Sub frame accident.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub frame accident.

I was wondering if any of you guys here know anything about the subframe of Acura TL 05 .

Someone decided to slam me from the side, I never even saw it coming it was very early in the morning and dark out. They hit me mostly in the right front fender and wheel area ,but damage increased to other regiosn due to crumplong effect. Here is what I am trying to find out - The wheel axel broke - I am told this was axel pulls out from transmission , but in the area of the subframe there is what appears to be a dent - or manufactuer designed groove.....the repair place said they decided the subframe was not damaged now because they saw another acura and it had a similar groove ( there is apart or something in that area and they think acura puts those there to give more space) ? I am scared of any frame damage - transmission damage and they said EVEN if there was a slight dent in subframe really its just cosmetic . Damage that I know is right fromt quater panel - axel- some other stuff --drivers side airbag even though impact was to right front and side barely extending to the right front door - ( airbag going off confuses me and left some serious 2nd degree burns on my arms - blistering burns ! anyway anyone know about the normal specs for subframe ---I have a 05 acura RSX salvage title I bought from EBAY - total mistake - I bought it thinking I woud fix and give to my daughter - owner lied about frame damage and so I have this practicaly NEW 05 RSX Acura in my garage that I have not fixed due to frame damage and being scared to ever drive -- and now my 05 acura TL ,after being wrecked and seeing this in the subframe and them saying it may just be cosmetic ---any info please!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Can't tell from sitting in front of a computer, but any reputable shop would be able to detect any frame damage by checking the various specs.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Back in the day when "laser frame straighteners" first came out everyone in the world who had a Grand National was taking theirs to a body shop that had this tool. The frames on the cars that had t-tops came twisted from the factory... once on the straightener things were perfect. Don't be afraid to have it fixed if it is tweaked...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would take a pic of the spot in question, post it on here and see if someone else will post a similar or identical pic that would show the same area.

Also, don't buy salvage cars and give them to your kids..
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Racer

okay thanks for the help so far. I can't get a picture of that because the car is inaccessable right now. Wanted to ask another question though...The right front door pillar was broken as a result if the impact , the right front tire got pushed back into the passenger door , so as a fix they say they are taking the doors off and going to cut out the pillar area m it appears it was into the cabin of car soemehat ..anyway they are cutting out this foot size area and then going to weld new area on to that and bondo it back up ? Do you think this will effect the safety shoud the car ever take a hit on the passenger side again ,will it make it more crush proof - crumble easier - I worry for the passnger who may be riding with me if it ever was crashed again..anyone have an opinion ? Also the collisiom place told me even if the dent in the sunframe was there and not a factory groove or whatever ,that it is only cosmetic - nothing to worry about ...? Opinions still wanted TIA.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Racer

Accident 0ct 24 - Car still not ready , now they are checking the ABS - suspension , the lights still comes in after reset of sensors- this must have something to do with the wheel and pllar broken - read above to see how they fixed my door pillar..i am at a loss as i know nothing about cars , but is this ever going to be the same....also they had to reset airbag lights because they kept going off ,yet only the driver airbag deploded...oh and now they are replacing windshield and tint trim , I had glass scratch almost my entire car , they basicallyu had to repaint the whole thing ,but they noticed the glass chipped and scratched my whole windshield so it is being replaced to....does this seem like a long time for car to be in rpairs 40 days so far ...and the safey of it now is such a concern ...anyone know anything about cars here?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... sounds like you're having a rough time.

Let the shop take care of it. If the car doesn't work exactly the same as it did prior to the accident, complain to your insurance company. Tell them the car isn't fixed and you have to take it back into the shop and oh btw, they are going to pay for it. Comprehensive insurance requires the insurance company to pay to put you in a car that is in the same condition as before the accident. If that means they end up spending more on it than totalling the car, then that's their problem.

On to safety. If the body shop doesn't suck at what they do, then your car should still be 99% as safe as when it came from the factory. If they have to cut out pillars and reweld them, as long as they do quality welds then it shouldn't be a problem. A bent subframe does not automatically mean the car is somehow inheriently less safe. The main problem with a bent subframe is wheel alignment.

Take that RSX to a reputable body shop and have them evaluate the subframe and fix it. Again, a damaged subframe doesn't mean the car is any less safe as long as the body shop doesn't suck.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Wow... sounds like you're having a rough time.

Let the shop take care of it. If the car doesn't work exactly the same as it did prior to the accident, complain to your insurance company. Tell them the car isn't fixed and you have to take it back into the shop and oh btw, they are going to pay for it. Comprehensive insurance requires the insurance company to pay to put you in a car that is in the same condition as before the accident. If that means they end up spending more on it than totalling the car, then that's their problem.

On to safety. If the body shop doesn't suck at what they do, then your car should still be 99% as safe as when it came from the factory. If they have to cut out pillars and reweld them, as long as they do quality welds then it shouldn't be a problem. A bent subframe does not automatically mean the car is somehow inheriently less safe. The main problem with a bent subframe is wheel alignment.

Take that RSX to a reputable body shop and have them evaluate the subframe and fix it. Again, a damaged subframe doesn't mean the car is any less safe as long as the body shop doesn't suck.

Thankyou for your reassurance. Just to clarify - I have both an 05 TL , the one that was damaged in this current accident and another different car 05 Acura RSX, in which I bought on EBAY as a salvage title , paid 8500.00 because the seller shill bided me , i caught him and ebay took action , suspended his accout for 10 days...quite drastic action , wouldn;t you agree ....This same seller .lied to another buyer of a slavage car from him , same thing and also lied about frame damage...The frame damage on the RSX is the unibody , there is a kink in it , that is not fixable except for cutting out the horns and replacing ...anyway paid 1000.00 for shipping car to me , then another 1000.00 for airbags ...then the hood , the stereo sytstem was gone so had to get another bose system , 2 headlights ,front fender and tranny has a inch hole in it , radiator and core support. and windshield replaced ! total invested is over 12,500.00 , maybe more ....some have told me to part it out on ebay ...so to top that now my car I actually drive the 05 TL was crashed through no fault of my own ..yeah a bit agravated ......anyway thanks again for the reassurance , just paranoid I guess....aND btw IF anyone wants to make an offer on that 05 RSX ---- I know I'll take quite a loss ..but the only thing needing done is the frame ... anyone want to make an offer , car has 11k miles m silver with black leather interios ,still smells new ......

its for sale and I am willing to take loss...?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:18 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2 things hope that shop offers a lifetime warranty on the work

second how much you want for that 05 rsx if it is manual (evil grin)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stillhere153
2 things hope that shop offers a lifetime warranty on the work

second how much you want for that 05 rsx if it is manual (evil grin)

Too bad , its automatic .....can you drive an automatic ..it takes alot of learning lol - but I have faith that you COULD learn to drive an automatic ,with a little effort.........make an offer ...PM if you wish ....I am, negotiable even though I have 12.5 k invested - i am very negoitable.

Update on car dec 14 my car will have been in for collision repair 51 days....today I leanr the ABS stability light still on after they ordered another axel and new sensor ..at first they ordered refurbished , now they tried new because VSA or ABS light still on ....I am getting worried - anyone know about these things.....I think the VSA lights were
coming on when there were transmission problems - axel was pulled out from transmission in accident- ANY IDEAS ?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Racer

My repair costs right now are at 9000k - this is before adding costs connected with fixing the ABS and VSA that they can't seem to fix....just putting this here someone may know something or had similar expierience.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Racer

Well not that anyone is interested but , tried getting my car back today. I was so dissapointed ...when accelerating at any speed and continuous when the gas is being pressed at any speed there is a high pitched whine rubbing sqealing noise , not heard at any other time , only if the gas is pressed ,it doesn't matter what speed I am going , its only when gas is being pressed. Many other isues ,but this is the most worriesome.....any ideas ....in the accident the axel was broke ,but not before being pulled out of the transmission ...again any ideas....I was so happy to get my car back , until I DROVE IT .
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you need to take it back to them until they fix it. I had an accident with mine that put a small dent in the subframe and it wasnt a problem but it sounds like your car is hit worse than mine was. My front alignment was within spec even though the drivers side front wheel was destroyed lol
Old 12-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Racer

Flyby,

Thanks for the response. I made an error in the noise I reported. The high pitched whine only occurs when pressing the gas , but goes away ..until the gas is pressed again. For instance if you were accelerating the moise is loud , if you keep at that speed and do not further press accelerator it goes away , but if at that steady speed you accelerate more to go faster , it repeats itself ...it is strange ..I have searchbed this board for something similar and am not finding it...I take it in wednesday as the holidays and such prevent the dealership looking at it. I am curious though because the collision place that repaired the body was not the Acura repair,but a certified place that the at fault drivers insurance allows....so now that the mechanical damage is there the collision place that repaired says it has to go to acura ....Acura told me if the transmission was damaged in any way it would require a new transmission that will cost roughly 5- 6k ? This puts my damages at over 15k - now if this was found in the beginning by the insured repair facilty ,this car would have been totaled ...but now its just damage discovered from 2 different places totaling that amount....if my car's damages amount to what should have totaled ny car ,but it was missed on initial appraisel ...why should I have to accept my car back with that amount of damage ..anyone know about this type of thing....I loved my car would be very happy to have my car back ,but with this amount of damage as well my car literally smealls like a bondo shop inside ,plus knowing they added washers and screws so the door aligned properly , the sub frame issues ,the door pillar and rocker panel cut out - rewleded and such ..now posible transmission damage ..I'm about tapped out in believing this car is SAFE at all.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by That Girl
Flyby,

Thanks for the response. I made an error in the noise I reported. The high pitched whine only occurs when pressing the gas , but goes away ..until the gas is pressed again. For instance if you were accelerating the moise is loud , if you keep at that speed and do not further press accelerator it goes away , but if at that steady speed you accelerate more to go faster , it repeats itself ...it is strange ..I have searchbed this board for something similar and am not finding it...I take it in wednesday as the holidays and such prevent the dealership looking at it. I am curious though because the collision place that repaired the body was not the Acura repair,but a certified place that the at fault drivers insurance allows....so now that the mechanical damage is there the collision place that repaired says it has to go to acura ....Acura told me if the transmission was damaged in any way it would require a new transmission that will cost roughly 5- 6k ? This puts my damages at over 15k - now if this was found in the beginning by the insured repair facilty ,this car would have been totaled ...but now its just damage discovered from 2 different places totaling that amount....if my car's damages amount to what should have totaled ny car ,but it was missed on initial appraisel ...why should I have to accept my car back with that amount of damage ..anyone know about this type of thing....I loved my car would be very happy to have my car back ,but with this amount of damage as well my car literally smealls like a bondo shop inside ,plus knowing they added washers and screws so the door aligned properly , the sub frame issues ,the door pillar and rocker panel cut out - rewleded and such ..now posible transmission damage ..I'm about tapped out in believing this car is SAFE at all.
It is a little late but for future reference it is your car and you choose where to get it fixed. Every state has different laws but I would be very surprised that any state would not allow you to have it fixed by the dealer. It is your car and deserve to have the car in the same condition as it was before the incident. Do not accept anything less. Every noise, every smell, and every problem should be reported and fixed to your satisfaction. Be firm when dealing with the insurance company and do not rest until you are completely satisfied.

Your vehicle is now worth less than it was before the accident and you should also be entitled to compensation for diminished value. I would suggest you research this topic and let the insurance company know that if the car is ever fixed to your satisfaction you will still be seeking additional compensation for diminshed value. If you become enough of a pain they could still total the car to get you to go away. Good Luck!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Racer

Thanks again for response ...I was going to show my mother what the car does when driving , but too many cars parked behind ,so I decided to just start it up amd see if the car made the same noise on accleration with it in park ,just by reving the engine...and it does NOT---But I noticed this weird noise coming from the exhaust ..this bubbling rattling noise as well the steering just shakes and vibrates with just the engine running. I know some night think I'm being picky ,but I'm not , this car is a mess and I owe money still , alot of money still and was expecting after getting out of an 08 rental ( Which when I got the rental was surpirsed that an 08 was like that ) But stated wow ,no wonder I paid what I did for my car I would never get a car like my rental ..but after driving my car after it was repaired was shocked that the 08 is ALOT better then my car ...

Anyway , yes ,it is going to take a miracle to get my car back to what it was before the accident and feel it should have been taken to the Acura dealer for everything ..I feel now after seeing what has occured that the Acura place would have realised right away that their was damage to my transmisson just from seeing how the axel was pulled out of it ...but I'll see what happens when it goes to them ....I just trusted that a collision place that was certified by the at faults insurer was justified , afterall , they must have had a good history with them to certify them right ..I thougt the certification was a good thing and trust based on that ,but I was wrong ...

Thanks again , will keep uipdated here, this info may help someone else , you never know.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Sometimes these "certified" shops are just puppets for the insurance company. They can do subpar work at a lower rate so the insurance company pays less. I have a friend that owns a bodyshop. He is not one of these preferred shops, but he does get kicked around by the insurance companies quite a bit. For example, instead of replacing a box side on a pick up truck (the proper fix btw), progressive had them pull out the dent and fill it in with body filler. My friend was pissed since his name is on the sign out front, but he won't get paid for the proper repair, so he is forced to do what progressive wants. It happens with allstate, progressive, gieco, ect. A lot of insurance companies are now dictating to the body shop how to run thier business. Instead of doing what the body shop quotes in the estimate, the adjuster comes in and says no, we will only pay for used/aftermarket parts or they have them cut corners on a repair to save the insurance company a buck. What this all comes down to is the insurance company you have. You can have the best bodyshop in the world, but if they aren't getting paid to do the "proper repair", they more than likely will be forced to go with what the insurance company wants. The insurance company won't let it be unsafe, but it won't be necessarily correct from the standpoint of an autobody professional. My friend tells me stories all the time about things like this, in fact I changed insurance companies to one that he said is good about doing things the right way. Good luck with your problem(s), I would push until I get the results I am looking for. Sounds to me like the transmission is probably not 100% healthy if the axle was ripped out the side, it probably put a side load on the output shaft of the trans and hurt it.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by That Girl
Anyway , yes ,it is going to take a miracle to get my car back to what it was before the accident and feel it should have been taken to the Acura dealer for everything ..I feel now after seeing what has occured that the Acura place would have realised right away that their was damage to my transmisson just from seeing how the axel was pulled out of it ...but I'll see what happens when it goes to them ....I just trusted that a collision place that was certified by the at faults insurer was justified , afterall , they must have had a good history with them to certify them right ..I thougt the certification was a good thing and trust based on that ,but I was wrong ...
Be picky, be very picky, and do not be bashful about it. You might consider having your Acura dealer take a look at the car. Tell them the whole story and see if they can offer some assistance. If your lucky they may be able to assist you in your endeavor. Again, I wish you the best of luck.