Strange Steering -- Adjusts while turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Steering -- Adjusts while turning

I just bought an 04 TL from my father in law. I have previously owned an 06 and an 07. Noticed a problem right away. When turining, particularly to the left, the steering adjusts itself a couple of times. The sensation is as if the wheel gets light in your hands, then heavy again. For instance, if I am taking a constant radius turn to the left, I will need to adjust the line a couple of times, because the steering has a mind of its own. I had power steering fluid flushed, wheels balanced and front end aligned. Problem is better, but not resolved. The Pirellis on the car have about 5K miles on them.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 PM
3rd Gear

My wife just bought an 04 TSX that I feel has this same problem. It's very difficult to describe, and you've done a good job of putting it into words. I test drove another 04 TSX today that had a much more solid feel. In contrast, our new *used* TSX even feels very odd while driving straight on the highway, with little pulls in either direction, as if it's going to turn itself but then doesn't. While turning left, especially, at maybe 20-degrees turn of the wheel there is a point where suddenly it feels a little easier to turn. As you react instinctively by releasing a bit of pressure the wheel then feels slightly stuck ... almost like something isn't well lubed and then jumps back toward center. These things are not extremely apparent, but noticeable. I spoke to an alignment shop and they advised me it likely wasn't an alignment issue. I then spoke with an Acura (dealer) mechanic who said it sounded like a tire issue. After driving the car again (it's my wife's) I really don't think it's the tires (Falken Ziex 912). This car has 43000 miles on it. Whatever it is, it's not confidence inspiring as the driver must react to the changing steering feel while cornering and otherwise just accept the strange spongy left/right feedback while driving straight on the highway.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM
9th Gear

I have a 2004 TL with 70k miles on it that I got from my fiance. Mine does the same thing. I notice it especially on freeway on/offramps where I'm in a constant turn. It's not the tires as it was doing it before I had new tires put on about 4 months ago. I'm wondering if it's the front tie-bar endlinks as the bushings in them go after 60-70k miles in most cars. I'm new here and so I'm hoping that someone else has had this problem and can help out.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

That is exactly when it is most noticable on my car as well--contant turns like on ramps and off ramps. I don't suspect the tires either, and I know it's not normal. I have had two other third gen TLs that did not do this. In my case, it was not alignbment or balancing either. I am beginning to think it must be a suspension component. I can't believe that my in-laws drove the car like this. It definitely keeps your attention around constant turns.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 AM
3rd Gear

Im not an expert like a lot of the guys here but i had a problem with my 04 recently that was very similar to yours. You should look at whether one or more of the lines in the power steering system are leaking, and whether the PS pump is working properly. If you flushed the PS fluid recently, take a look under the hood at the fluid level in the resevoir. Keep an eye on it over a day or two to see if it decreases, and look at the (painted) metal area underneath to see if its all dirty / wet from fluid spillage. If the level stays the same and you see no wetness beneath the resevoir / line connections, you should focus on whether the pump might be shot. I ended up replacing the pump, eliminated the problem entirely.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 04dynamic
Im not an expert like a lot of the guys here but i had a problem with my 04 recently that was very similar to yours. You should look at whether one or more of the lines in the power steering system are leaking, and whether the PS pump is working properly. If you flushed the PS fluid recently, take a look under the hood at the fluid level in the resevoir. Keep an eye on it over a day or two to see if it decreases, and look at the (painted) metal area underneath to see if its all dirty / wet from fluid spillage. If the level stays the same and you see no wetness beneath the resevoir / line connections, you should focus on whether the pump might be shot. I ended up replacing the pump, eliminated the problem entirely.
that's great advice. I'll take a look at that later today.

Thanks!!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
9th Gear

So the power steering fluid is full, right on the max fill line. I also checked the hoses and there doesn't seem to be a leak in any of them. Do you think having the power steering fluid flushed would help?

Also, I've never seen an engine bay that's go so much cosmetic plastic covering everything. Usually there's just a piece of plastic over the engine, this thing has everything covered up. lol
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

Again, i'm not an expert, but i doubt the PS flush will help. From what i understand its not a bad thing to do but from a solving your problem perspective i dont think it will do the trick. If i were to guess what your problem is, i'd say you need a new PS pump.

Is the problem speed sensitive?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

My problem seems to be getting worse again. Experienced it on a right hand sweeper today. That is making me wonder if it might be air getting into the system. Flush forced out air--now it is getting back in. Any thoughts? Could this be as simple as th o-ring swap that helped many with other power steering isues?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

Heres the service bulletin on the O-Ring issue (maybe you've already seen it but can't hurt to post again in case not) -

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf

The common issue with the O-Ring problem though is a whining noise from the air in the ps system, particularly during cold weather. I've seen the bulletin referenced a number of times, and i never saw anyone complain about steering problems going along with it. With mine, i was having a) problems with tightness in the steering, and b) a whining noise. I got the O-Ring done first, and it fixed the whining noise, but the steering problem remained. New ps pump fixed the steering problem. I'd get the O-Ring done first and hope for the best, but i'd bet on the pump being your problem.

Did you do what i suggested to teknoboy? - clean off area below ps resevoir and line connections and monitor for leaking. Its a painted metal area so easy to see if you have a leak. Not to say the leak couldnt be somewhere else but its worth a shot. also, note the level of fluid in the resevoir and see if it decreases over a few days. I still think its the pump but trying to isolate a much less expensive fix beforehand isnt a bad idea.

let me know im interested now.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I have to go with the air theory. It's like the amount of assist changes on it's own mid corner. Mine started doing this right about the time it started whining on cold mornings. After checking the fluid level, it's fine but very aerated. Got the o-rings on order.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 04dynamic
Heres the service bulletin on the O-Ring issue (maybe you've already seen it but can't hurt to post again in case not) -

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-060.pdf

The common issue with the O-Ring problem though is a whining noise from the air in the ps system, particularly during cold weather. I've seen the bulletin referenced a number of times, and i never saw anyone complain about steering problems going along with it. With mine, i was having a) problems with tightness in the steering, and b) a whining noise. I got the O-Ring done first, and it fixed the whining noise, but the steering problem remained. New ps pump fixed the steering problem. I'd get the O-Ring done first and hope for the best, but i'd bet on the pump being your problem.

Did you do what i suggested to teknoboy? - clean off area below ps resevoir and line connections and monitor for leaking. Its a painted metal area so easy to see if you have a leak. Not to say the leak couldnt be somewhere else but its worth a shot. also, note the level of fluid in the resevoir and see if it decreases over a few days. I still think its the pump but trying to isolate a much less expensive fix beforehand isnt a bad idea.

let me know im interested now.
Sorry, I was out of town this weekend. I'll clean it off today and drive with it for a few days to see what happens.

How do the TSB's work so far as when a dealer will still apply them. I have a 2004 TL with 71,000 miles so of course I'm out of warranty.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My power steering was whining also and brought it into the dealer and fix it under the recall ever since then everything worked fine the noise and whining is gone and the fluid is perfect but the sterring is still a little wacky. It pulls which ever way it wants. i just got an aligment and balance but didnt help. i guess i'l live with it lol not to dramatic for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

So, I posted my steering problem question to one of the ask an expert websites today. The tech answering has supposedly been a Honda/Acura guy for 20 years. He mentioned the bushings on the lower control arm (which I checked, and they are ripped, as most TLs will eventually be) and engine mounts--specifically the upper passenger side. This is the first anyone has raised this possibility. Any thoughts?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
its just the active steering being rough, the steering is speed sensitive so it is easy to move at lower speeds and a bit more weighted at higher speeds with less sensitivity. Check your rack and pinon along with PS fluid and lines. I've had this happen with my tl since I bought it new, I've gotten used to it. I figured better leave it alone before it opens up a whole can of worms when trying to fix it.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

This is still an issue with my car, and I would add that there is some wandering at a variety of speeds, on anything but the smoothest of roads. This is a two hands on the wheel at all times car. My wife says it has a mind of its own. Breaking down and taking it to Acura Thursday for a once over. This is my third 3G TL, so I do not think this is normal. That is not to say that you can't get used to it.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by klatulip
This is still an issue with my car, and I would add that there is some wandering at a variety of speeds, on anything but the smoothest of roads. This is a two hands on the wheel at all times car. My wife says it has a mind of its own. Breaking down and taking it to Acura Thursday for a once over. This is my third 3G TL, so I do not think this is normal. That is not to say that you can't get used to it.
Check the amount of power steering fluid you have and see if it's filled up between the min and max levels. Also have you had the recall done yet for the Power Steering pump? If not, go have that done and as well have them check the O rings for the pump to see if it's bad.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Thanks. Both good thoughts. PS fluid level is good. The car had the power steering recall done. I replaced the o-ring. I am not confident that Acura is going to offer much new information--but I will give it a shot. The service writer on the phone said "if the alignment has been done and the tires have been checked-out, there is not much more we can do, but we will be happy to look at it for you." NTB did the alignment, wheel balance and tire check when I first noticed the problem. I will report back tomorrow after Acura takes a look.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Only reply from Acura yesterday was that, despite my appointment, they did not have time between 7:30 and 6 to look at my car. Supposed to look at it today. No loaner = PITA.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Shocker--Acura was unable to duplicate the probelm on test drive. The only suggestion they had was that any wandering of front end could be due to the aggressive tread pattern of the PZero Nero M&S tires.