TL '04 AT sport shifting on its own?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
B A N N E D

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
TL '04 AT sport shifting on its own?!?

I have an AT 04 TL, and I am having the problem that when driving in the sport shift mode, it is shifting from 3rd to 4th and 5th on it's own. Has anyone else encountered this problem, if so, how did you solve it? Look forward to your responce!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricky Pounds
I have an AT 04 TL, and I am having the problem that when driving in the sport shift mode, it is shifting from 3rd to 4th and 5th on it's own. Has anyone else encountered this problem, if so, how did you solve it? Look forward to your responce!
If you run the car over 3500 rpm's for more than five seconds in sport mode the tranny will automaticly shift in order to protect the engine it doesn't matter what gear you're on it will shift itself for engine protection
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by jr-type-R
If you run the car over 3500 rpm's for more than five seconds in sport mode the tranny will automaticly shift in order to protect the engine it doesn't matter what gear you're on it will shift itself for engine protection
Appreciate the info! I did not know this was a protection feature of the car.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Check the tranny failures on the second gen tl. Thats the main reason why the 3 gen tl tranny has a lot of safety features.But do note that some 04 and 05 tl's are having tranny problems after 90,000 miles so i recommend you change the tranny oil every time you change your engine oil good luck!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 PM
B A N N E D

Check the tranny failures on the second gen tl. Thats the main reason why the 3 gen tl tranny has a lot of safety features.But do note that some 04 and 05 tl's are having tranny problems after 90,000 miles so i recommend you change the tranny oil every time you change your engine oil good luck!!!!
Sounds like good advice!! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 PM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
my 05 doesn't shift by itself after 1st gear ...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KidChenz89
my 05 doesn't shift by itself after 1st gear ...
Mine shifts to 2nd by it self. The rest it makes me do.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Hmmmm. I've never heard that. I don't think my '07 does that (not positive though); might have to try it.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I wish this were true kind of. But I've done track days where rpms never drop below 3,500rpm for minutes on end. When the car was new I accidentally left in in sport shift second gear with the stereo up and drove down the freeway for a couple minutes with rpms above 5,700.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

I know I answered this in PM but it's most likely an electrical issue which any competent dealer could troubleshoot in minutes with a scanner and simple voltmeter.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Appreciate the info! I did not know this was a protection feature of the car.
you kidding me....

the car automatically downshifts...if your slowing down...below 38mph and it will go from 5th to 4th....19mph...from 4th to 3rd....and less than 5mph from 3rd to 1st....

the only automatic upshift is from 1st to 2nd....

i drive the car in SS mode all day everyday for the past 3 years and 70K miles....yes i know my shit....
Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by swoosh
you kidding me....

the car automatically downshifts...if your slowing down...below 38mph and it will go from 5th to 4th....19mph...from 4th to 3rd....and less than 5mph from 3rd to 1st....

the only automatic upshift is from 1st to 2nd....

i drive the car in SS mode all day everyday for the past 3 years and 70K miles....yes i know my shit....
UHHHHH... you definitely know yourrrrrrrrr shit?? Obviously you did not read correctly!! I am having the problem from 3rd to 4th to 5th! I know it down shifts on it's own, I am talking upshifting!! Thanks for your shit!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 PM

that post was meant for jr-type-r who said car automatically shifts up after being @3500 + rpm for 5 sec....quoted you by mistake....

you are getting agitated for no reason....e-thug-in doesnt help when you NEED help...GL...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
B A N N E D

that post was meant for jr-type-r who said car automatically shifts up after being @3500 + rpm for 5 sec....quoted you by mistake....

you are getting agitated for no reason....e-thug-in doesnt help when you NEED help...GL...
Not agitaded, I live in a world of peace!! You have to understand, as you well aknowledge, you quoted me! No offense meant nor taken...after you latest message! Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
UHHHHH... you definitely know yourrrrrrrrr shit?? Obviously you did not read correctly!! I am having the problem from 3rd to 4th to 5th! I know it down shifts on it's own, I am talking upshifting!! Thanks for your shit!

Lets play nice now....

OP, it sounds like an issue with the electronics for your transmission not realizing that you are in SS. Have you spilled any coffee or anything in the area by the shifter? I'd be willing to bet that there is some sort of corrosion or something on the contacts that isn't allowing the car into SS mode.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Not agitaded, I live in a world of peace!! You have to understand, as you well aknowledge, you quoted me! No offense meant nor taken...after you latest message! Thanks
well played and sorry for my early message

and it does sound like an electrical problem....

Originally Posted by csmeance
Lets play nice now....

OP, it sounds like an issue with the electronics for your transmission not realizing that you are in SS. Have you spilled any coffee or anything in the area by the shifter? I'd be willing to bet that there is some sort of corrosion or something on the contacts that isn't allowing the car into SS mode.
darn it dude....i try e-thug-in once and i get a "play it nice"...well anyway doesnt seem like am well suited to e-thug anyway....whats up
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
B A N N E D

Lets play nice now....

Now that definitely sounds very logical!! I have been asked the same question by my mechanic! I have been considering changing the shifter to a new unit! Thanks for the advice!!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM

how many miles on the car and since when is it going on ? by any chance u have warranty ?

also...does the gear show in your display when your in SS mode ? and can you shift down from 5th to 4th using the SS shifter at 60mph ?

Last edited by swoosh; 02-17-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
B A N N E D

well played and sorry for my early message

and it does sound like an electrical problem....

darn it dude....i try e-thug-in once and i get a "play it nice"...well anyway doesnt seem like am well suited to e-thug anyway....whats up
No problem! Going back to the shifter, I have considered that part very seriously!! I have received the question of spilling something or maybe a coin falling in the shifter area, and it is very possible. You have to understand my wife has used my car a few time! Ok ok, my mistake!!

Last edited by Ricky Pounds; 02-17-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
B A N N E D

how many miles on the car and since when is it going on ? by any chance u have warranty ?

also...does the gear show in your display when your in SS mode ? and can you shift down from 5th to 4th using the SS shifter at 60mph ?
Started at around 60K. My warranty has long gone west! It downshifts very well, and all the gears, up or down, show on the display!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

hear me out 04 and 05 tl's shift from first to second. 06 to 09 you have to shift 1st to second in sport mode and i have a friend from acura that owns a 05 tl and told me that the car protects itself but it actually does downshift when you're in sport mode from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 its perfectly normal if you're going slow obviously it has to downshift to a stronger gear trust me i'm not b.s and i'm not saying don't listen to the other messages there is a lot of awesome people here who can help you out like they have helped me but i'm almost 99.9% positive that your car will shift by itself in ss if its in a high rev mine does it my friends does it.I could only say its maybe the year of the car lets see if anyone else with an 04 or 05 has the same issue.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

The '04-'06 TLs will 100% for sure hold any gear but first at redline for an indefinite amount of time. The trans does not care how many rpms you're spinning. There's no need to "protect" it from extended high rpms because high rpms don't affect it. Driving too slow in too high of a gear under load would damage the trans first.

As I said, I've done track days and the TL will sit there on the revlimiter without shifting if you ask it to. And as I said, I've driven down the freeway for several minutes at nearly 6,000rpm before realizing it was in second gear.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Racer

hear me out 04 and 05 tl's shift from first to second. 06 to 09 you have to shift 1st to second in sport mode and i have a friend from acura that owns a 05 tl and told me that the car protects itself but it actually does downshift when you're in sport mode from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 its perfectly normal if you're going slow obviously it has to downshift to a stronger gear trust me i'm not b.s and i'm not saying don't listen to the other messages there is a lot of awesome people here who can help you out like they have helped me but i'm almost 99.9% positive that your car will shift by itself in ss if its in a high rev mine does it my friends does it.I could only say its maybe the year of the car lets see if anyone else with an 04 or 05 has the same issue.
I have an 06 auto TL and the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd automatically. I think you meant 07-08 you need to shift from 1st to second. 2009 acura TL is the 4th GEN. I have never had the car shift to a higher gear when driving in lower gears in SS mode. Maybe you are not in SS mode if it is actually shifting for you.

I was up in Stinson beach area this past weekend and driving on highway 1, and I was in 3rd gear the whole time.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The '04-'06 TLs will 100% for sure hold any gear but first at redline for an indefinite amount of time. The trans does not care how many rpms you're spinning. There's no need to "protect" it from extended high rpms because high rpms don't affect it. Driving too slow in too high of a gear under load would damage the trans first.

As I said, I've done track days and the TL will sit there on the revlimiter without shifting if you ask it to. And as I said, I've driven down the freeway for several minutes at nearly 6,000rpm before realizing it was in second gear.
jr-type-R, I definitely have to go with "I Hate Cars" as I would say he really understands these trannys, and csmeance's shifter spots! I have had my car since new, I am the only owner, and when new, if I did not shift, it would over rev. I have driven it over 3500 rpm in one gear for more than 30 seconds, and alway's hold until I would shift the next gear! I hate cars recommended a few test's witch should be done, and I will do! Next step is the shipter replacement if the prior test's prove not to be the problem! Still, thanks for your analogy!!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Jeez now you guys worry me i'm going to have mine cheked out since i bought mine second hand and has always shifted gears when it's on a high rpm in sport mode.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Jeez now you guys worry me i'm going to have mine cheked out since i bought mine second hand and has always shifted gears when it's on a high rpm in sport mode.
Interesting. I would be curious to see what you find. Took mine out a few days ago and sat it on 5,000rpm for about 15 seconds, no shift. I wonder why yours is different.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

This is correct and is exactly how my '07 works. As mentioned earlier, I've never had it "shift on it's own", except downshifts coming to a stop.

Well, in one other case as well - see below.

There is a Grade Logic system that will cause a shift, even in SS mode, under certain circumstances. But those are downshifts too.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Check this out guys i just came from my local acura dealer, (MISSED WORK BECAUSE OF IT) and turns out i supposingly have a bad gearbox and they said that the vehicles performance problem i mentioned (another thread that i made, Is there something wrong with my tl?) could possibly be the gearbox. They told me that the shifter is kind of loose and its not marking correctly when its on drive and also told me that on ss mode the shifter is quite wobbly and probably the tranny is holding one gear while the dash marks another.Sounds weird and they will replace it for 800 dollars plus tax . What do you guys think? Take notes Ricky this might be your same problem
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

damn thats an expensive fix....any chance of the dealership covering the costs? or any chance of a DIY ?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Nop and i'm dealing with the same bastards that only wanted to cover 50% cost of my cars cracked dash not 600 dollars but a whopping 1,000 dollars since they got to ship it here in P.R and there isn't another local customer service within 110 miles where i live so i'm screwed
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Racer

OP, it sounds like an issue with the electronics for your transmission not realizing that you are in SS. Have you spilled any coffee or anything in the area by the shifter? I'd be willing to bet that there is some sort of corrosion or something on the contacts that isn't allowing the car into SS mode.[/quote]

^^^^^ AGREE

I spilled a road pop in my shifter a few years ago.... It acts up every now and then. Unhook the battery for a few minutes and it will work fine for a while

Give it a try.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lowbudgetTL
^^^^^ AGREE

I spilled a road pop in my shifter a few years ago.... It acts up every now and then. Unhook the battery for a few minutes and it will work fine for a while

Give it a try.
[/QUOTE]

Well at least i havent spilled anything on the shifter but probably the previous owner did since i bought it secondhand i don't know but i will check i don't want to pay 800 dollars for a new shifter we'll see what happens.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Why don't you take it apart and clean all the electrical contacts with electrical contact cleaner and some cotton swabs and such.

Also tighten up the random screws that make it "wobbly" and you should be done.

Just before you do this, does the gear # show up on the dash when you switch into SS mode?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 PM

^^^ great minds think alike....i asked him that already....

he said it the gear does show up in the dash....
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Why don't you take it apart and clean all the electrical contacts with electrical contact cleaner and some cotton swabs and such.

Just before you do this, does the gear # show up on the dash when you switch into SS mode?
Yeah man it marks gears in ss mode but when the car tranny is in second gear the mechanic told me that the dash marks third gear i tried it myself and it's true i'll try cleaning every component on the shifter and i'll let you guys know what happens thanks for the tips
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Racer

SOUND ADVICE ^^^^^ I need to tackle this soon!!!