Timing belt installation question any Acura Techs on here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Timing belt installation question any Acura Techs on here?

I started changing my 04 Acura TL timing belt last night. I have the new belt on there and I installed it counter clockwise and the automatic tensioner is functioning as you would expect. Except that near the water pump it feel loose to me. I can grab the water pump pulley and turn it by hand. Its not floppy loose it is snug but if I press on the belt near the water pump I can probably get it to deflect by about 1/2 an inch.

I have yet to turn the motor over by hand to see if it tightens itself up any.

My question is how tight does the timing belt need to be around the water pump?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Wow!!! non of you must service your own cars. Anyway changing the timing belt and water pump was super easy it's a 4-5 hour job. I pulled it back apart and it wasn't getting any tighter. The slack that I found I assume is acceptable as mine's back together and running great!!

A tip on removing the crankshaft bolt. That sucker is in there. You either need to have a special tool to hold the crankshaft or an impact gun over 700 foot pounds.

This trick works really easy and makes short work out of removing that bolt. Get a breaker bar with a 6 point socket. Lay it on the bottom frame rail. Make sure not to hit the AC line. atatch it to the crankshaft bolt. Do NOT hold onto the bar for this next step. Have someone else bump the starter DO NOT TURN IT OVER just bump it. It will break that bolt loose first wack at it.
The following users liked this post:
LoveMyTL-S (06-21-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Many of us DO service our own cars...the 105K service is something most will leave to the professionals. A 4-5 hour job is a bit involved.

Anyway, user 04WDPSeDaN is an Acura tech on here. You'll find a lot of his posts in this section. A very helpful guy.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjTL
Many of us DO service our own cars...the 105K service is something most will leave to the professionals. A 4-5 hour job is a bit involved.

Anyway, user 04WDPSeDaN is an Acura tech on here. You'll find a lot of his posts in this section. A very helpful guy.
Acura has made it so easy it isn't much work at all. The majority of the time is spent getting the timming belt cover off because they put so many bolts in there. Other then that everything has automatic adjusters and minimal complications. It's probably one of the easiest timing belts I have over done.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree, the rear bank belt cover R & R takes a lot of time for my big old hands.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a Honda tech and doing a timing belt is not that hard at all. If you have any mechanical knowledge and a service manual, you will be fine. And I really don't suggest doing the whole use the starter to get your crank bolt out. Very dangerous! Granted I do timing belts everyday...I can bang out a V6 belt in right around 2 hours start to finish
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mixed_images
I am a Honda tech and doing a timing belt is not that hard at all. If you have any mechanical knowledge and a service manual, you will be fine. And I really don't suggest doing the whole use the starter to get your crank bolt out. Very dangerous! Granted I do timing belts everyday...I can bang out a V6 belt in right around 2 hours start to finish
Not sure how you see it as Dangerous. I've used that trick on Toyota Tacoma's as well. If your in idiot and start the car the worst that's going to happen is the bolt falls out.

It's better then spending a couple hundred bucks on some special tool or buying a 1000 foot pound impact gun. I spent about 40 min trying to get that thing out with a 650 foot pound impact gun. All of about 2 seconds tapping the starter.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
It's better then spending a couple hundred bucks on some special tool or buying a 1000 foot pound impact gun. I spent about 40 min trying to get that thing out with a 650 foot pound impact gun. All of about 2 seconds tapping the starter.
Obviously I wouldn't recommend the dealer do that. When you have the special tools USE them.

Took me 4 hours since the TL was completely foriegn to me it was the first time I popped the hood on the car. I could see someone who has done a few to get it down to 2 hours easily.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I use an acetilene torch, heat the bolt head to red, wait 30-60 seconds, heat to red a second time, let things set a minute or so, then put my 100# impact on it, zips right out, used this method 100+times, set the bolt aside & let it air cool (don't quench it). Move on with the belt change out.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnny3
I use an acetilene torch, heat the bolt head to red, wait 30-60 seconds, heat to red a second time, let things set a minute or so, then put my 100# impact on it, zips right out, used this method 100+times, set the bolt aside & let it air cool (don't quench it). Move on with the belt change out.
I'd be worried about damaging the front main seal. Whatever works for you.........I don't have a torch so never entered my mind.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just finished alot of reading on the timing belt replacement and underdrive pulley threads and have a question... Is there a list of the torque specs on here anywhere for all of the bolts in this/these procedures? I know there are in the shop manual, but I would like to avoid that expense at the moment. Are the haynes manuals easily found for our cars? That would probably answer my question!!! What about a full parts list for the 105k timing belt replacement? I do plan to do this myself and buy a UD pulley for less than I would be spending on the labor!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
Not sure how you see it as Dangerous. I've used that trick on Toyota Tacoma's as well. If your in idiot and start the car the worst that's going to happen is the bolt falls out.

A couple hundred bucks? Honda crank tool is $25 on Amazon and fits just about any Honda so it's a good long-term tool if you work on your own cars.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
A couple hundred bucks? Honda crank tool is $25 on Amazon and fits just about any Honda so it's a good long-term tool if you work on your own cars.
Didn't know that thanks Guess I'm just used to expensive Range Rover special tools