AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Is this a starter issue? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/starter-issue-927755/)

silver_shark 03-18-2015 06:18 PM

Is this a starter issue?

hey guys, after only 2 weeks of getting my type s, it seems that I already have an issue; yesterday I spent some time trying to figure out bluetooth/voice commands (all done while engine was not running). later that night my remote starter would not start the car (thought maybe range or signal interference). I went outside to the car and tried again, the remote start would activate, the car would try and start but then fail. after starting the car manually with the key (and stepping on the gas pedal) the car ran just fine. even this morning I had no issues starting it. however, about 2 hours ago when i went to start the car it was a very weak start. now the most concerning thing was that when i parked the car and stopped the engine I could hear a clunking/knocking sound coming from behind the dash...
anyone know whats going on? i'm taking it in to the shop tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone has had this issue before...

thanks guys

silver_shark 03-18-2015 06:29 PM

Sorry, I posted this orginally in the wrong place.. thanks MODs for moving :)

thoiboi 03-18-2015 06:33 PM

HFL dying most likely. its draining all the power from your battery thus connected to your starting issue. Very common in our cars. Unplug and/or replace

06TLMatt 03-18-2015 07:34 PM

When my starter was having issues ( and lots of other people ) it would intermittently just not do anything at all when you tried to crank it. No noise, no sounds of it trying to turn over, just nothing. Not sure what the noise behind the dash is, but it doesn't sound like your starter is going bad.

NBP04TL4ME 03-18-2015 07:55 PM

Any idea how old your battery is? Is it OEM?

silver_shark 03-19-2015 11:22 AM

update: car wouldn't start at all this morning, checked the battery, and there was a huge buildup of corrosion at both poles of the battery... I mean, it looked like my battery was having a cocaine party... upon further inspection, to my dismay, it appears that the previous owner changed the battery terminals (i think, not 100% sure) but it is a problem I had with the accord and it was a nightmare... solution then was to fix the terminals.. i'm hoping i don't need a new power harness... anyone have this issue before? considering the accord, i'm sure i can't be the only one... :dunno:

NBP04TL4ME 03-19-2015 11:55 AM

What do you mean by "battery terminals"? Are you talking about on the battery or the battery cable ends?

polobunny 03-19-2015 12:10 PM

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

It happens often, you can run a rough sandpaper on the battery poles, then roll the sanding paper inside out to clean the cables clean of grime.

That said, this won't fix your issue if your battery is the problem...

silver_shark 03-19-2015 07:53 PM

sry, i meant the ring terminals on the power/negative harness cables. unless the oem uses alan key heads for their terminals, im pretty sure they've been changed. usually its a no.10 socket.. like it was on my accord before i changed them out as well.

turns out was a bad battery, I've replaced it, done a synthetic oil change, drain n fill on the transmission, and rust-proofed. all in all, pretty productive day, lol. thanks for the help guys

NBP04TL4ME 03-19-2015 08:06 PM

:thumbsup:

flyromeo3 03-24-2015 08:08 AM

Glad to hear its fixed.

Knoffler 03-28-2015 11:42 PM

12.6!

NBP04TL4ME 03-29-2015 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Knoffler (Post 15383738)
12.6!

:scratch:

Knoffler 03-29-2015 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME (Post 15383828)
:scratch:

12.6 volts = fully charged battery

tndirtdauber 03-30-2015 01:15 PM

wondering!!!

What kind of synthetic oil did you use? I am thinking about doing that for several reasons, mainly for ptotection and performance . New here and all help is received thankfully...