Strange Card In Bicycle Wheel Flapping/clicking Sound????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:54 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Card In Bicycle Wheel Flapping/clicking Sound????

i've searched every single thread till date and no one has reported what i am about to report. the problem is best described , i believe, as sounding like what we did as kids when we put playing cards in our bicycle wheels to make that flap, flap sound that increased with wheel speed/revolutions. i've only heard it recently, my car has 60,000 miles, previous major fix history with dealer was CV joint replacement 3 times! once on driver, twice on passenger, and all three were done between 45,000 miles and 50,000 miles. there are no vibrations at any speeds, doesn't seem similar to CV joint failure symptoms- sound or feel. only does it when i gas (move), in all gears , best heard in 1st gear, ( 6 MT , by the way) driving less than 10 miles an hour and even heard better when left in 1st gear and revving down from 10 MPH to 5 MPH. only reason best heard in lower gears is because of other noise canceling factors associated wiuth higher speeds. the flap flap flap sound is EXACTlY like the bicycle w/ card sound except that the "flaps" are "click" sounds instead. no sound is duplicated when in neutral, and i cann't tell in reverse, even though my friend states it's obvious then too. it is extremely embarrassing in traffic, my car sounds like a piece of crap 86 nissan p/u truck i once drove, similar to a valve ticking sound but once again, it doesn't do it at nuetral. and the noise gets repeatedly faster, BUT, not louder with vehicle speed. i truly gave it my best shot to describe this problem, any body out there know what this is? my friend said it could be a throw out bearing or CV problem? with all symptoms i've stated, are these possibly true?? thanks for all who took the time to read this and especially to ones who reply....