Type s 6mt black on black 191,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:05 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type s 6mt black on black 191,000 miles

Ok guys, I am new to the forum but have been a honda/Acuraa guy my whole life. I have been shopping for a 6mt type s for a while and one just popped up in my area. Problem is it has 191,000 miles and about 1500 worth of body damage to the fender and bumper. I talked the guy down to $4300 and I'm dying to go pick it up but I'm really on the fence. Clutch was just replaced by shop with warranty provided so that is a huge plus. Other service records might be harder to verify. What do you think? It's black on black.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
we cant inspect the vehicle over the internet...
have a used car check list.
then go over the check list with the car in person.
if not comfortable, have a PPI performed. (Pre-purchase inspection)

used car check list
- check tires
- check for fluid leaks
- check clutch
- check front suspension
- check brakes
- check body straightness
- check paint
- does it drive great? does it drive poorly?
- check electronics
- check if a/c blowing cold
- check if heater is blowing hot
- check radio/navigation
- check for used car thangs
- is the shifter notchy?
- does the car accelerate in all gears?
- does the car have maintenance records?
- How old is the battery?
- when was the last time fluids were changed?
- has the timing belt been changed?
- when was spark plugs changed?
- does the car sound like a normal car when running? (quiet no noises)

- check suspension components for wear
- check everything for wear

in any event that you purchase it; change all fluids!
- coolant
- oil
- brake fluid
- power steering fluid
- could skip clutch, since it was replaced and filled with new fluid

basically it will be your job to make the car brand new again, if not in good condition. 10 year old cars are needy and will need your attention

Last edited by justnspace; 08-03-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Where is the body damage? I'd make sure to check all of the structural component around that area and make sure nothing is bent or messed up to the point that it would total the car.

Justin's list is very good.

Items to check specifically for this car are:
  • The Hands Free Link (HFL) - has it be replaced or removed? It can cause battery drain
  • Front Lower Control Arm Compliance Bushings - prone to tearing and will cause some minor shaking when bad.
  • Engine Mounts - prone to tearing and breaking
  • The 6 speeds are prone to grinding in 3rd gear, but there is a simple fix with GM Synchromesh - do some additional research on the forums.
  • Timing Belt interval is 105k miles, so you are approaching needing a second change if not done already. If you're not doing it yourself, expect to pay upwards of $600 to have it done.
Going off my last point, if you are not someone who works on your own car, any 10 year old car is going to have plenty of issues. My 06 with 105k required numerous parts for me to get it up to my standards. It still has issues I am working on fixing, but I have put at least $2k in parts on it. I've replace multiple mounts, the battery, the starter, and O2 sensor, the struts & springs (went with coilovers), serpentine belt and tensioner, and the list goes on. Those are just the main items that were definitely bad.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I picked up my black on tan 05 6mt TL 176k with both fenders, hood, front bumper cover and both headlights smashed in. Lucky though it was cosmetic only and absolutely no frame damage. Even the radiator and condenser were untouched.

The car had the timing belt done at 145k and the clutch at 160k. Only thing it needed was brake pads and seat covers.

I got the car for 1200 but a big reason was I knew the seller fairly well and I worked him down based on the damage present. He wanted 2500 originally.

I bought all my aftermarket parts mostly on rockauto and amazon and after painting them NBP to match the car I had roughly 1500 in parts invested.

Personally I would not pull the trigger on that car for 4300 even though its a type s due to all the damage especially when you can find them non wrecked for that price.

Last edited by musiclevelz5; 08-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.