Tire Balance problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Balance problem

I've not read anything in here about problems with the balance on the TL, but mines is going to shake itself apart soon.

I replaced the tires about 3 months ago with the same tires that were on it, General Exclaim UHP's. I bought them at Kauffman tire which is a pretty good shop in the GA, FL, and AL market. Ever since they were on, I have a bad vibration in the steering wheel over 70 MPH. I've taken it back to have it re-balanced and one shop said I need a high speed balance (to match the tire high spots to the rim high spots). Not sure if they did it or not, I just assumed they would. They also said something about a rough spot on the fron left hub that is causing the wheel to not sit flush. What the hell????

I'm taking it to another Kauffman tire to get looked at again. As I said, there hasn't been a balance prob since I had these tires replaced. Anyone have any insight?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I puchased a set of Yokohama Advan S.4 245/45-17 from a fellow I've been dealing with for 20 years. Had them mounted on chromed Acura wheels and had them balance using the cone 3 different times, then had them balanced using the "fingers" in the lug holes to be certain wheel perfectly centered. Still a slight vibration over 70, front and rear.
Annoyed, so I pulled the tires/wheels and took them to a local guy that has a Hunter Road Force machine. Best $50 I've ever spent. No more vibration.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cclouis
They also said something about a rough spot on the fron left hub that is causing the wheel to not sit flush. What the hell????

I'm taking it to another Kauffman tire to get looked at again. As I said, there hasn't been a balance prob since I had these tires replaced. Anyone have any insight?
That is a crock of shit. There's no rough spot on anything. And if that were the case, it would have shook before, too. They need to fix the problem. If there's a "rough spot" then tell them to make it smooth or do what ever they need to do to get your front wheels balanced properly.

Do the wheels spin true on the balance machine? Do you see any wobble or high spots?

If you decide to take the car to another location and pay to have it done again, be sure to let the manager know this before hand and let him know that once it's fixed, you're coming back for a refund on the balancing or credit on a future purchase.

<rant>
I hate it when shops try to wash their hands of anything that strays from routine without making a single effort to ensure the customer is happy. That really grinds my gears!

</rant>
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
That is a crock of shit. There's no rough spot on anything. And if that were the case, it would have shook before, too. They need to fix the problem. If there's a "rough spot" then tell them to make it smooth or do what ever they need to do to get your front wheels balanced properly.

<rant>
I hate it when shops try to wash their hands of anything that strays from routine without making a single effort to ensure the customer is happy. That really grinds my gears!
</rant>
Totally agree with Trew...load of crap. Simply taking a wire brush to the hub face before mounting the wheel should cure any mating face irregularities. They need to make sure the tire doesn't have an "out of round" defect as well...I worked in the tire industry for a couple of years and saw this condition many times. I am assuming that the new tires are mounted on stock wheels, so there shouldn't be any eccentric problems with the center bore. Definitely do not let them get away with this...and a Road Force balance is well worth the extra money just for piece of mind
Old 09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
had the same problem until i took my car and had my tires roadforce balanced on a hunter machine and also did the alignment with a hunter aswell, I dont remember my car driving this smooth ever. maybe when i just bought it i doest even shake a little at 100mph
Old 09-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update!! I had the balance redone at another Kauffman tire. It was noticably out. It runs much better now, although there is still a tiny vibe at higher speeds. Sounds to me like the other shops machine is out of calibration.

Where can I get this roadforce balance? Anyone know of a place around Atlanta?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by cclouis
Update!! I had the balance redone at another Kauffman tire. It was noticably out. It runs much better now, although there is still a tiny vibe at higher speeds. Sounds to me like the other shops machine is out of calibration.

Where can I get this roadforce balance? Anyone know of a place around Atlanta?
Try here. http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm That's the page hunter has for you to find one of the machines near you. Lots in the Atlanta area. A few Acura dealers as well. Be prepared to pay a bit there can be lots to do if they do the whole procedure.