Tranny Slipping after switches and fluid, was perfect before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tranny Slipping after switches and fluid, was perfect before?

iv been searching in these forums before i even bought this car doing the proper research and was sure this car was the one for me ( 2006 TL base, 1 owner 64k miles) well 4,000 miles later this happens. i replaced the 3rd and 4th gear switched like everyone on this website swears by. also i put new Z1 fluid ( 3 quarts, drian and fill ), not redline which i was going to do veryyyyy soon ( the order was already placed ). I did this work last week april 2nd , so its been one week.

yesterday i got on the park way and from a roll around 20-30 mph merged into traffic and hit the gas around 50-60% and experienced 2 HORRIBLE shifts outta nowhere during the downshift from the roll 3rd to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. <---- this is where the two bad shifts started.

Yesterday i didnt notice anything crazy, but today my car would drive great from a stop and move forward. Most of the slippage occurs when i am rolling a X mph and i give the throttle gas with the transmission responding by downshifting the the respective gear and then slipping before catching the gear. this happens with consistency and now it slightly slipping when i pull out and accerlate slowly. also i will be drifting at X mph and the car will sudden jerk and downshift in a manner not normal.

ALSO the car smells of burnt tranny fluid under the hood and outside of the car, after small drives.

now im sitting @ 68 k miles with 2 k miles left on the factory warrenty....right?

my questions to aziners:

1.is my car under a factory warrenty
2. is my tranny f**ked
3. if not how to fix......the obvious answer is redline

Going to the dealer tommarow morning, hope i can get a loaner, but i doubt it, prob end up renting a car.

I just got this car i Feb and i am deeply saddened by this and hope Acura actually helps someone, my last battle with acura did not end well. I didnt buy this car from the acura dealer rather a medium sized dealership, they claimed it has a 70k powertrain warrenty.

thanks guys any help or input is greatly appriecated

Last edited by rkan121; 04-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
are u sure u didnt mix up the switches?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Racer

def did not mix them up
Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you check fluid level? If you did drain and fill, and changed out sensors, you've lost more than 3 quarts. If you've put in only 3 quarts, I'm guessing you'd need more transmission fluid.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Racer

i measured how much came out (old ATF), just so i would know exactly what to add. ever since those 2 rough shifts, 2 days ago to the car was never the same. Its at the Acura dealer and i have a nice 2011 MDX loaner in the mean time. well see what happens, the dealer i bought it from is honoring the 70 k powertrain warrenty, he promised me.....Its threw guardian they claim. I also talked to threw local tranny shop doing the work. so far good progress, my only question.

Whats this going to cost me?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
you are second person who changed ATF, switches and had problems with transmission, right after job was done. I am debating right now whether to change switches or not. Since i already have it, i think i will :P
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
What color is the ATF right now?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I had my switches and flush done and noticed i can feel the shift like a slight bump, before it was perfect. I assume that the fluid has no friction modifiers so it grabs more quickly preventing more wear whereas friction modifiers grab it slowly with more clutch wear but no feel.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by rkan121
...., the dealer i bought it from is honoring the 70 k powertrain warrenty, he promised me.....Its threw guardian they claim. I also talked to threw local tranny shop doing the work. so far good progress, my only question.

Whats this going to cost me?
The stock OE Power Train warranty is 6-years or 70,000 miles. It's Acura's OE warranty. It includes the transmission.

Regardless of whether Acura has it under-written or who under-writes it, don't let 'em game you. If you're under 6-years (from date of first service) and 70,000 miles, as far as you're concerned it's an Acura OE warranty.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Racer

I was debating on putting the old switches in, but since the trannys smells like burtn fluid/tranny, i figured id let the expert deal with it.

the old fluid was in good condition, it was redder than i expected, without alot of brown. as for the current ATF, i guess ill find out tommarow, im unsure of the color, but ill keep this forum updated without a doubt.

I will def sleep better @ night knowing ACURA and the other dealer both have the opportunity to cover this. I prob wont mention this to each party. Trust me im not sleeping good these days. My car inside and out was and is in amazing condition, that includes the trannys shifts and by no means beat on this car. Its a smooth ride and that the way it should be, however I should be able to get on the gas peddle every now and then, that what this car is about. ( not racing, rather enjoying your car).

I really dont enjoy dealing with Acura Client Services, but now I have two parties now feud with.

I wonder which I should pursue MORE? I guess i am in a position to go with the better deal assuming Im gonna have to pay something.

Please guys any advice in dealing with these people, is greatly appreciated. I guess if Acura has a 6 year / 70k miles warrenty I am entitled to this loaner ( 2011 MDX )for a longer period of time......right?????
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Racer

Oh I forgot to mention, I talked to the Acura service advisor on Saturday and that guy said I WAS NOT under a powertrain warranty. he said 5 year 50k miles is the warrenty for my car. Now I didnt talk to the service manager. Which i have talked to before on many occasions ( POS 2004 TSX ). Its funny was I talked to him last week right after I bought my fluid and switches from his dealership and he asked what i was doing, so I told him and seemed to disagree with what i was doing basically saying "if it aint broke dont fix it". well i find it hard to believe that the sensors and new ATF caused this tranny to fail in 6 days, but other mechanics I know also sided with the whole "fluid and switches theory". They told me not to mess with the fluid and switches, but after reading the success in this forum, it was hard to ignore.

I believe my clutch packs ( mainly 2nd gear )were on there way down the shitter anyways and this prob would have happened down the road anyways. since I changed the environment the tranny operates in, I must of sped up the process. I just glad i did the siwtches and fluid when i did (68 k miles), overwise I would be SOL....

How Do I Verify A 6 Year / 70 K Miles Powertain Warrenty???

Last edited by rkan121; 04-10-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM
baller on a budget, b!tch

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Damn dude, that really blows. It seems (according to the racing ATF thread) that the problem you're having is somewhat rare, as most experienced improved results after doing the switch. Keep us updated and good luck.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Oh I forgot to mention, I talked to the Acura service advisor on Saturday and that guy said I WAS NOT under a powertrain warranty. he said 5 year 50k miles is the warrenty for my car. ....

Somebody doesn't know WTF they're talking about. The original NON-power Train warranty (i.e. the so-called bumper-to-bumper warranty) was 4-years or 50,000 miles.

I suppose the Power Train warranty for an '06 could be different than an '07 (mine), but I doubt it. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts they're the same.

Powertrain Limited Warranty

Time and Mileage Period

This warranty’s coverage begins on
the same date as the New Vehicle
Limited Warranty (see page 13).
Your powertrain is covered for
6 years or 70,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
http://owners.acura.com/Documentum/W...s/BWL33424.pdf

Go here: http://owners.acura.com/landing.aspx

Choose "WARRANTY" at the top, then the "Enter Your Vehicle Info" link. Enter your year, model and trim. Then view the Warranty booklet PDF.

This kind of crap pisses me off to no end. You should contact Acura Client Services and lodge a complaint that the dealer/service writer is mis-representing your warranty coverage. Possibly to discourage you from making a warranty claim or to get you to pay for services that should be covered.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 04-10-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Racer

You the man Bearcat. I have all the ammo I need to fight this. THANKS
Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Those thinking this is the switches fault, think about what you're saying. You're replacing an old factory part with a new OEM Honda factory part. It is in no way whatsoever related the switches. It's coincidence. I would be like replacing the water pump with a new water pump and then the engine throws a rod so you blame the water pump. I'm just happy the Redline was not installed yet or everyone would turn against the fluid. How about blaming it on what really caused it, the Z1 fluid.

Sorry to hear about your loss. You can always put some of the $.99 type f from the store in it but I'll guarantee it's toast assuming it's not very low on fluid. Did you for sure install the switches in their proper places? I'll look into it deeper but there's the chance that installing the switches into the wrong hole can severely lower the line pressure, sort of the same thing the old switches do but worse. Don't hold me to it, I could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 06 and the powertrain warranty is 6/70. You could call Acura Care and give them your VIN and they can tell you.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Racer

thanks IHC, you input is always quality. I just hope this was a RARE case of trannys failure. Going back the the old wifes tale of "never to change your tranny fluid because your tranny could fail afterward" , this i believe is a old school approach and shouldnt apply to newer vechicle. espically if your keep new ATF in your car on a consistent basis. Im still unsure of the problem and quite honestly I am having problems copeing with this issue. I agree Z1 sucks bad, I believe it caused all my grief and will never buy it again. As soon as my tranny get replaced the REDLINE RACIING is going in FOREVER
Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Racer

as for the switch installation:

the dealership provided me with a picture diagram of the tranny and pointed out the switched. also had there lead tech look in his 2006 manuel and verify the part number, switches, and locations of those switches. I guess theres a possibility the tech could have switched them up and mislead me.

I put the 4th gear sensor up high (next to the 4 on the tranny) AND the 3rd gear sensor on the lower port.

i believe 4th gear sensor ends in "001" and 3rd is "002" as for part numbers.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
hmmm,......
I have these noted as being the part numbers

28610-RAY-003
28600-RAY-003

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ressure+switch
Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Racer

I got an update which sounds fishy coming from the dealer. They told me over the phone that my 3rd gear pressure switch was leaking and my ATF was low thus causing my tranny to slip. My mechanic and I both installed these switches and I KNOW we tightened them enough. I had a feeling the ATF might be low, but why was the question???

Does this sound like an excuse to get rid of this car and hope it passes 70 k miles??

If the switch was loose it would leak a very minimal amount of fluid in 6 days....right??

Last edited by rkan121; 04-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Actually the warranty for an 06 has been extended by a class action suit and it is 72,500 miles. I had my trans replaced at 69,5something
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

Did you recheck the level after driving it around? If the converter drained back during the change, it would suck down some more fluid after you start the engine.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
OP, i hope you get this covered under warranty, but it sounds like the dealer is right based on the following:

-someone asked you if you ever checked the atf level after you did the installation. you never said that you did, you just stated that you know you put the correct amount in after the drain. did you ever check it or not? the dealer is telling you that the fluid was way too low, and now you don't know for sure firsthand if you never looked at the dipstick yourself.

-you stated that there is a burned atf smell coming from the engine bay after the install, and now the dealer is telling you that they found atf leaking from one of the switches that was replaced. it's possible that the switch was screwed on too tightly thus developing a leak. those torque for those switches, if i remember correctly, is very light.

i hope i'm wrong, and good luck with the warranty coverage. trust me, i'm not one to side with dealers. i'm just playing devil's advocate based on what i'm reading.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's warrantied, then do this:

1)Demand a new transmission.
2)Play dumb if he asks about the switches. Heck, blame the switches.
3)Get a new transmission and break it in properly to make sure it works.
4)Get that crap Z1 out of your car.
5) Change out 3rd and 4th pressure sensors at 50k miles.
6) Tighten them properly

Hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Racer

i did check the fluid level ONCE during the the "slip period", it was a little low. the next day i took it to the dealer. I measured all the old ATF i took out of the car and then checked the new ATF level afterward....during my switch and ATF replacement. Also I know we tightened the 3rd and 4th gear switches properly....period. The bottom line is my clutch packs were producing this "ATF/Tranny Smell" which tell me my trannys is cooked!!!!

What do you do guys think about the ATF/tranny smell???? IS the Tranny Gone or soon to be gone?????

I authorized the dealership to do a tranny flush tommarow and they seem to believe the car will be fixed tommarow and good to go.

I think so those clutches packs are damaged....IMO.

Please keep in mind guys I never threw a CEL or a blinking D. Plus the car still moves with some slippage from point @ to point B.

updates on the horizon.

P.S. I want a new Tranny, thats what i am going to demand and fight for the next 1,900 miles

RTK

Last edited by rkan121; 04-11-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

i did check the fluid level ONCE during the the "slip period", it was a little low. the next day i took it to the dealer. I measured all the old ATF i took out of the car and then checked the new ATF level afterward....during my switch and ATF replacement. Also I know we tightened the 3rd and 4th gear switches properly....period. The bottom line is my clutch packs were producing this "ATF/Tranny Smell" which tell me my trannys is cooked!!!!

What do you do guys think about the ATF/tranny smell???? IS the Tranny Gone or soon to be gone?????

I authorized the dealership to do a tranny flush tommarow and they seem to believe the car will be fixed tommarow and good to go.

I think so those clutches packs are damaged....IMO.

Please keep in mind guys I never threw a CEL or a blinking D. Plus the car still moves with some slippage from point @ to point B.

updates on the horizon.

P.S. I want a new Tranny, thats what i am going to demand and fight for the next 1,900 miles

RTK
The smell could be from the leaking fluid hitting the exhaust.

How did the fluid in the trans smell on the dipstick? If you could smell it outside of the trans, it should really stink inside. Did any fluid come out of the vent on top of the trans?

Sometimes you can get lucky when an auto is run low on fluid. When it gets too low usually the clutches either grab or they don't grab. If you're lucky it wasn't slipping but rather grabbing and releasing.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Racer

the burnt ATF smell came from the following areas: everywhere ( dipstick, under the hood, outside of the car )

IHC, when you say "lucky" do you mean my oringal tranny may be able to salvaged if I Acura wont replace my tranny? or is it a ticking time bomb?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
i believe 4th gear sensor ends in "001" and 3rd is "002" as for part numbers.

I got an update which sounds fishy coming from the dealer. They told me over the phone that my 3rd gear pressure switch was leaking and my ATF was low thus causing my tranny to slip.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The warranty on an 06 is 6 years/70k. My 06 has just under 36k so I won't come close but I know 100% my warranty is up in Feb. '12
Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Racer

Update

well I got TL back after 4 days. The dealer wasnt going to replace the trannsmission, mostly because it is driving great right now, after a tranny flush and new Z1. I prob not going to add Redline ATF quite yet. On thursday April 7th is when the first bad shifts as stated in this thread. Friday april 8th is the day i drove around with the transmission progressly slipping throughout the day and sparking this issue. Saturday April 9th is the day the dealer got my car. So basically I drove my TL low on tranny fluid for around 2 days. During that time frame i did baby the throttle and limit the mileage, thus limiting the damage to the clutch packs (hopefully). My have reason to believe my 3rd gear sensor came loose on it own because I know we tightened it enough. So for now Acura wins because They fixed the problem and didnt replace my tranny. I have no evidence to suggest otherwise at this point, the car is shifting smooth again.

Anyone one out there worried about changing their sensors...... DONT BE AFRAID, just talk to IHC, he preaches this shit. Just be careful when changing the sensors, make sure they are tight and even use some sort of gasket or liquid gasket or sealant to ensure no leakage. Also current TL owners should check up on their NEW sensors to ensure they are tight.

Lastly i will be doing my own evaulation over this up coming weekend, @ my mechanics garage. I keep you guys posted if any thing pops up.

I the mean time I am prob going to do an Extended Warranty with Acura. They want $1100 for 4 years / 48 k miles for a powertain warranty plus some other stuff is covered. Also they said that offer is only valid for me before i hit 70k miles otherwise They wont offer a warranty to me, but other companies will.......blah blah blah.

What do you guys think about the extended warranty??? too much $$? Better deals elsewhere??

Last edited by rkan121; 04-12-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Acura sell the extended warranty even if the factory has expired? My power train (from an outside provider) is up in July 2011 and not that I have any issues...thank god...I feel like I need the protection to stay confident in the TL for the next few years. 04 TL with 37k miles.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
May I ask why you didn't go redline racing atf when you did the 3x3?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
AZ Community Team

.... have reason to believe my 3rd gear sensor came loose on it own because I know we tightened it enough. ....

Anyone one out there worried about changing their sensors...... DONT BE AFRAID, .... Just be careful when changing the sensors, make sure they are tight and even use some sort of gasket or liquid gasket or sealant to ensure no leakage. ....

Two questions:

- Do these sensors get a washer something like the "crush" washer for the oil drain?

- If not, what about using a drop or two something like the Blue Locktite (non permanent thread locker)?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Two questions:

- Do these sensors get a washer something like the "crush" washer for the oil drain?

- If not, what about using a drop or two something like the Blue Locktite (non permanent thread locker)?
There is a washer for these sensors. I ordered new ones when I ordered the sensors.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I'm guessing OP forgot to replace the gasket (crush washer) when he installed the switch or the original gasket was caked on and he doubled it during install.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did have a very similar issue to yours. Here is the link to what happened:

http://www./forums/showthread.php?t=56800

It has been 4000 miles since that has occured and I can report no problems. I am paranoid, VERY paranoid. I have just recently started to enjoy my car a bit more and drive hard every once in a while. No slip, shudder, slow shift, or anything that would indicate any "hiccups". That does put my car at 208k miles and going good. So far...