Transmission not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pwr2panda
So I've fallen victim to transmission issues as well. 05 TL with original trans at 128K mi. It catches the gears a bit roughly at cold starts but loses the 3rd 4th and 5th gears when it warms up. Its had 3rd and 4th pressure switches replaced in Oct 2011 and recently had 3x3 service with Redline D4 8/2013 to 12/2013. Never replaced the filter. Dealership says that I gotta replace the trans for $4500, but I was wondering if you guys thought that gettin the filter and pressure switches replaced and drain and fill would be a good final hail mary? Or should I just do the filter and drain and fill?

I don't think you're supposed to use Redline in cold climates
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
I'm at 124,00 miles. I just dropped almost 3 grand on a full tune-up (2 motor mounts replaced, spark plugs and cables, timing belt and tensioner, water pump, power steering pump, both front compliance bushings, and 4 wheel alignment.

After all this was done, I had the car for about a week and my tranny started doing the same exact thing as the OP. There are no codes on the dash and the tranny was due for a flush soon. Did I wait too long?

I cranked it up yesterday just to keep the parts lubricated and the transmission was making a terrible whine. When i put it in gear, it delayed for a few seconds and then it slowly slipped into R and D. The whine only occured in P or N. Any suggestions?
Yikes.. Sounds like the problem I had a week before my transmission gave out on me. It would delay into R/D when it was cold, with the whine. I believe the whine is from the torque converter but don't hold me on that.
It may be time to get the transmission replaced.. It won't be much longer until it throws a code.

Mine threw P0746 - Stuck A/T Clutch pressure solenoid A.
Replaced the solenoid, filter, 3rd/4th gear switches and a full 3x3
Drove beautifully the first time, next day after it warmed up it began to slip again..
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexns05
I don't think you're supposed to use Redline in cold climates
What would be a better ATF to use instead?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Wow. You can also only use Redline in black cars. It won't work in other colors.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well he's the one who said it lol...
Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Haha oops maybe I was thinking of the racing ATF? I remember reading several thread about it on here and one of them didn't shift very well in cold temperatures.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey guys, AT 06 with 102k. Last night I was doing my normal service of redline racing atf 3 quarts every other oil change so it stays fresh. After the the drain and fill I turn my car on to go for a drive its starts to whine, never heard this before, I shut the engine off to check everything but nothing I can see was wrong, so I turn it on again and same noise comes up and this time I came of park to reverse the noise stopped but trans DID NOT ENGAGE! I then tried drive absolutely nothing engaging the car is stuck in a neutral sense but only whines in park and neatral. It was cold in the garage like 20°f I'm thinking the oil is not very good in cold weather. I then drained it noticing no metal on magnit bolt but start seeing little clumps of a jelly type fluid at this point I'm shitting my pants. I always keep up with my trans since I got the car at 43k redline oil, pressure switches and filter change. I then checked the other bottles of redline racing atf I have and open it to find these very little jelly like bubbles in the fluid every single bottle except the light weight racing atf was jelly like ! I didn't catch it when I filled it and now I think my transmission is done because of some old or expired redline oil I bought in a 12 pack on not very long ago on amazon. Im calling redline tomorrow to express my situation in hopes of some help.

Just the cap of brand new bottle of redline racing atf. captured some jelly

The last drain i did after i put the rest in open bottles to dicard notice the bubbles of jelly like form
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Roll Tide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reno, any update? Am curious as to what redline has to say.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta bring this post back to live as I believe my car is possibly coming to an end.

I have a 04 TL with 235,000km on it. I maintain it very well. About 2 years back my car had a hard a time kicking into the 3rd gear and I got my 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches changed and since then I've been doing a tranny fluid change every other oil change using Acura/Honda ATF.

The fluid level is normal and its a light brown color, so that part seems good.

I do not recalling ever changing the transmission fluid filter. For some reason no one has ever mentioned anything about that to me. Guess, its kind of stupid of me for not knowing this. At this point I'm hope its that.

But right now the car is pretty much what the OP's car did.
I do not have a engine light or D blinking or anything. I was driving the car and all of a sudden it just started revving to about 3000RPM without giving me any actual power. Then it I would release my gas and the car would drive fine again. By the end of the car the problem got worse and the car fully stopped moving and it would just rev. I noticed when you switch the car from Park to Drive the car usually just moves forward on its own without me having to push the gas down, but with this issue it wouldn't even do that. So I parked managed to park my car in a parking lot and toe truck came and he moved the car and obviously the car drove fine. So he decided to let me drive my car as he followed to the shop (7km) and I didn't have any issues, but I left it there anyway for them to take a look at it.

Is my tranny gone? Why would the car sometimes drive and sometimes screw around? Filter clogged?
The the symptoms I told my mechanic over the phone he said its probably dead :S But he has to take a look at it tomorrow.

Last edited by DejaVu85; 04-28-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

It's those Damn external filters!

Originally Posted by DejaVu85
Gotta bring this post back to live as I believe my car is possibly coming to an end.

I have a 04 TL with 235,000km on it. I maintain it very well. About 2 years back my car had a hard a time kicking into the 3rd gear and I got my 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches changed and since then I've been doing a tranny fluid change every other oil change using Acura/Honda ATF.

The fluid level is normal and its a light brown color, so that part seems good.

I do not recalling ever changing the transmission fluid filter. For some reason no one has ever mentioned anything about that to me. Guess, its kind of stupid of me for not knowing this. At this point I'm hope its that.

But right now the car is pretty much what the OP's car did.
I do not have a engine light or D blinking or anything. I was driving the car and all of a sudden it just started revving to about 3000RPM without giving me any actual power. Then it I would release my gas and the car would drive fine again. By the end of the car the problem got worse and the car fully stopped moving and it would just rev. I noticed when you switch the car from Park to Drive the car usually just moves forward on its own without me having to push the gas down, but with this issue it wouldn't even do that. So I parked managed to park my car in a parking lot and toe truck came and he moved the car and obviously the car drove fine. So he decided to let me drive my car as he followed to the shop (7km) and I didn't have any issues, but I left it there anyway for them to take a look at it.

Is my tranny gone? Why would the car sometimes drive and sometimes screw around? Filter clogged?
The the symptoms I told my mechanic over the phone he said its probably dead :S But he has to take a look at it tomorrow.
Recently had the same problem started checking my screens in my solenoid everything was fine when I found out there was a filter I could change I pulled the return line out to change the filter there's a bolt that goes in there it has holes in it allowing flow through the transmission lines that's where the filter is the filter comes apart and blocks that line or and or continues to disintegrate glue and pass it through the transmission clogging everything else. I'm not happy I've maintained my Honda very well my Acura 188,000 miles. Never saw this coming. I had a 2000 TL and I knew there was issues with that already but not my 05 it was perfect
Old 12-30-2017, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

06 Acura TL transmission replace

Hi guys new to the group, was curious if you guys could help me. So i have an 06 Acura TL, and the torque converter clutch went bad so i bought an used trans from eBay. Of course i did my research spoke to the guy it was pretty legit got my trans in a couple days warranty , low mileage. I got my mechanic to put it in the car, and seems like its worse. The car barely accelerates now majority of the time just revs instead of accelerating & when it does accelerate it takes it a min to get up to speed. Also when i move the gear from say “P” to “D” or “P” to “R” doesn’t matter what i have it in I.T still indicates or lights up beside the “P” as if i have it in Park. Guy i bought it from says just need to clean solenoids and make sure i strictly use trans fluid from the dealership. Any ideas what could be wrong thinking my mechanic did something wrong or maybe it is the trans... any idea?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Guapgod
Hi guys new to the group, was curious if you guys could help me. So i have an 06 Acura TL, and the torque converter clutch went bad so i bought an used trans from eBay. Of course i did my research spoke to the guy it was pretty legit got my trans in a couple days warranty , low mileage. I got my mechanic to put it in the car, and seems like its worse. The car barely accelerates now majority of the time just revs instead of accelerating & when it does accelerate it takes it a min to get up to speed. Also when i move the gear from say “P” to “D” or “P” to “R” doesn’t matter what i have it in I.T still indicates or lights up beside the “P” as if i have it in Park. Guy i bought it from says just need to clean solenoids and make sure i strictly use trans fluid from the dealership. Any ideas what could be wrong thinking my mechanic did something wrong or maybe it is the trans... any idea?
Tell your mechanic to put the old neutral switch in your car with the new transmission that might fix your problem
Old 02-11-2018, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Can't fugue out how to post my own problem with transmission

My transmission engages fine at startup. After it's going it will stop engaging motor is running but nothing .I pull over shut down and restart it and it's fine. Never heard of this problem before and it does it frequently. Since it clears as soon as I restart and put it in gear, doesn't sound like a transmission but what could it be
Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you want to submit a new thread, near the top left corner of the page there is a box that says "New Thread" except in the Car Parts or Cars for Sale Black Market forums where it says "Create new marketplace listing". If the box isn't there, you are probably in a forum where you are not yet allowed to submit threads, like the Black Market.

Click on that button and you get a big yellow outlined box where you can type your message and put in the thread title.

When you're done with that, go to the bottom and there are two boxes, "Submit new thread" or "Preview post". It is always good to click on the "Preview Post" button and check out what you wrote.

After you make any corrections, or if it was okay as is, click on the "Submit new thread" button and it should enter your thread.

If you want to submit a new post in an existing thread, go to the bottom of the thread and post your comments in the Message Box, and then click on the Post Quick Reply button when you are ready to submit.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 PM
8th Gear

soo... no one figured out the problem?? anyone change there tranmission filters and/or clean there solenoids ...and recieve good results?? Im assuming No while Hoping fro the best!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 01:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TL S (smokeshyt)
soo... no one figured out the problem?? anyone change there tranmission filters and/or clean there solenoids ...and recieve good results?? Im assuming No while Hoping fro the best!!!
Maybe overfilling the transmission... I have an 08 and notice now that it is sensitive to that... In fact I would now err on the side of caution and underfill rather than overfilling.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 PM
5th Gear

It just happened to me.

Leaving work, about a mile down the road, doing 35 in a 20 zone, the car went from 3 or 4th gear down to first. And would do the typical revving. Shut off and back on it would engage in drive but only first, would not go into 2nd. Cold start it would shift out, then nothing.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by holaroznic
Leaving work, about a mile down the road, doing 35 in a 20 zone, the car went from 3 or 4th gear down to first. And would do the typical revving. Shut off and back on it would engage in drive but only first, would not go into 2nd. Cold start it would shift out, then nothing.
Sounds like you're a candidate for a used or rebuilt AV6 transmission.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would be the latest version for my 3rd and 4th gear at pressure switches?

I see there are at least a couple of options for part numbers. I ordered 28600-RAY-013 and 28610-RAY-013 for my 2004 TL. It is my understanding that these are the updated versions for parts 28600-P7W-003 / 28600-P7Z-003 ?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by holaroznic
I had the exact same thing happen, had the car towed and transmission rebuilt.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

Acura TL 3.2 2005

I changed trans filter , put new trans fluid in , car is STILL going into drive and reverse and not moving ... what is the problem ??
Old 05-23-2023, 04:16 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by hmcentyre
I changed trans filter , put new trans fluid in , car is STILL going into drive and reverse and not moving ... what is the problem ??
Lots of possible reasons, a blow transmission being chief among them.

Just a thought, have you checked your axles?
Old 05-24-2023, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 759 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by hmcentyre
You only put in 1 quart of fluid?
You forgot to out the drain plug back in?
Handbrake is pulled up to the 9th click?
Car still on the hoist?
Two bro-trucks are using your car for a tug of war?
A semi truck pinned your car against a concrete wall?

I'm just guessing...