Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014 | 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

Transmission question

Ok, so i've read tons on here and elsewhere about the "3x3" drain and fill method of changing transmission oil. I have a 2008 TL base model w/navigation. Today I brought my car to a very reputable transmission mechanic who has tons of experience with hondas and Acuras. I told him about what ive read and what is suggested for draining and replacing the tranny oil. He said he would check to see if he could "pump" the oil out of the tranny by removing the transmission cooler line that connects to the radiator, as he's done this numerous times with success. I told him i hadn't heard of this before and left it to his experience to do this job. I picked up the car 4 hours later and he told me he was able to drain 8 quarts out by using this method. He did not use any aftermarket machine to pump the oil out. Im wondering why other people arent doing it this way? He replaced the oil with genuine Acura/Honda DW1 tranny oil. The car is shifting smooth with no problems, as i didnt have any problems to begin with. I also suggested he replace the pressure switches and he said it was a total waste of time and money in doing this. He said they are simple "on/off" switches, and DO NOT rely on any type of calibration as some have suggested.

So, as i said, just wondering why others havent done this method of changing the fluid.

Thanks

Alan
Old 06-27-2014 | 11:36 PM
Suzuka Master

That is an excellent way to change all of the fluid quickly. A 3x3 mixes old and new fluid and you drain it. This method removes the old until the new fluid flows out and then your done. He is completely mistaken on the switches and those should be replaced on a reasonable schedule.
Old 06-27-2014 | 11:42 PM
Advanced

Another way to do it is drain the old fluid out fill it up with 3 quarts of fresh Acura ATF and while the front wheels are off the ground turn the VSA off and put the car in drive and the the wheels spin for about 10-15 mins then stop the wheels put it in park turn it off, drain the fluid out and refill it back up with fresh Acura ATF. That's how we flush the transmissions at the Acura dealer I work at. But for further reference never flush a honda/Acura auto tranny after 100k you will do more damage to it than good
Old 06-28-2014 | 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Many will simply disconnect the transmission line, start the car and let the fluid flow into a container. One must be careful as to not run the car after the fluid has been pumped out and some will try and add fluid as the car is running to replenish the spent fluid. All valid ways to do a fluid exchange, but much more involved then just removing a drain plug and dropping 3+ qts. at a time.

As far as the pressure switches, I'd say they are on/off style and Honda/Acura has no service requirements and some on the Forum have experienced trans failure even with new switches. I personally wouldn't replace them unless they prove to be bad, but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-28-2014 | 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all of your input. I was worried when he told me the way he did it. As i said, he is a very reputable tranny mech in our area. Im gonna just keep driving it and not worry about the switches. It is down shifting smoother than it used to, but it didnt have any problems to begin with. thanks again.

Alan
Old 06-28-2014 | 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

you can use the cooler lines to suck new fluid in and push the old fluid out or you can just drain and fill every other oil change.
Old 06-28-2014 | 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
you can use the cooler lines to suck new fluid in and push the old fluid out or you can just drain and fill every other oil change.
that's what I do and have been doing with every Honda/acura I've owned.
Old 06-28-2014 | 08:29 PM
10th Gear

Today my 2004 TL (I'm orignal owner) transmission quit.
I'm bummed big time because this has been a great car over the last ten years. Dealer told me 4000.00 for Acura trany.
Not sure what I'm going to do. I need a car and the 2015 TLX should be at the dealer next week. Anyone know of a good rebuilder that is less than dealer. I could drive this car for another 5 years if I knew it would keep up. I dont like the current TL's. The 4th generation TL's just don't do it for me.
Old 06-29-2014 | 04:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by md88plt
I'm bummed big time because this has been a great car over the last ten years. Dealer told me 4000.00 for Acura trany.
Not sure what I'm going to do. I need a car and the 2015 TLX should be at the dealer next week. Anyone know of a good rebuilder that is less than dealer. I could drive this car for another 5 years if I knew it would keep up. I dont like the current TL's. The 4th generation TL's just don't do it for me.
swap 2007 accord v6 trans in. you will have to swap a wirenharness, oil to water cooler, PRNDL switch, and diff filter (optional)
Old 07-04-2014 | 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Ive heard many on here say that their TL runs and shifts much smoother after replacing the switches and the fluid, but really its hard to tell if it was just replacing the fluid that makes the difference. Ive had acura service guys tell me that its a complete waste of money to replace these switches on a regular basis or at all! If one is bad, a code will appear. ??? I chose to not replace mine.
Old 07-04-2014 | 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by md88plt
I feel your pain, I just went through this not too long ago. I hope all works out in the end for you!
Old 07-05-2014 | 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alanrmui
Ive heard many on here say that their TL runs and shifts much smoother after replacing the switches and the fluid, but really its hard to tell if it was just replacing the fluid that makes the difference. Ive had acura service guys tell me that its a complete waste of money to replace these switches on a regular basis or at all! If one is bad, a code will appear. ??? I chose to not replace mine.
That is exactly what whitebear acura said. I would tend to disagree based upon my experience. I had my trans doing all sorts of weird stuff and finally it set a code for 4th gear pressure switch failure. replaced it and IMMEDIATELY all of my problems went away and the transmission behaves properly now even with non changed fluid in it.

I do a drain and fill every other oil change or about once a year and for a few hundred miles it will appear to shift sweetly then it is back to what it was. Now with the new switch it shifts good all the time