TL couldn't start today!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL couldn't start today!!

here in NYC we has our first real cold nights. Today my car wouldn't start. I can hear the engine trying to start, like normal, but it just won't start. i don't think its the battery neither. i didn't get to call Acura cuz i had to go to work right away, i used my girl's WRX to work.

just wanted to know how many people have had this problem and what is the usual cause????

could it be cuz of the weather? my girls WRX had this same problem too durin fall season and her car was brand new also. it just stopped happening to her car with no explanation. mine is an 05 TL with 12000 miles on it. service B display just went on also. need help guys, didn't expect engine problems from a TL.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

could be the battery. My neigbors Accord wouldnt start(old model), and it seemed to be cranking hard, sure enough with jumper cables and lit right up.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Could be that your navi has been draining the battery. There was a recall for it. I got the recall notice for it in the mail. However, I will wait until I have the problem before getting it fixed because I don't like taking my cars to the dealership unless I absolutely have to.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

were you low on gas and parked at an incline? this happened to my wifes RSX one morning when she parked the car on our driveway with very little gas left in the tank. i just had to roll the car down the driveway and the car started.

good luck!!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Could be that your navi has been draining the battery. There was a recall for it. I got the recall notice for it in the mail. However, I will wait until I have the problem before getting it fixed because I don't like taking my cars to the dealership unless I absolutely have to.

NAVI drain battery? i haven't heard about that. wouldn't the navi screen be on then?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 3PUTT
were you low on gas and parked at an incline? this happened to my wifes RSX one morning when she parked the car on our driveway with very little gas left in the tank. i just had to roll the car down the driveway and the car started.

good luck!!

na my gas if at half and not on an incline.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Racer

just started my car again today. and it started with a slight hesistation. but now its turning off and on ok, but its only been one day. gonna bring it to dealer tomorrow
\
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulacura
NAVI drain battery? i haven't heard about that. wouldn't the navi screen be on then?
Acura issued a Service Bulletin (number 05-129) for some 2005 TLs for a problem related to intermittent dead battery due to battery drain after vehicle has been shut off. According to the bulletin, the drain is caused by "An Internal Panel Module BCAN communication error" that can cause the nav display unit to continue drawing power even after shut off. The result can be an intermittent dead or weak battery. The dealer fix is to "Install a subcontrol unit and harness (delay box assembly)" onto the back of the nav display unit. Although their Service Bulletin listed a specific range of VIN#s that supposedly needed this fix, my 2005 TL was not within that range (it was manufactured later) but stil required this fix.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Car Addict

I have a 6MT TL, and the battery was dead today. We did hit like 7F yesterday. I have a portable jumper pack, which was almost dead too, but it jumped the car okay. But now my radio is locked. I had my NAVI replaced earlier this year since it was messed up. I will talk to the dealer at some point, I'll see how the battery does this week.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

Same here

The same thing happened to me. It was about 38 degress out (according to the TL temp gauge), and my car wouldnt start. I attempted to about 5 times, but no luck. I finally gave it about 10 minutes rest, then went back out and tried again. This time, it sounded a little better, so i gave it some gas while turning the ignition, and it started up. Very wierd. Not sure if it was b/c of the cold temp, but it shouldn't be, I dunno. What did the dealer say bulacura?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Instructor

my car battery dies all the time now. i only have 5000 miles on it and i have to jump it daily. it is completely dead but a jump gets it goin right away. btw im opn my second battery.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Well we it minus 10 Deg F 2 days ago and the TL started fine.

There is one thing with fuel injected cars that needs to be pointed out;

Maybe you already know this, if not here it is

When it is very cold outside

1-Turn the key to the On position without engaging the starter.

Wait 4 to 6 seconds with the key in the on position.

Then engage the starter.

By doing this, you are giving ample time for the gas pump to inject extra gas to facilitate starting (Fuel Injection's way of simulating a Choke on a carburator equipped engine).

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flexte
my car battery dies all the time now. i only have 5000 miles on it and i have to jump it daily. it is completely dead but a jump gets it goin right away. btw im opn my second battery.
Do you have any extra accessories installed or modifications to the electrical system? (Alarm, remote start, modified audio system).

2 batteries in 5,000 miles is not usual, there is something that is draining your battery. The dealer should be able to check this by connecting an Ampmeter to your battery (Between one of the battery post and the wire terminal connected to that post).

Have it checked by the dealer.

Best regards

Frenchnew
Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 AM
4th Gear

Same problem

I have non-navi and had the dead battery problem. I took it in and they replaced the battery (was dead), and performed recall - replaced fuse box. Now, my channel and volume controls don't light up on my steering wheel. I called and they told me the parts dept. screwed up, and they replaced w/ part made for TLs w/ Navi. I have to go back Wed. As it takes me over an hour to get to my Acura dealer, I'm going to push for a free oil change and possible file a complaint with the BBB depending on the service I receive.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rthess
I have non-navi and had the dead battery problem. I took it in and they replaced the battery (was dead), and performed recall - replaced fuse box. Now, my channel and volume controls don't light up on my steering wheel. I called and they told me the parts dept. screwed up, and they replaced w/ part made for TLs w/ Navi. I have to go back Wed. As it takes me over an hour to get to my Acura dealer, I'm going to push for a free oil change and possible file a complaint with the BBB depending on the service I receive.
I think you are upset now and need to consider a different approach. In a firm but polite tone of voice, let them know the inconvenience this is causing you and that you would like a free oil change for the trouble and a loaner while they perform the work.
A mistake was made in using the wrong fuse box (Navi vs. Non-Navi). This is hardly a BBB issue unless you have records of mistakes consistently made by this dealership's service department.

Even with a history of mistakes, I would approach the GM of the dealership and I would present my records to see why this continues to happen. If that did not produce the correct results, I would contact Acura Customer Service. The BBB would be my last option if the other two actions listed above did not correct the situation.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Instructor

i have a remote start and nav dvd hooked up to my car. my dealer thought it was that but after talking to both installers they said they wanted to keep my car for a few days to run more tests. this is my second 05 tl. i had the same things installed in my last car with no problem. i hope i can get 31,000 for my car because il selling it as soon as i get it back.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Racer

the problem could be bad gas if your not putting in the highest octane available to you. Sometimes you just get bad gas and it is hard for the car to start.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
my car is less than 2 months old and i have had some rough startups where its JUST manages to start up

its pretty cold up here in toronto - but ive never had this problem with my previous gen civic or 2g TL

man, honda is really letting up - ive started to notice soem rattles from the driver A-pillar too