TL 3rd gear synchro p/n "RDE" vs. "PYZ"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL 3rd gear synchro p/n "RDE" vs. "PYZ"

I'm about to order parts to rebuild my 2004 TL 6 spd manual trans.

TSB 08-018 specifies 23444-RDE-325 as the p/n for 3rd gear synchro.

However when I look 2004 TL in online parts catalogs it shows 23444-PYZ-326 for the 3rd gear synchro.

What's the difference between the two 3rd gear syncho p/n's?
There's a $110 difference in cost.

I found one catalog that lists both.
I called a local dealer. They were clueless when I asked them the difference.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:56 AM
7th Gear

Anybody have an idea? I called the local dealer. The parts guys there didn't have a clue, his words were, "you know more than me bo".
Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Demon Speed
TSB 08-018 specifies 23444-RDE-325 as the p/n for 3rd gear synchro.
This is the 'gear set' you need to order and install.

However when I look 2004 TL in online parts catalogs it shows 23444-PYZ-326 for the 3rd gear synchro.
These are the two I found with a quick online search:

GEAR SET, MAINSHAFT THIRD | Genuine Acura | 23444-RDE-325

2008 Acura TL GEAR SET, MAINSHAFT THIRD - (23444-RDE-325) - Acura Parts Online

What's the difference between the two 3rd gear syncho p/n's?
There's a $110 difference in cost.
My best guess is that 23444-PYZ-326 is an old assigned P/N that has NOT been updated in various parts systems.

Never the less, it is P/N 23444-RDE-325 that you WANT despite any cost difference you may find when doing a repair such as this, as stipulated in TSB08-018.

P.S. while in the transmission, it may be prudent to replace #7 & 8 on the link below:

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:23 PM
7th Gear

Zeta
Any reason to replace the diff carrier bearings (item 7 and 8) other than general wear/tear or "while you're in there?"
Old 04-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I have read that they 'tend to wear'. Moreover, for $27.50 each and while one has gone to the expense/hassle of removing the tranny and cracking it open it is a small investment, especially if you have over 100K miles on the unit and plan on keeping the car. .

I'm going to have my tranny 'checked over' on my CLS-6 while it is 'out' to have the rear main seal repaired and new LUK clutch and flywheel installed. It currently is approaching 150K miles.

Just an FYI, If you decide to replace the said diff. carrier bearings, it may take a week to get them from Honda, because I was told that they are a 'special order' item. It took an additional 5 days to get mine. YMMV

Furthermore, if you order any Acura replacement parts, in this case for the tranny, make sure to cross reference them to Honda, many times you can save substantially if you get them from a Honda online parts supplier.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 PM
7th Gear

Good info. Yea I've been cross referencing the parts quite a bit to Honda.

I agree it's a good idea to replace the bearings but most likely shims will be required if replacing the bearings. That's going to be a real PITA. Oh well do it once and do it right.

Originally Posted by zeta
I have read that they 'tend to wear'. Moreover, for $27.50 each and while one has gone to the expense/hassle of removing the tranny and cracking it open it is a small investment, especially if you have over 100K miles on the unit and plan on keeping the car. .

I'm going to have my tranny 'checked over' on my CLS-6 while it is 'out' to have the rear main seal repaired and new LUK clutch and flywheel installed. It currently is approaching 150K miles.

Just an FYI, If you decide to replace the said diff. carrier bearings, it may take a week to get them from Honda, because I was told that they are a 'special order' item. It took an additional 5 days to get mine. YMMV

Furthermore, if you order any Acura replacement parts, in this case for the tranny, make sure to cross reference them to Honda, many times you can save substantially if you get them from a Honda online parts supplier.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree it's a good idea to replace the bearings but most likely shims will be required if replacing the bearings. That's going to be a real PITA. Oh well do it once and do it right.
Indeed. From reading the Helms, in regards to disassembling/reassembling this 6-speed transmission, your TL-6 is the same as the CLS-6, except for the 'change lever' (#3 on the TL/CL links below), and the placement/inclusion of a crank position sensor on the CL6. TL has none.

Therefore, after one decides on 'What' to replace, the process of correctly reassembling is paramount in coming out with a reliable/successful end result. Very complicated, for a layman like myself, in getting the detail correct.

Especially in regards to mainshaft/countershaft 'shimming', such as your case of replacing the 3rd gear set and 'Preload adjustments' for potential diff. bearing replacement.

That's why the next step, speaking for myself of course , after mustering the necessary parts, is finding someone whom is familiar with these rebuilds and pulling the trigger, hehe.