Transmission probs-PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission probs-PLEASE HELP!

Ok so up until last week my 05 TL drove great. I went to work had no probs went across town to a drivethru for lunch no probs then halfway back to work I slipped out of or wasnt able to get the next gear, rpms just a revving but wldnt go faster than 35-40 mph. Got back to work checked fluid level ect. Waited a few min drove it again, drove perfectly again..for abt 5min then I lost ALL gears. Tried to put in manual to shift gears and it automatically kicked me back to automatic. Let it sit..did the same thing again after a couple min of driving:no gears whatsoever not even reverse. Towed it home, drained the fluids and replaced the (outter) trans filter. Car drove ok nxt 3 days other than a whineing noise espec when first started/cold and it was a small delay in going from reverse into drive but all other gears shifted just fine. Day 3 it started again revving out/slipping then a min later lost all gears again. Let it sit drive fine for a min or two before all gears (even reverse) was gone again. Ive flushed the fluid again and taken shift sensors, transmission control solenoid off cleaned them (not really dirty at all) & tested them seem to be just fine.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHATS GOING ON??? possibly had this prob before? I have NO check engine light nor any other light coming on with this even while sitting in the middle.of the hwy just a revving away and not moving and inch..still no lights come on. I need help. I cant afford to just throw parts at it nor do I have the time to be out there everyday trying to fig this out. Please help!
Oh and btw when I was taking those shift sensors off they were labeled 3 &4 but then there was another labeled "T"...whats that?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Clutch packs are probably toast regardless of what actually caused it.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
A guy I know told me that before his transmission went out there was a loud whine at startup. He got it rebuilt.

You'll need to get yours rebuilt also.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
A guy I know told me that before his transmission went out there was a loud whine at startup. He got it rebuilt.

You'll need to get yours rebuilt also.
I just think its crazy I could walk out there right now and it would drive great...for abt 5 min then to just LOSE EVERY SINGLE GEAR?? And then to not have any dash lights come on? All the research ive been doing...there should be a code/light come on. Its almost like its a pressure type issue. Fine until pressure builds up somewhere like the trans fluid cant get through for it to change the gears?!?! Maybe im just wishful thinking here. But its the oddest thing ive ever seen. I just dont get it. Even if I end up having to rebuild the tranny or most likely ill replace it but I still HAVE TO KNOW what this issue is...it will eat at me if I dont ever figure it out. :-) I REALLY dont want to have to replace the tranny tho just paid the dern car off!!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 PM
6th Gear

Whats the "t"???

When I took off the shift sensors they were "3" & "4" and then there was another labeled "T". What sensor is that??
Old 01-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
As I stated before, you need to check your line pressure at cold startup and watch It as it warms up. It takes 5 minutes to check (you need a gauge first) and will tell you if your trans needs a rebuild.

With the information your giving us I already know you need a rebuild but it never hurts to make sure.

Get a cheap 300 psi pressure gauge at any place and this type of adapter for the trans.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQONAJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage

Go by these pics to find your line pressure port and the proper pressures.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
As I stated before, you need to check your line pressure at cold startup and watch It as it warms takes 5 minutes to check (you need a gauge first) and will tell you if your trans needs a rebuild.

With the information your giving us I already know you need a rebuild but it never hurts to make sure.

Get a cheap 300 psi pressure gauge at any place and this type of adapter for the trans.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQONAJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage

Go by these pics to find your line pressure port and the proper pressures.

Thanks thats some great info. Ill do it this weekend, before I do anything else. Ill keep you posted with what I find out. Im praying your wrong but I kinda know your right
:'(
Thanks again for the links amd everything. Ive already got the gauge ill pick up the adapter tomar
Old 01-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
The whine you hear is your torque converter pump failing. I wen through the exact same issue as you.

During cold start you hear a loud whine. Which increases with RPM speed.
Delayed engagement of R or D.

gears slip and just rev like crazy.
Sure you dont want to hear this but prepare for a rebuild.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
The whine you hear is your torque converter pump failing. I wen through the exact same issue as you.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3

This is exactly my experience as well on my 02Tls. Torque conv shutters for about a year. Played the game of driving in D4 unless on the highway over 60 then would use D5..otherwise it would shutter in D5. I realize the 3G's you can't do this. Anyways, I've had the torque conv whine for maybe 2 months for the first few miles. The torque conv finally gave out yesterday. Starting revving high and slipping. Got the P0740 torque conv code. Have an AV6 in the garage so time to install...
Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
This is exactly my experience as well on my 02Tls. Torque conv shutters for about a year. Played the game of driving in D4 unless on the highway over 60 then would use D5..otherwise it would shutter in D5. I realize the 3G's you can't do this. Anyways, I've had the torque conv whine for maybe 2 months for the first few miles. The torque conv finally gave out yesterday. Starting revving high and slipping. Got the P0740 torque conv code. Have an AV6 in the garage so time to install...

I think I should of taken the car to the trans shop immediately once the whine started.
Replacing just the torque converter could of fixed it but by now. I probably have metal flakes all over the place.