Tl Rolled In Driveway??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tl Rolled In Driveway??

I HAVE A 07 TL. I HAD A STRANGE THING HAPPEN TO ME. I PARKED MY TL IN MY DRIVEWAY BEHIND MY OTHER CAR AROUND MIDNIGHT. I PUT THE CAR IN PARK, PULLED UP THE EMERGENCY BRAKE, AND ALARMED IT. I ALSO HAVE LO-JACK.

MY DRIVEWAY FITS 4 CARS ON FLAT SURFACE AND THEN THERE IS AN INCLINE AFTER THAT. WHEN I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING MY TL WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF MY DRIVEWAY. THE INCLINE IS A LITTLE BIT AFTER WHERE I PARK.

WHEN I FOUND MY TL AT THE BOTTOM OF MY DRIVEWAY ON THE INCLINE, THE ALARM WAS STILL ON, EMERGENCY BRAKE STILL ON . IT MOVED FROM WHERE I PARKED IT TO THE VERY END OF MY DRIVEWAY, AND STOPPED RIGHT BEFORE THE ROAD! I AM NOT SURE IF SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL IT BY TOWING IT, OR IF TL'S ARE KNOWN TO ROLL WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON??

I AM DISTURBED BY THIS AND NOT SURE WHAT TO MAKE OF IT. HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE???
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
put the park brake ON
Try to drive away in reverse or 2nd, does the car move, or does it act like the brake is really on.
The parking brakes are a mini set of old school drum brakes inside the center of the rear brake rotor. not much of a system but should be holding in this example
If it moves on your test- go to the dealer. The cable could have snapped or come off and the brakes are not really on when you think so.

Leave the car in 1st gear when parked - in this situation- so it wont roll backwards.
assuming you have a manual 6speed transmission
autos should be parked in park~
Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Cruisin'

It Remained In Park, It Never Left Park .
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WTF?? That's really strange especially because it is an auto. I doubt it rolled. Towing is a possibility. Do you owe anyone money?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
he has an auto... my best guess is you came home tired... heheheh because how else would it roll back if the car is in park... and you had the e-brake up? sound real strange... I'd take it to the dealer asap...

ps. your car is haunted rofl... no but seriously have the dealer checkout everything

edit: you can't tow a fwd car by lifting the rear if it is in park, you'd have to lift it from the front and either drag the rear wheels onto a flat bed or disconnect the ebrake from underneath...
Old 06-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Cruisin'

NO, NOT AT ALL... THE CAR IS PAID OFF.. IT HAS BEEN BOTHERING ME A LOT. IF SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL IT, WOULDNT THE ALARM AND MY LO JACK GO OFF?? I AM SO CONFUSED
Old 06-06-2008, 01:49 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by AcuragirlBlue07
NO, NOT AT ALL... THE CAR IS PAID OFF.. IT HAS BEEN BOTHERING ME A LOT. IF SOMEONE TRIED TO STEAL IT, WOULDNT THE ALARM AND MY LO JACK GO OFF?? I AM SO CONFUSED
well the lojack early warning system will go off when the car is moved to a certain distance away from the little black keyfob... I've tested it, it has to be over 50feet for a couple minutes...
Old 06-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
WTF?? That's really strange especially because it is an auto. I doubt it rolled. Towing is a possibility. Do you owe anyone money?

Old 06-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by stillhere153
he has an auto... my best guess is you came home tired... heheheh because how else would it roll back if the car is in park... and you had the e-brake up? sound real strange... I'd take it to the dealer asap...

ps. your car is haunted rofl... no but seriously have the dealer checkout everything

edit: you can't tow a fwd car by lifting the rear if it is in park, you'd have to lift it from the front and either drag the rear wheels onto a flat bed or disconnect the ebrake from underneath...

LOL, I WASNT TIRED AT ALL.. LOL.. I SAT IN THE CAR FOR ABOUT A HALF HOUR CHATTING ON MY CELL PHONE BEFORE I GOT OUT. I WAS WIDE AWAKE :-)
Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

just strange, cuz if you would've left it in N, you wouldn't be able to take the key out
Old 06-06-2008, 02:31 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

No, the factory alarm only goes off if the door is opened without disarming it. As for the lo-jack that is just a locating device for recovering it if it is stolen. You can get your alarm upgraded to add a shock sensor, then it would go off if it is tampered with...
Old 06-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Instructor

LOL, I WASNT TIRED AT ALL.. LOL.. I SAT IN THE CAR FOR ABOUT A HALF HOUR CHATTING ON MY CELL PHONE BEFORE I GOT OUT. I WAS WIDE AWAKE :-)
whats with the caps?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
No, the factory alarm only goes off if the door is opened without disarming it. As for the lo-jack that is just a locating device for recovering it if it is stolen. You can get your alarm upgraded to add a shock sensor, then it would go off if it is tampered with...
acura installs a first alert system which when registered on lojack's website correctly sends a few notifications... A) Phone call to mobile number, B) home phone number, C) text message to mobile number, D) Email

AND IT KEEPS ON CALLING TILL YOU PICKUP
Old 06-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Cruisin'

acura installs a first alert system which when registered on lojack's website correctly sends a few notifications... A) Phone call to mobile number, B) home phone number, C) text message to mobile number, D) Email

AND IT KEEPS ON CALLING TILL YOU PICKUP
YES I HAVE THAT! ONCE BEFORE MY LO JACK FOR SOME REASON WENT OFF AND I GOT PHONE CALLS, EMAILS, TEXTS ON MY CELL ETC..
Old 06-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by waynema
whats with the caps?
SORRY, I USE THE CAPS TO MAKE IT EASIER TO READ. ITS A BAD HABIT, SORRY
Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's completely unordinary. Does lojack really go off if the car is out of range of 50 feet from the remote? What happens if you take the remote with you somewhere and the car is parked at home?

For your car to do that is really strange. Maybe there is something wrong with your transmission? Just throwing that out there...not a car expert but it's an idea. I would go back to the dealer asap. Maybe something is wrong with your brakes?

Again, these are just ideas, I'm no car expert here.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uh...someone re-park it as a joke? i probably would have...haha
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by erick3
uh...someone re-park it as a joke? i probably would have...haha

NO, IT WASNT REPARKED AS A JOKE, I WISH THOUGH
Old 06-06-2008, 04:22 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by aSPECtL06
That's completely unordinary. Does lojack really go off if the car is out of range of 50 feet from the remote? What happens if you take the remote with you somewhere and the car is parked at home?

NO NO NO dude...

The LoJack Early Warning Recovery System provides an added layer of protection for your car. The LoJack Early Warning Recovery System notifies you directly if your car is moved without your authorization. LoJack will alert you by phone, e-mail and/or pager so you can quickly check on the status of your vehicle. If a theft has occurred, the LoJack Early Warning Recovery System enables the police to track and recover your vehicle even sooner.

Get alerts at work, at home or on the road
Choose up to five methods of contact, including phone, e-mail and text message

it will sendout the notifications to ur five methods if the car is moved without the little circle shaped keyfob being within 50 foot range
Old 06-06-2008, 04:31 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

this is what the little transmitter looks like

but I digress... the car is haunted I tells yah haunted..

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

SORRY, I USE THE CAPS TO MAKE IT EASIER TO READ. ITS A BAD HABIT, SORRY
Using CAPS makes it HARDER to read, not easier.

Using caps on the internet is equivalent to SHOUTING at your audience.

Are you certain that you weren't simply distracted by the phone call when you parked your car. I've seen it a number of times. Guy pulls into a parking slot only partially then chats and chats eventually getting out of the car and leaving it parked oddly (to the outside world) but since the guy is still on the phone, he has NO IDEA that he didn't park it right. Sounds like your issue as well. Chalk it up to cellphone abuse.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there is a great device that shops and thieves use to move cars
Its a small wheeled dolly that slips around the wheel and jacks the car up slighly- you can roll anything you want ... right down the street.

There must be a reason you pay for lojack on that car right? stolen a lot?
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Its a small wheeled dolly that slips around the wheel and jacks the car up slighly- you can roll anything you want ... right down the street.
thats what i was gonna say. i've seen tow truck guys use those so they can like.. do their work..

took away 2 cars in less than 10 minutes infront of my work..

Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
by any chance, did someone else drive it and park it? Or did someone move it to pull their car out? I doubt that it would just slide down by itself....BUT maybe the driveway was wet, the tires are bald and the car just slid since it had no grip. That's my random guesses.... also the Rear Brakes are good enough to hold the car on an incline when not in park. To test your handbrake, pull it 15 clicks up, put it in neutral and see if it moves. If it does not, it's good, but if it does, you need to have it readjusted.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had my car on a hill, put the car in N and then the parking brake up, it started slidding down the hill with the rear wheel locked. I was like whaaaaaaaaaaat? So I moved up the hill where the grade wasn't as large, did the same thing then put it in park.

But FYI a car will slide down a hill even with the parking brake engaged. The TL is too heavy and the parking brake is too weak.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

There must be a reason you pay for lojack on that car right? stolen a lot?
oh yea forgot about those blasted contraptions... they roll the car out of a parallel parked spot and on to a flat bed in seconds
Old 06-07-2008, 07:40 AM
B16 Swapped TL

Your parking brake may need adjusting. I had to do this for a few of my Stick shift vehicles as they aged.... my last being a 2001 Camaro SS.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These parking brakes kinda suck on the TL

My guess someone in the house moved it or borrowed it
Old 06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

oh yea forgot about those blasted contraptions... they roll the car out of a parallel parked spot and on to a flat bed in seconds
I used to tow. The ones we had were called "Go-Jacks". We also had plastic "skis" that we could slide under the tires so they would slide on them while being dragged by a winch onto the flatbed. AHHHH the fun toys of towing...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Sleepwalking, hitting the sauce too hard, someone jerking your chain, amnesia/memory blackout, transporter malfunction, strong neighborhoods kids, intermittent psychosis, jerking OUR chain (your first post), etc... Many possible explanations, but probably not a problem with the car.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
what happens if you accidentally drive with parking break on? will it break after you go certain distance?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit
what happens if you accidentally drive with parking break on? will it break after you go certain distance?

You will heard a pretty audible BEEP BEEP BEEP.... and on your MID it will Say something to the sort of "Release Parking Brake"

If you DO drive with it set even after all that, I would Test and make sure the parking brake still works. Those brake pads are not designed to take alot of abuse
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Ev an' Tec

Question

Originally Posted by Eoanou
I had my car on a hill, put the car in N and then the parking brake up, it started slidding down the hill with the rear wheel locked. I was like whaaaaaaaaaaat? So I moved up the hill where the grade wasn't as large, did the same thing then put it in park.

But FYI a car will slide down a hill even with the parking brake engaged. The TL is too heavy and the parking brake is too weak.
If you pull the parking brake gently, it might not hold as well as when you pull it and it squeaks. On a slight hill, that could make the difference between rolling or not in Neutral. But in Park, hopefully it will hold.

At any rate, I'd suggest checking the brake adjustment.

That and looking into who else had access to the OP's keys (or the other set that comes with the car).
Old 08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

wow..my house has a single drive way thats a hill...i got the mt 04 TL (sweet) and i noticed my ebrake was let'n my car slide down so i had to park it on first gear w/e-brake i had to take it too the dealer to get it fix..i was told the lines get weak or something
Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You sure you didnt take some xanax and got real fucked up the night befor????
Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

I'm not kidding, this just happened to me last night. I'm borrowing my friend's 05 TL for the week, and I parked it in my apartment complex's visitors lot. 100% sure I put it in park and locked the car, but did not put e-brake on (100% sure because it's a car I'm not used to, so I don't do things automatically, I paid close attention to what I was doing). I woke up in the morning and checked it outside my window because I know I'd be murdered if anything happened to his car, and it was like 20 feet behind where I parked it. THANK GOD I happened to park it in a spot that had 20 feet of empty space behind it, who knows how quickly it went backwards and what would have happened. I had just woken up, it was really surreal, I felt like I was dreaming and it was like WTF?!? I checked everything- it was locked, it was in park, no one else has a key except the key that was in my bedroom and I'm a light sleeper so it's not like someone took the key and moved it. I also before I moved the car tried pushing it from the front, and I pushed with all my weight and it didn't budge. No clue what happened. I called my friend first thing and he mentioned he wasn't worried since nothing happened to it, and he had remembered reading this post so he knew about it. Don't worry AcuraGirlBlue07, you're not the only crazy one.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Please help!

Originally Posted by knivehacker
I'm not kidding, this just happened to me last night. I'm borrowing my friend's 05 TL for the week, and I parked it in my apartment complex's visitors lot. 100% sure I put it in park and locked the car, but did not put e-brake on (100% sure because it's a car I'm not used to, so I don't do things automatically, I paid close attention to what I was doing). I woke up in the morning and checked it outside my window because I know I'd be murdered if anything happened to his car, and it was like 20 feet behind where I parked it. THANK GOD I happened to park it in a spot that had 20 feet of empty space behind it, who knows how quickly it went backwards and what would have happened. I had just woken up, it was really surreal, I felt like I was dreaming and it was like WTF?!? I checked everything- it was locked, it was in park, no one else has a key except the key that was in my bedroom and I'm a light sleeper so it's not like someone took the key and moved it. I also before I moved the car tried pushing it from the front, and I pushed with all my weight and it didn't budge. No clue what happened. I called my friend first thing and he mentioned he wasn't worried since nothing happened to it, and he had remembered reading this post so he knew about it. Don't worry AcuraGirlBlue07, you're not the only crazy one.
Thats my car he's talking about. I park in that same parking spot he mentioned all the time, but i always back into the spot. its slightly inclined in the way so backing it in would make it wanna roll forward. he parked it nose-in, so it rolled backwards while in park.

The incline is very shallow.... if you put a baseball on the ground, it might not even roll because of the texture of the pavement, thats how shallow it is.

I never pull the ebrake when i park it, just use Park (unless i feel its extra steep). It had to have been in park too, cause then the key wouldnt have come out of the ignition. No one else has keys to the car. And its obvious it rolled cause it ended up in the middle of the parking lot, not in any space.

I'll bring it to the dealer, but I expect the guys there to just laugh at me and tell me to go away (at least theyre reliable at something - being unhelpful). Its an 05 base TL automatic, just over 50k miles, no previous issues other than all those damn rattles. Its just out of its base warranty, but its certified so it has its 1yr/12k certified warranty as well as the powertrain still.

Even if the dealer tells me they fixed it, i wouldnt trust them. Is there anything i should test or check or expect to be checked by the dealer (i.e transmission)? Please offer any help or ideas you guys might have.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
yikes!

the parking spot at my apt complex is on a slight incline and behind me is a beemer, that would suck! i always make sure it is in park (auto) and always use the e-brake. hasn't happened to me yet
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
you guys might want want to have the tires checked out...
Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Not possible to move...

With the car in PARK, the parking prawl enters the cavity on the drum and locks the series together. The transmission cannot be rotated in this form so your car did not move by itself.

Even of the parking prawl broke or did not engage the e-brake is strong enough to hold the car from rolling backwards. You can over power the
e-brake if you drive in reverse under power.

One of two things most likely occured...somebody other than you moved the car. The other things is you were drunk or busy in thought and your car is exactly where it was when you left it. Don't get mad...these things happen.

Best thing to try is marking the ground where the center of the bottom of the tire is with a paint marker and seeing if it moves again.

If it does move all by itself (nobody towed it or moved it) I will buy you diner and a drink.

A-Train

Quick Reply: Tl Rolled In Driveway??