Steering Wheel Vibration on 2005

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Vibration on 2005

I picked up my 2005 TL on Saturday. It is very nice. The only thing I am not certain about so far is a very, very minor vibration in the steering wheel. It is not related to alignment or tire balance. It is sort of always there. I think it may have something to do with the rumble of the exhuast or maybe it is all the clean air stuff they have on the engine. At any rate, I had a Camry V6 which was extremly smooth and didn't transmit any vibration at all through the steering wheel. Does anyone know what I am talking about? If that is the way it is suppose to work, it's fine. Your comments are appreciated.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Advanced

I've started to notice the same sort of vibration in my '04. I'm taking it in tomorrow for the first time since buying it back in July.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Advanced

bfogarty .....search on driveline vibration.but .. interesting on th 05 .. please indicate .. auto/man .. tire manufactuer .. speeds & RPMS when noticed ... the more info the better .. please
Old 10-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Its an auto with the Nav so it has the Michelins. It only has a hundred miles on it but I put some Sunoco 94 proof in it tonight to see if it makes any differnece. For all I know the dealer could have put 87 in the tank. The minor vibration is simply there at idle and throughout the power band although it does seem to disipate at times. The problem is that I have not had a lot of time with it to report much. I will get more of a chance to drive it over the next few days and will report back after I have more experience. This vibration is very minor, although anoying, since the rest of the vehicle appears to work so well.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Banned

i'm "guessing" that it is some sort of harmonics between engine and 5AT.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:37 PM
pps
Advanced

same problem

I have the same problem - i have a 6mt.

At idle there is a vibration in steering wheel. Can sometimes feel it in the clutch and/or accelerator pedal. When taking off in 1st to 2nd seems to grow, then steady down at other speeds.

I thought it was tires at first, but am convinced it is not, since I get this at idle now.
This after about 10000 miles on it.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 PM
4th Gear

I currently have an 05 TL with 48K Miles, I am expericing the vibration in the steering as well, took it to the dealer and they said it was balancing, they balanced it and still having the vibration... will return Monday. DOes anyone else have this problem???
Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Hunter Roadforce needed...

Originally Posted by stdbkb01
I currently have an 05 TL with 48K Miles, I am expericing the vibration in the steering as well, took it to the dealer and they said it was balancing, they balanced it and still having the vibration... will return Monday. DOes anyone else have this problem???
Mine has not had any problems yet, but I've heard of balancing being an issue on some of the TLs until the dealer or tire shop uses a Hunter Roadforce machine to balance the tires. Not all Acura dealer shops have the Hunter machine, though, so you should call to confirm that your dealer is using one.
If you do a search here, you may find that the Bridgestone Turanza EL42s used on the non-Navi models also tended to flatspot, but I assume, based on your mileage, that you're not using those tires.
Good luck.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
4th Gear

Vibration

The dealer did a load test balance but it did nothing to fix the vibration, you would think dealer would know about the type of balancing equipment mentioned. They gave me a loaner car (TL) NO vibration....... I truly love my car but hate the vibration.....I thought about adding custom wheels but don't want to go throughthe trouble of having to balance all over again...... any suggestions on good custom wheels?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 AM
2008 5A/T-Navi

I have an '06 6MT and I have had the same vibration problem you're talking about since the vehicle was new. I bought the vehicle in FL in April and shipped it to Puerto Rico in May, so I have not have the chance to take it to any dealership. I currently have about 5k miles on the car. I've noticed that for my vehicle, the vibration is more evident over 55 mph. I have the Turanzas EL42 but I've lost a pair to potholes which would have lessened the vibration issue if the cause was the tires. I also have a problem with the alignment of the steering wheel. It has never been centered; the car is also slightly out of alignment. this week I also got to spend some time dealing with a new small issue with the shifter leather cover. It is now sliding down into the lever. I hope that the Acura dealership here in Puerto Rico steps up and delivers for me, since it is the only place I can take it for warranty work.