Transmission or Drive Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission or Drive Axle?

Yesterday, while I was at a complete stop and wanting to switch lanes, I pressed on the gas and something popped or snapped in the transmission it seemed and the engine would just rev. The little bit of momentum I had left allowed me to roll into an adjacent parking lot, but I could not put my car into park or reverse. The furthest I could push my shifter to was neutral. I looked underneath and didn't see any fluids leaking out.

Given the fact that I could not put the transmission any higher than neutral (automatic transmission), does this point to a transmission problem? Or could the drive axle have broken, preventing me from being able to shift it into park? Any thoughts on what might be wrong is greatly appreciated.

It's a 2007 Acura TL, not a S-type with an automatic transmission.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
With the engine off, were you able to put it back in Park?
YES -- check your axles
NO -- something else in the transmission is mad
Old 08-13-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Podewell
Yesterday, while I was at a complete stop and wanting to switch lanes, I pressed on the gas and something popped or snapped in the transmission it seemed and the engine would just rev. The little bit of momentum I had left allowed me to roll into an adjacent parking lot, but I could not put my car into park or reverse. The furthest I could push my shifter to was neutral. I looked underneath and didn't see any fluids leaking out.

Given the fact that I could not put the transmission any higher than neutral (automatic transmission), does this point to a transmission problem? Or could the drive axle have broken, preventing me from being able to shift it into park? Any thoughts on what might be wrong is greatly appreciated.

It's a 2007 Acura TL, not a S-type with an automatic transmission.
Its the cv axle because I experienced the exact problem you're having a few days ago. My TL would not move and I could not shift the gear pass neutral. I got my TL towed to a friend's car garage and we saw the front driver side cv axle snapped it half. I replaced both the driver and passenger side drive axle and the TL is good as new.

Last edited by optical24; 08-13-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear

Hey Eric, thanks for this post. I'm experiencing the same thing in my 07' TL Type-S - 145k miles - Automatic transmission. I was driving home and heard a noise after I went over a speed bump, and when I hit the gas it would rev up but not go anywhere, so I pushed it to the front of my house, thankfully I was pretty close! Another day, I decided to check the car out more and check the transmission fluid which is low.
But, the car starts and runs\idles fine.
I can shift from park to reverse, I let my foot off the brake and reverse didn’t move the car and I didn’t want to hit the gas. (My 1st car timing belt snapped so didn't want to try too much based on my experiences)
Then I shifted to neutral fine.
Then shifted to drive fine, felt it shift, then a few seconds later I heard like a short metal scratching sound. It didn’t last long and it wasn’t REAL loud.
From there I can shift back up to neutral but not up to reverse or park when the car is running.
When I turn the car off, I can then shift up to park.
So, the weather has been crappy all week here in Ohio but today's 65 degrees and not raining so I going to crawl under the car today after work and check out the drive axles, Acura Columbus told me based on my symptoms to check that and they don't think it's the transmission! Hopefully, they're right! lol

Eric, what fixed your issue?
If anyone else has more insight into this or some thread links I can read into I would greatly appreciate it. I've been trying to do some searches in my spare time while I'm at work now but haven't had much time.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 AM
1st Gear

It the cv axle, happened to me over the summer, thought it was trans but it was the axle . It just happens to me again for the 2nd time
Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM
E39
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like as these cars are getting up there in age this is becoming a common theme. Same exact thing happened to me 07 type s 148k miles passenger side axle snapped.
OP peek underneath the car you should be able to see if your axle snapped. Sounds like axle.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:58 PM
E39
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by optical24
Its the cv axle because I experienced the exact problem you're having a few days ago. My TL would not move and I could not shift the gear pass neutral. I got my TL towed to a friend's car garage and we saw the front driver side cv axle snapped it half. I replaced both the driver and passenger side drive axle and the TL is good as new.
If you don't mind me asking what kind of axles did you replace with, aftermarket or oem?