Typical cost for power steering pump replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 PM
rec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical cost for power steering pump replacement?

I'm wondering what typical dealer charges are for replacing a power steering pump and should I also have the fluid replaced then?

It's a 2006 TL and when I had it in for an oil change, I was told the PS pump was leaking and really needed to be replaced. I was quoted $750 for the work + $150 for flushing/replacing the fluid. That felt high to me and I called another dealership who quoted me $490 and didn't think the fluid needed replacing, but if I wanted to would do it for $120 (I did not give them the original quotes).

I am not a DIY guy when it comes to cars so have stayed with the dealership for significant items. Dealer has been going through lots of new service writers lately so I'm wondering if my regular place is now trying to take advantage or if the other place is low-balling.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by rec
It's a 2006 TL and when I had it in for an oil change, I was told the PS pump was leaking and really needed to be replaced.
The original quote sounds too high.

However, has your TL had the PS line and O-ring recall work performed? IIRC, the recall applies to all '04-'06 TLs.
If not, that recall work should be done first.

Second, have you confirmed the leak and source of the leak-- did anyone point out the leak on the PS pump to you?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:41 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
IIRC the pump alone cost $3-400 (dealer pricing). add in an hour of labor minimum.

If the recall has been done and the seals on the pump are seeping... best to keep an eye on it. If your PS fluid level drops, then its time to either rebuild the pump with new seals and gaskets or just replace the entire unit. Dealers will usually recommend replace (it's easier and less labor intensive).

As far as the flush... if its never been done or the fluid is dirty, get it done. Might as well start the new pump on the right foot with fresh fluid.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 04-13-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by rec
I'm wondering what typical dealer charges are for replacing a power steering pump and should I also have the fluid replaced then?

It's a 2006 TL and when I had it in for an oil change, I was told the PS pump was leaking and really needed to be replaced. I was quoted $750 for the work + $150 for flushing/replacing the fluid. That felt high to me and I called another dealership who quoted me $490 and didn't think the fluid needed replacing, but if I wanted to would do it for $120 (I did not give them the original quotes).

I am not a DIY guy when it comes to cars so have stayed with the dealership for significant items. Dealer has been going through lots of new service writers lately so I'm wondering if my regular place is now trying to take advantage or if the other place is low-balling.

Thanks
Great advice form Will Y and TLtrigirl. OEM pump cost is $357 online, so at the very least print out a price from an Acura parts place (google search the part number, 56110-RDA-A01), and try to get them to match it. Dealer 1: $750 is RIDICULOUS - should be $500-$550 installed, including fluid. Dealer 2: I don't think there's an easy way to avoid new fluid, so this sounds like they will upcharge you once you're there and it's being installed. A new pump should have new fluid. Now, if it's just the O-ring, which is a common TL problem as the cars age, it could be a simple fix and would just require adding some more fluid:

From Acura: AboutAcura: [TSB] Acura TL Moans When Engine Is Cold
Acurazine Fix (thanks Majofo!): https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ne-fix-754586/

Last edited by triax37; 04-13-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM
rec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks much for your input. I'm waiting on a call back from the dealer. Pump replacement alone is now down to $605 including parts, labor, shop fees and tax. Does not include flush. Said he accidentally added something else into the original estimate.

Parts+Fluid are $395 (383+15) in the new breakdown so that at least seems more reasonable. I've had the power steering hose replacement recall done, but that's the only recall I've ever received on the car and I am the original owner.

They did tell me the PS fluid was low but I must confess that's one fluid I've gotten sloppy on checking. Had seen an occasional spot on ground under car but dealer had not been able to determine cause when I mentioned it on a couple of prior visits.

Didn't think about it at the time, but they did not take me back and show me the leak like they have typically done repairs at this dealer, but as I mentioned, it's been a new crew of service writers every time I've been in the last few months.

Thanks again