Torque Steer worsens after big bump

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Torque Steer worsens after big bump

Hi, i caught a bad, bad bump on the left (passenger) side front, had to replace the tire, and now I am noticing the torque steer got really, really bad in 1st and 2nd gear and somewhat bad in 3rd and beyond. I also have a vibration at 75+ MPH with the new tire (from a reputable shop), and the the odd thing is the vibration was really bad at first, but it seems to have lessened as I drive it more. I am fairly positive it isn't the tire balancing, but could confirm, because sometimes around 80mph, it is smooth.

This is an '06 TL 6-speed MT with about 102K on the clock.
I don't beat on the vehicle often.

Did I screw something up in the front end to cause the vibration and worsening of the torque steer?

One last data item. I am in new england and it is cold now, around 15F or so. When I turn to the left, I hear a clicking sound, but only when it is cold. I was thinking "half-shaft". Note: this was occurring before I hit the bad bump, but maybe the hit f_ed it up some more?

suggestions?
thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
I had a similar experience when I first bought my TL. Hit a big f'ing pot hole on the Interstate which bubbled the front passenger tire. Got the tire replaced and dealer called it good. The car drove straight, but was very twitchy on the highway under power. Took it back and they found the alignment was way out of wack. Took it out for a drive and it had a bad vibration above 55mph. Bent rim...

Last edited by Jackass; 02-26-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by jc-tl
Hi, i caught a bad, bad bump on the left (passenger) side front, had to replace the tire, and now I am noticing the torque steer got really, really bad in 1st and 2nd gear and somewhat bad in 3rd and beyond. I also have a vibration at 75+ MPH with the new tire (from a reputable shop), and the the odd thing is the vibration was really bad at first, but it seems to have lessened as I drive it more. I am fairly positive it isn't the tire balancing, but could confirm, because sometimes around 80mph, it is smooth.

This is an '06 TL 6-speed MT with about 102K on the clock.
I don't beat on the vehicle often.

Did I screw something up in the front end to cause the vibration and worsening of the torque steer?

One last data item. I am in new england and it is cold now, around 15F or so. When I turn to the left, I hear a clicking sound, but only when it is cold. I was thinking "half-shaft". Note: this was occurring before I hit the bad bump, but maybe the hit f_ed it up some more?

suggestions?
thanks
1) New tire is grippier than the old one: more torque steer because more grip.

2) Even a little bit of ice on the wheel can cause a rotational unbalance. Are you sure there wasn't any ice on it?

3) +1 on bent rim. You might be able to confirm this by switching it with one of the other wheels, on the rear.

4) Cold sharp turn clicking is probably shaft. I've experienced it too and have read a few threads with this diagnosis. I'm replacing mine this summer.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
1) New tire is grippier than the old one: more torque steer because more grip.

2) Even a little bit of ice on the wheel can cause a rotational unbalance. Are you sure there wasn't any ice on it?

3) +1 on bent rim. You might be able to confirm this by switching it with one of the other wheels, on the rear.

4) Cold sharp turn clicking is probably shaft. I've experienced it too and have read a few threads with this diagnosis. I'm replacing mine this summer.
1: OK, that makes sense.

2: No, not 100% sure, but can check. It seems to be better, which would support the "temporary matter on wheel" theory

3: Had the front-end aligned this morning, it was off. Also asked them to check the rim, they said it was good, not bent.

4: Yeah, i'll have to do the same when it warms up.

thanks for the replies guys.
I haven't taken it on the highway post alignment, will do so tonight on the way from the grind.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
You can't inspect a bent rim just by looking at it. They have to place it on the balancer to spin it and check for runout.

Alternatively you can do this at home by placing the car on jack stands and put the car in drive. Then watch your wheel as it spins if there's any tiny wobbles in the wheel. It could be tricky to see so look carefully. And also don't forget to check the inside barrel of the wheel, not just outside.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
The clicking is most likely the driveshaft, possibly alignment could be out of spec.