AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Steering very tight when hard braking (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/steering-very-tight-when-hard-braking-978510/)

ifeliciano 04-04-2019 10:49 AM

Steering very tight when hard braking

I did a site search through google, but didn't come up with much on my specific issue.

I have a 2004 TL Base that seems to be running fine for its age and mileage. I have done some repairs and basic maintenance in the few months ive had the car, but have not driven it hard to check it out until today.
I have overhauled the Power Steering pump and replaced all the seals in the steering rack. I followed the service manual to a T (mostly). There were a somethings I didn't mess with since I did not have the tools for it.

Anyhow... When driving normal the steering is fine and feels as it should for a TL, but if I brake hard my steering gets really tight. Almost impossible to turn the wheel for several seconds. Several seconds after I let off the brake and return to normal driving, my steering is back.
Do any of you mechanically savvy members have any idea what could be the issue?

thoiboi 04-04-2019 10:55 AM

When was the last time you replaced your PS fluid? Is their air in it perhaps?

ifeliciano 04-04-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16407312)
When was the last time you replaced your PS fluid? Is their air in it perhaps?

Thoiboi. A month or so ago. Didn't have any air bubbles after I followed the PS fluid replacement procedure. I'll check for air bubbles shortly though.

ifeliciano 04-04-2019 11:30 AM

Well. I steered it left/right a few times, 50 or so, and I did see a few (less than 10) bubbles on the surface on the PS fluid. No leaks that I can discern.

ifeliciano 04-04-2019 03:47 PM

Took it out for a 30 min drive cycle, along my drive I had to brake hard and noticed my steering got really stiff once more. Seems like intermittent issue.
Might replace the PS pump. Any thoughts?

BROlando 04-04-2019 04:31 PM

Do you have vaccum leaks? Does the idle dip pretty far down when you apply the brakes?

Does it only happen when you're in gear?

Does the car need to be moving for the steering to become stiff? Or can you do this while sitting still?

ifeliciano 04-04-2019 04:45 PM

Answers in Red

Originally Posted by BROlando (Post 16407520)
Do you have vaccum leaks? Does the idle dip pretty far down when you apply the brakes? I don't think I have any vacuum leaks. I replaced a lot of the older hoses. They were still good but hard. Where should I look for vacuum leaks?

Does it only happen when you're in gear? Yes, It happens when i'm driving and hard brake.

Does the car need to be moving for the steering to become stiff? Or can you do this while sitting still? Mostly only checked while driving. I did noticed, once after I had parked the car in my driveway, that the steering was stiff for about 10 seconds after starting the car. Have not noticed again.

BROlando 04-05-2019 11:01 AM

The PS starts to taper off as the car goes faster. You need less assist when speed is higher.

Maybe there is an issue with the pressure switch or pressure reading.

Have you had the car inspected?

ifeliciano 04-06-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BROlando (Post 16407837)
The PS starts to taper off as the car goes faster. You need less assist when speed is higher.

Maybe there is an issue with the pressure switch or pressure reading.

Have you had the car inspected?

I was thinking there might have been an issue with the p/s pressure switch. I need to look in the service manual for a test procedure. Will reseat connector later and drive around. Its pouring rain right now..
By Inspection do you mean a mechanic or state emissions?

ifeliciano 04-09-2019 07:07 PM

I ended up replacing the whole P/S pump on Saturday afternoon. No issues so far. From poking around with the old pump, to me it seems the flow valve is sticking. (hard to slide back/forth in housing).

jimmyfu 04-11-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ifeliciano (Post 16409393)
I ended up replacing the whole P/S pump on Saturday afternoon. No issues so far. From poking around with the old pump, to me it seems the flow valve is sticking. (hard to slide back/forth in housing).

if you're so inclined and don't have a core charge, you could follow the rebuild guide and take it apart to see exactly what was going on