Symptom of Transmission Going Out or Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Symptom of Transmission Going Out or Speed Sensor?

Today, I was driving into Toronto to visit a friend. When I was in the city the speedometer all of a sudden went down to zero and stayed there, "D" was blinking, VSA light was on, and the check engine light was on. Luckily, this happened when I was 2 minutes away from my friend's house. When I got to his house I was only able to shift the gear to neutral. Therefore, I pulled the e-brake and turned off the car and then that's when I was able to shift it to park. I looked under the vehicle and there was no sign of fluid leak. 10 minutes later, my friend and I decided to do a little test drive to see if the problem is there. VOILA, the transmission is shifting through the gears smoothly, the speedometer is working again, "D" is not blinking, and the VSA light is off. But the check engine light is still there.

Do you guys think my transmission is going out, or can it be the speed sensor? I'm going to try and get the codes read tomorrow since everything is closed. But in the meantime, if it is the speed sensor can I purchase it at a local auto part store because Acura dealerships are closed on a Sunday.

Maintenance history:
  • Did 3x3 drain and refill ten years ago.
  • 1x3 every two years ago after with Redline D4 ATF.
  • 3rd and 4th pressure switch replaced four years ago.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Check your ATF level, change your trans filter, and do a 100% ATF exchange if the fluid is less than ideal.
The following users liked this post:
optical24 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
Check your ATF level, change your trans filter, and do a 100% ATF exchange if the fluid is less than ideal.
Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the fluid level and it was on the full line. Since, the colour of the fluid is pink, I will be doing a 1x3 drain and refill. However, I have SOLVED the problem and it was the speed sensor. After replacing the sensor, the problem has not returned.

If anyone is interested, the part # is: 28810-PPW-013
The following users liked this post:
pkarandi (09-18-2017)