the tires & rims balanced three times and verifying the alignment and all the specs are correct - the dealer says that the car is not the issue. The Yokohomo rep says that they know of no issue as well. They tried to blame my driving and I told them that that was a poor excuse. The car is babied and mint mint even after 28K kms.

Has anyone experienced this 'whining' noise or un-even wear on 18" Yokos? I am waiting a reply back from the Acura rep to see how we proceed.

Thanks,

Demetrius
Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 AM
5th Gear

Oh yeah. I thought I was the only one. Same exact thing happening. A-Spec pkg, feathering after performing all of the recommended alignments, rotation and balances. No luck with Acura. They also said it was probably the way I drive -- NOT. Dealer said that I've done everything right and that it should never have happened. I get the feeling that they know something, but their hands are tied...

I had it aligned to see if that was the cause of the feathering, and just like all of the info I read, it was a toe alignment problem. Since having it aligned, I've noticed the noise and the feather pattern of wear getting worse, not remaining the same. Not sure if alignment is out again.

I am going to need new tires soon and am concerned that if it is something wrong with the design of the A-Spec package, I may quickly ruin another $1000 set of tires.

I was going to check the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. I'm glad I did. Wonder if other A-Spec owners have this problem. Please reply if you do.

Demetrius, just for info, do you have just the A-Spec tires or the suspension as well?

2004 A-Spec
~20K miles
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Argenon
Oh yeah. I thought I was the only one. Same exact thing happening. A-Spec pkg, feathering after performing all of the recommended alignments, rotation and balances. No luck with Acura. They also said it was probably the way I drive -- NOT. Dealer said that I've done everything right and that it should never have happened. I get the feeling that they know something, but their hands are tied...

I had it aligned to see if that was the cause of the feathering, and just like all of the info I read, it was a toe alignment problem. Since having it aligned, I've noticed the noise and the feather pattern of wear getting worse, not remaining the same. Not sure if alignment is out again.

I am going to need new tires soon and am concerned that if it is something wrong with the design of the A-Spec package, I may quickly ruin another $1000 set of tires.

I was going to check the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. I'm glad I did. Wonder if other A-Spec owners have this problem. Please reply if you do.

Demetrius, just for info, do you have just the A-Spec tires or the suspension as well?

2004 A-Spec
~20K miles
I just have the A-Spec 18" gunmetal rims and Yokos...no A-Spec suspension. After the checked the alignment again - they found the front to be out just slightly but still say there is nothing wrong with the car's suspension. I have heard that this is a known issue to Acura but there is no movement yet - informed my Acura rep- will let you know what happens

Keep me posted what they say/do.

Demetrius
Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 PM
5th Gear

I posted in a couple other spots and heard that Acura paid for someone's A-Spec tires that had the feathering issue. It was at: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/matrix-explained-121138/ Tires, Wheels & Suspension:2005 A-Spec Tire Choices.

I'm going to contact my dealer to see if they have any new info. I'll let you know what they say.