Steering Wheel Column Rattle!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Exclamation Steering Wheel Column Rattle!! Help!

Hey guys and gals,

I google searched and only got left vent rattle. PLEASE Help! Like the title states I'm tackling all my rattles and managed to get most fixed, BUT 1. I would hear it on the left vent but i put felt all over inside the vent and tweeter. also put black foam where the A pillar meets the dash.

Well i tried applying pressure on vent and still hear the rattle/squeak. Either with A/C on or Off, or when I go over small speed bumps or dips. I found out the location of the squeak.

As I'm driving I apply good amount of downward pressure on the steering wheel and the noise goes away, Let go it comes back. I cant take the noise anymore, its so loud I can barely enjoy listening to the radio.

Any solutions to this, I drive an 05 Acura TL. My aunt has an 06 TL no squeak but she told me it might be the steering wheel alignment. IDK anything bout my car as I am new to owning it and fixing things like alignments.

Please help me, I cannot stand the rattle/squeak, Im too aftraid to remove the column covers and drive around trying to find it.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Are the column covers screwed on tight?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Im not sure if they are or not. All i know is its coming from the inside steering wheel column, and only pressure downwards stops the squeak. I tried changing the position of the telescoping wheel but it didnt help. I am not sure where those screws you mentioned are at?

Are they the ones on the left and right side inside those holes? or clips.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are threads on this in problems and fixes. There are wires and connectors inside the steering column and over time they can shift and begin to rattle. If I remember correctly, it sounded like a real PITA to do the fix, I'm sorry to say. If you have a warranty, or you're feeling flush, have the dealer do it.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Have a link to it, I am sure there is but when I search it I only get the left vent rattle, trust me I have searched and worded everything different to see if I can at least find something. But nothing.
I dnt have a warranty anymore since I am second owner.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is a good place to start:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...teering+column

You sort of have to go through the threads one by one, because the OP often captions the first post with things like "My TL Is Junk," and you have to read the post to find out what he's griping about. The search function isn't the sharpest either. A number of people report good luck simply by using Google, like "steering column rattle 05 Acura TL."

By the way, I think my diagnosis was wrong. If you can stop the rattle by putting downward pressure on the wheel your rattle is probably something external to the steering column, not something inside. I would go over all the various trim and cover pieces around the column. Get somebody else to drive the car on a bumpy road while you investigate.

My complaint is that the car is a ventriloquist. The rattle that clearly comes from the left vent turns out to be an old pair of sunglasses in the passenger map pocket.

Between the shop manual (www.helminc.com) and the 3G forum, with perseverence you can find out almost anything you need to know about these cars. Good hunting!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There are two screws on the bottom of the steering column that are each at the end of a "tunnel". I tightened mine a bit and the rattle went away...now if i could just fix the other 534 rattles in the car I'll be good.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

^thanks guys Ill check it out when I wash my car this week. Well I tried the search on Azine and found a couple of links so pretty much some people say its a connector/reel of wires shifted and now rubbing against the walls inside the steering wheel.

But ill try to diagnose my rattle with those screws, and if not Ill find someone who can help fix it. yah and I fixed all rattles except the steering wheel one and its a tough one to get rid of.