Steering Problem - More than alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Problem - More than alignment?

I'm having an issue with my '06 TL regarding steering and need to solicit the expertise of those who might be more knowledgeable.

When going straight, I have to keep my wheel pointed at about 11:00 with little to no road crown. When the steering wheel is straight, it will move into the right lane fairly quickly.

That sounds like an alignment problem, right? I thought so too. Especially when you consider that I noticed this a day or two after I recall hitting a fairly major pothole on the highway with my right front wheel. Makes sense, right?

I took it back to the dealer. They said the front alignment was fine, but the left rear wheel was slightly out, which could cause this. It made no sense to me. They made the fix and it didn't fix the problem.

I took it back. They swapped the front tires and it didn't fix it so they checked the alignment again. This time they said the right front was slightly out of alignment. They made the fix (didn't charge me). Still didn't fix the problem.

Two questions:
1) Is one alignment shop or machine better than another? I know it matters who is doing it, but what about their equipment? I'm done going to the dealer. What questions should I ask another shop?

2) This is the one that bugs me most: The car is more difficult to turn to the right than to the left. I don't recall this when I first bought it (now has 3k miles). Could this be related or is it normal in the TL? Maybe this isn't an alignment problem, rather something else in the suspension got knocked out of spec?

If anyone has any ideas, I would be greatly appreciative!! This is truly frustrating!!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Racer

Check-out tirerack.com FAQ on Diagnosing Tire Pull .
Old 07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Mine did the SAME thing and I made them get the Honda rep. on my car because they were clueless what to do. He said sometimes from the factory the steering wheel itself it not right and they must fix it. They had no problems getting it fixed and it was fine after that.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback!

How do I get in touch with the factory rep or regional manager? Also, is it normal that it feels more difficult to turn right than left?

Again, thanks for your help!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Talk to the service man at your dealership or like me deal with the owner of the dealership. Tell them you think maybe the steering wheel is off. If they cant fix it tell them you want to know the name and number or the day the factory rep will be there.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
See post 18 in this thread Click here
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ooooo I had some weird problems myself with tire pull n misdirection. When I did the alignment at my boys shop, I tilted the wheels in .2 of a degree on the tire rod because on the TL's the alignment machine give no instructions on how to adjust the caster or camber only the tow...... Acura claims they did some bullshit work to re-adjust the camber because when i first got the car it was pulling hard to the right.....but the camber has nothing to do with that LOL! so I nodded my head and walked out. I just said F*** it and went to my boys shop n had him do the right work.