TPMS malfunction.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
TPMS malfunction.

Today on the way to work I got a TPMS malfunction indicator. I checked the air pressure screen and all 4 tires just had dashes next to them, no psi readouts. It went away on it's own after a few minutes. I drove it to lunch with no troubles. On the way home, the same thing happened again but for only a minute or so.

I have to assume it's not an individual sensor so I'm not sure where to start looking for the potential issue.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
According to the parts diagram, there's not a lot to it - 4 sending units and 1 receiving unit.

I agree, it's not likely the sending units as you'd have 3 that work and 1 that says, "---".

That leaves the receiving unit as the next most likely thing to consider.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
The following users liked this post:
I hate cars (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
According to the parts diagram, there's not a lot to it - 4 sending units and 1 receiving unit.

I agree, it's not likely the sending units as you'd have 3 that work and 1 that says, "---".

That leaves the receiving unit as the next most likely thing to consider.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Thank you sir. Hmmm, a working TPMS or a new 6 channel amp....

It's funny how I grew up driving cars that had no TPMS and now when mine went out for 5 minutes I was scared I was going to have a flat.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Today on the way to work I got a TPMS malfunction indicator. I checked the air pressure screen and all 4 tires just had dashes next to them, no psi readouts. It went away on it's own after a few minutes. I drove it to lunch with no troubles. On the way home, the same thing happened again but for only a minute or so.

I have to assume it's not an individual sensor so I'm not sure where to start looking for the potential issue.
I seen that before its usauly a tpms sensor ,just like X-mas tree lights 1 goes down the all go down ,the way to find out is hook up your HDS & run a function test on the sensor whichever 1 fails is your bad sensor I have done a few of them in the past
Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

i have had two individual TPMS sensors go out on me before. when one TPMS sensor stops working the TPMS screen in the MID will display the dashes on all 4 corners. I dont know what your problem is but i am assuming one or more TPMS is about to go out.

the first time my TPMS sensor went out, it read 58 PSI and then went dead 10 minutes later. same thing happened the second time except it read 51 PSI.

good luck solving your problem
Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin2488
I seen that before its usauly a tpms sensor ,just like X-mas tree lights 1 goes down the all go down ,the way to find out is hook up your HDS & run a function test on the sensor whichever 1 fails is your bad sensor I have done a few of them in the past
have you had one with water or fixaflat in there? ...fun chasing it around, isnt it?

and id agree bad sensor.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Yvuru
i have had two individual TPMS sensors go out on me before. when one TPMS sensor stops working the TPMS screen in the MID will display the dashes on all 4 corners. ....

Good to know. I assumed (and I think IHC did as well) that only the failed part would not display.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Good to know. I assumed (and I think IHC did as well) that only the failed part would not display.
took me awhile to figure out what my problem was. i bought the car certified pre owned with 19K miles on it and the previous owner curb rashed the shit outta the rims/tires. there was a small hole in one of the tires that leaked air out at the rate of 1 PSI a week according to my TPMS.

the problem with the TPMS being broken was that when it rained water would slowly get inside the tire on the inside and fuck up the TPMS (short circuit). this took about 6 months of driving for the TPMS to short out. but it shorted out twice and it was covered twice under warranty and both times there was water in the TPMS area. i did not tell the Acura dealership about my hole in my tire problem since I got my car from them with a hole in my tire. so i decided to put acura's warranty system to good use and visited multiple acura dealerships to get my TPMS fixed for free. working the system is fun.

since then I have taken excellent care for my car and only buy the best stuff. recently got an amsoil power steering and brake fluid change/swap.

good luck op
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
i have a 08 tl i bought used with a salvage title.

my TPMS has been out for the past 3-4 months and i was wondering what's the best way for me to get it fixed?

how much would the dealer charge?
i see people sometimes selling 4 TPMS for tires for ~$75-100. am i better buying off that, and than bringing it to the dealer to install?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

Exactly. Thanks guys for all the help. Time to scan it and see which one is going bad. It hasn't done it again since I last posted but I haven't driven it more than two miles at a time.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this form still alive? If so.. i just bought an 07 TL and am having the tpms indicator pop up on screen. It did it on the test drive, the salesman said, "they probably didnt reset it when we put new tires on" he verbally told me they would correct it when i come back for my detailing, however we all know how far verbal agreements go with dealerships.. anyways, im curious, is there a "reset" for it? Im going there on saturday to get them to detail it and replace my cracked windshield and will make a hassle of the tpms, anything i might be able to do in the meantime?