Turn signals/locks/wipers not working? Just happened today

Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Teenage TL

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Turn signals/locks/wipers not working? Just happened today

So it's been cold over the past couple of days (I'm sure you've noticed lol) and today was rainy. Don't know if any of these conditions might have anything to do with it but I thought I'd mention!

So as I said, it was raining. I ran out in the drizzle to find that my key fob wasn't unlocking the car. At first I thought my battery died, since that was a common problem before I unplugged the dead HFL, but I unlocked with the key in driver door and hopped inside. I turned the car on perfectly fine. First thing I noticed was that the lock/unlock button on my driver door wasn't working. I reached over to the passenger side and that button locked the car. Big whoop. Something was wrong. I started to reverse and drive away, then turning out of the parking lot I noticed my turn signals weren't working. As I sat at the stop for a few moments, I realized my lights weren't on. They came on. But the light on the dash showing they were on didn't. Fogs wouldn't come on. THEN I looked up and it started raining harder. Wipers wouldn't work if i hit the lever up for the 1 time, and wouldn't do anything if I put it on the interval setting. On the Low and High settings, the wipers thankfully worked, VERY fast, but I got home.

This is all related. It all worked in the morning, just not in the afternoon. Any suggestions? Is it just a fuse or something lol please help!! Havven't tested anything else as it's cold and still raining since

tl;dr:
key fob unlock and trunk do NOT work
driver door unlock button does NOT work
passenger side unlock button does
lights turn on, but does not show up on dash as lights on
fog lights do NOT work
turn signals do NOT work
hazards do work
wipers won't work on interval, and go fastest speed on the high and low settings
Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
I was going to say fuses, but some of those things could be more complicated than just having a bad fuse. Check them all anyway. Do the simple things first and take them out of the equation.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
I was going to say fuses, but some of those things could be more complicated than just having a bad fuse. Check them all anyway. Do the simple things first and take them out of the equation.
I definitely will. Not trying to get turned into an icicle so I figured I'd question the wealth of knowledge here! funny thing is there was a similar problem in this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/multiple-electrical-problems-778615/

and it didn't seem to get resolved.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
there is are reset procedure for the accord when this happens something like turn intermittent wipers to halfway and turn the key to the on position but do not start... had something to do with a control module....
Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
there is are reset procedure for the accord when this happens something like turn intermittent wipers to halfway and turn the key to the on position but do not start... had something to do with a control module....
Interesting. I'll look into it. Finally a sunny day this Sunday I'm gonna look at everything
Old 01-14-2014, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this problem..I had to get a new fuse box (I'm not sure what it was called) but it was some box that was underneath the steering wheel...not exactly underneath but to the left of the pedal...I had to get the part from the dealer then took it to my mechanic..any mechanic would know the name of this item...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Everything you're having a problem with is near the driver's seat. It sounds like a bad common net somewhere causing all of this to fail. This could be a GND, a +5V, +12V, or any other common net. The easiest thing is to find that reset procedure and try it first because that takes the least amount of effort. If this were my car, I would stare at the circuit diagrams and try to find a common connection between all of these components. A failure in the fuse box makes a lot of sense (near driver's seat, lot's of common connections), but diagnosing it properly before buying parts is the sensible thing to do. The circuit diagrams are available in the service manual and somewhere in this site is a PDF, but I don't have it handy. Good luck!!!!

Edit:
wipers won't work on interval, and go fastest speed on the high and low settings
This sounds like your meal ticket. Understanding the various switch positions and why several of them create identical conditions should help narrow down the problem quickly.

Last edited by Vlad_Type_S; 01-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by ArAbiAnArAb
I had this problem..I had to get a new fuse box (I'm not sure what it was called) but it was some box that was underneath the steering wheel...not exactly underneath but to the left of the pedal...I had to get the part from the dealer then took it to my mechanic..any mechanic would know the name of this item...
Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Everything you're having a problem with is near the driver's seat. It sounds like a bad common net somewhere causing all of this to fail. This could be a GND, a +5V, +12V, or any other common net. The easiest thing is to find that reset procedure and try it first because that takes the least amount of effort. If this were my car, I would stare at the circuit diagrams and try to find a common connection between all of these components. A failure in the fuse box makes a lot of sense (near driver's seat, lot's of common connections), but diagnosing it properly before buying parts is the sensible thing to do. The circuit diagrams are available in the service manual and somewhere in this site is a PDF, but I don't have it handy. Good luck!!!!

Edit: This sounds like your meal ticket. Understanding the various switch positions and why several of them create identical conditions should help narrow down the problem quickly.
Well I got out there on Sunday and all the fuses checked out fine. Monday started it up and voila.. it's like there was never a problem. Not sure why. I'm waiting for it to happen again to figure out exactly everything that's wrong.
I'm also gonna look into what you said based on the previous experience of what happened. But it might just stay this way. I'm really confused as to why it happened and why it is now back after not driving it for a day but oh well I'm not complaining
Old 01-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Intermittent electrical problems are really hard to track down. I really hope your issue doesn't come back, but if it does, write down all the symptoms again and use wiring diagrams to try and find the common component that would be causing a problem as it's very unlikely there is more than one issue at play here, especially if the problem just disappeared.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was getttin the same exact symptoms as you (wipers, headlights, etc.) and it kinda disappeared the first day but it came back a few days later and never went away..i hope it doesnt come back for you obv...but if it does, then I would go with what I did to fix it...
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem on my 04. Outside temp isn't work plus all of your symptoms. I checked every due possible and did various power and ground checks. It one day went away and hasn't come back since. Thank god and hopefully it stays that way. But I made the same post and the only thing I was getting was the fuse box by the dead pedal gets wet or moist. But till this day it hasn't been a problem again. Good luck to you I hope it just goes away and stays away.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
those were part of my symptoms when I had a leak in my windshield and water dripped onto the MCU ( fuse box )

Eventually got the window resealed and let the box dry out and all is good.

Might want to check if any water got in there
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Teenage TL

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Intermittent electrical problems are really hard to track down. I really hope your issue doesn't come back, but if it does, write down all the symptoms again and use wiring diagrams to try and find the common component that would be causing a problem as it's very unlikely there is more than one issue at play here, especially if the problem just disappeared.
Originally Posted by ArAbiAnArAb
I was getttin the same exact symptoms as you (wipers, headlights, etc.) and it kinda disappeared the first day but it came back a few days later and never went away..i hope it doesnt come back for you obv...but if it does, then I would go with what I did to fix it...
Originally Posted by WAngel
I had the same problem on my 04. Outside temp isn't work plus all of your symptoms. I checked every due possible and did various power and ground checks. It one day went away and hasn't come back since. Thank god and hopefully it stays that way. But I made the same post and the only thing I was getting was the fuse box by the dead pedal gets wet or moist. But till this day it hasn't been a problem again. Good luck to you I hope it just goes away and stays away.
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
those were part of my symptoms when I had a leak in my windshield and water dripped onto the MCU ( fuse box )

Eventually got the window resealed and let the box dry out and all is good.

Might want to check if any water got in there
I literally installed my subs this week. My fuse box is fine checked all the fuses and tapped the accessory for the sub run. If water is getting in there somehow I'm gonna be not happy at all but it seems to be fine.

I actually forgot this problem happened. Everything was fine. Bam at 4pm today it's rainy and wet.. same exact symptoms. I plan on investigating more tomorrow I had things to do tonight. We shall see!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:54 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had this problem and found the solution (at least in my case). I'll post it here in case it helps anyone else.

Same symptoms as the OP. I ordered a new Multiplex Unit (driver's side footwell fuse box) but that didn't fix the problem. Fuses were OK.

It turned out to be the electrical connection at the driver's door hinge. if you pop off the rubber wire cover you'll find two plugs. The one on the bottom had backed out slightly and was making only partial contact with the pins. This must have caused a short or an incomplete circuit which essentially disabled the Multiplex Unit (there's a logic board inside that handles much of the I/O.

If you have similar symptoms I'd check the door area first. Worn out cabling or water could potentially cause the same problems.

Nate
Old 03-31-2016, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

This just happened today with my 08 MDX. Was hoping from going through all of the threads to find what the actual solution is. It's very frustrating knowing that something like this happens after my warranty expires on the car. I'll let it sit for a few hours and see what the outcome is. From what I've read so far, the symptoms just go away by themselves.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ThisKarDood
This just happened today with my 08 MDX. Was hoping from going through all of the threads to find what the actual solution is. It's very frustrating knowing that something like this happens after my warranty expires on the car. I'll let it sit for a few hours and see what the outcome is. From what I've read so far, the symptoms just go away by themselves.
Were you able to figure out the issue with the MDX? Experiencing exactly the same issue after a rain storm a few days ago. It’s been below freezing so I don’t think things are drying up but would like to figure out the source of my issue.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
Originally Posted by chris retamar

Were you able to figure out the issue with the MDX? Experiencing exactly the same issue after a rain storm a few days ago. It’s been below freezing so I don’t think things are drying up but would like to figure out the source of my issue.
Your MICU/fuse box probably has water damage. It's in the driver's kick panel typically.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Hey can u help me with this problem I don’t know if it’s a relay or module

Originally Posted by Jklaz
So it's been cold over the past couple of days (I'm sure you've noticed lol) and today was rainy. Don't know if any of these conditions might have anything to do with it but I thought I'd mention!

So as I said, it was raining. I ran out in the drizzle to find that my key fob wasn't unlocking the car. At first I thought my battery died, since that was a common problem before I unplugged the dead HFL, but I unlocked with the key in driver door and hopped inside. I turned the car on perfectly fine. First thing I noticed was that the lock/unlock button on my driver door wasn't working. I reached over to the passenger side and that button locked the car. Big whoop. Something was wrong. I started to reverse and drive away, then turning out of the parking lot I noticed my turn signals weren't working. As I sat at the stop for a few moments, I realized my lights weren't on. They came on. But the light on the dash showing they were on didn't. Fogs wouldn't come on. THEN I looked up and it started raining harder. Wipers wouldn't work if i hit the lever up for the 1 time, and wouldn't do anything if I put it on the interval setting. On the Low and High settings, the wipers thankfully worked, VERY fast, but I got home.

This is all related. It all worked in the morning, just not in the afternoon. Any suggestions? Is it just a fuse or something lol please help!! Havven't tested anything else as it's cold and still raining since

tl;dr:
key fob unlock and trunk do NOT work
driver door unlock button does NOT work
passenger side unlock button does
lights turn on, but does not show up on dash as lights on
fog lights do NOT work
turn signals do NOT work
hazards do work
Can u please help me fix this problem I don’t know if it’s a relay or module
Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ravin
Can u please help me fix this problem I don’t know if it’s a relay or module
Did the OP find a fix for this? Mine just did the same. Outside temp not lit, doors wont lock from inside, key fob wont lock or unlock, blinkers not working.