AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Tensioner Pulley? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/tensioner-pulley-978328/)

choangc 03-27-2019 07:41 PM

Tensioner Pulley?

I could really use some help. I have a 2006 Acura TL. I have a squeak coming from the belt area. I did the water bottle spray test on the belt. Spray and the sound goes away. I took a look at the pulleys and it looks like the belt is swaying on the tensioner pulley. I took that pulley off and replaced it. Put everything back together and belt is still swaying and squeak is still there. There may also be some sway on the idler pulley. The back of the belt (smooth side) also looks like it may be kinda bumpy, like friction spots or something that was sticky melted to it. My question is what should I do next? I'm trying to avoid bringing it to the shop. Should I replace the belt? or Replace the idler pulley? or replace the whole tensioner assembly? Any advice would be appreciated! I dont know what to do and i dont want to spend more money than necessary, help a girl out! Thanks in advance.

thoiboi 03-27-2019 07:55 PM

Replace the belt and the whole tensioner assembly.

be done with it

choangc 03-27-2019 07:57 PM

My other thing is it might not be worn but just misaligned, so if I go about replacing all of that and its still not aligned how can i make sure theyre all aligned...

thoiboi 03-27-2019 07:58 PM

pics?

Ossman14 03-27-2019 08:36 PM

If all the ribs line up, and the tensioner is good, I don’t see why there would be any sway. The pulley you replaced would only show wear by sound if it were bad I would imagine. But if the tensioner isn’t tensioned(? Lol) 100% The belt may have more slack to move around while marking its round when running

choangc 03-27-2019 08:39 PM

Thoiboi: Its dark outside now so ill have to get pics tomorrow.

Ossman14: So you think its the tensioner itself not the pulley? Im starting to think so. I just wish i knew for sure cause id hate to have to go through all that to take it out if that isnt the problem...

truonghthe 03-28-2019 01:10 PM

lol this is why I gave up on helping people, literally we answer thousand of these thread before on why you should replace the whole assembly.

thoiboi 03-28-2019 01:23 PM

Pulleys creak/moan/groan and are physically harder to spin when the bearings fail.

If your belt is moving around, then it means tension is bad.

Pulleys don't apply tension in and of themselves so it sounds like your tensioner is bad. Replace it and the belt and go from there..

Feels like someone has said that before.. :ponder::scratch:

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16404230)
Replace the belt and the whole tensioner assembly.

be done with it

choangc 03-28-2019 01:33 PM

Alright you guys win. I was just in denial....

Ossman14 03-31-2019 09:05 PM

Lol let us know when you’re done replacing it

choangc 03-31-2019 09:38 PM

Done. Got is all done yesterday, good as new!

thoiboi 04-02-2019 11:58 AM

who woulda known :tomato:

thanks for following up.