AT transmission feed line leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
AT transmission feed line leak

so i was at the dealership to get an oil and trans fluid change and they said they found a leak. they worried it to be something worse but said it was a feed line, i think thats what they call it, but its a cheap part but unfortunately will take a few hours to install. fluid looked good and it wasnt low, but it was leaking. i had some seals replaced last year, cant remember the name...it was like the axle seals or something to that nature (dont have the paperwork in front of me). they told me today that that problem isnt great because if the seals are not seating(sp?) then there could be something wrong with the trans and it may need to be replaced. when he saw this current leak he thought again that it may be an ongoing issue and the trans may need to be replaced. he said they cleaned it up and found were the leak was and it was with this line. should be up and runnning by tomorrow.

any thoughts on this? anyone heard of this issue or my other issue? thanks in advance!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Full of water...

just wondering if anyone had anything to say...no, ok, i will be back
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Full of water...

just checking in one last time before i head home..anything...nope...going once, twice, gone!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
You are not getting any replies because this issue is too vague. It could be nothing or it could be serious. No one wants to comment without having more info.

Here is what we need to do. Have the technician show you where the leak is located. I think you said that they cleaned it. If so, have the tech so you where it was located.

Then just keep an eye on that area periodically to see if it leaks and how much.

All cars leaks fluid as they get older. But, what is a "leak"? We need to define that word. All old cars will develop a damp spot, maybe even leak an actual drop of fluid on the driveway. Just depends on the situation, but in general this is normal and no reason for concern.

I will share my viewpoint which is learned from years of experience dealing with repair shops (dealers are not immune either). You take the car to the shop to have something done. The shop sees this *normal* damp spot of fluid leakage and will use this as an opportunity to drum-up business. This happens a lot, at least to me. And, I am sure that this tactic works for the shop in the vast majority of cases. It don't work with me. I tell them very sternly that is not a leak and just normal seepage for it's age. I don't even need for them to show me because I am aware of the condition of my car. They say "blah, blah, has a leak in that area". I automatically know that they are trying to scam me because I am already aware of that normal damp spot. After that stern reply, they cease and desist that tactic with me.

For me, I know my own cars and their condition. So, I know they are scamming me. But in your case, your leak could be nothing or it could be serious. I can't say without seeing a picture.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 02-19-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Full of water...

Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it! I understand the vague-ness but was just looking for anyone who has seen, been told of, or has heard of a similar issue. I have been on this site for a few years now and havent heard of this issue popping up. I was in a bit of a rush yesterday so i kinda took their word for it, which probably wasnt the correct thing to do. I know how shops work and i usually need a lot of convincing, but i have had bad luck with cars and transmissions so i guess when someone tells me their is an issue i like to jump on it as soon as i can. I will be sure to report back once i know more. Thanks again!