AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Starter Died - Rebuild or Buy New? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/starter-died-rebuild-buy-new-974713/)

simran4h 11-08-2018 11:19 AM

Starter Died - Rebuild or Buy New?

I have an 07 type s and when I tried to start my car about 2 weeks ago, the "check starting system" appeared and it wouldnt start. I tried again and on the second time it started up normally and didnt have any issues until yesterday. Car started as normal and I went to go get pizza, but when I got back and tried to start it, I got the same check starting system sign and it wouldnt start. I banged the starter twice, but didnt work. Then I held the key in the start position for about 15 seconds and it worked. I drove home and tried to start it again and its not working. Do you guys recommend getting mine rebuilt, as I read the autozone ones arent great. If so, do you guys know if any reputable rebuild shops in central jersey area? Or are there any aftermarket ones that are decent, as I dont want to pay $400 for a new one from acura. Thanks for your input

4daluv 11-08-2018 12:18 PM

LOL
I just replaced my starter yesterday. I actually bought my from Autozone. It came with a lifetime warranty! The hardest part of this job is removing the battery tray. That bolt in the back is very time comsuming. I sat and read thru a ton of different threads to figure out which is the best starter for our cars. I really didn't have a lot of time to figure which starter works best. So I said screw it,. went with a Duralast Starter! Hell if it breaks then I take it back ,.LOL ,.. its going to be more of preference issue! So far so good. No complaints yet! Good luck and search for your new starter! Just my 2cents ,..100!!!!

horseshoez 11-08-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by simran4h (Post 16328886)
I have an 07 type s and when I tried to start my car about 2 weeks ago, the "check starting system" appeared and it wouldnt start. I tried again and on the second time it started up normally and didnt have any issues until yesterday. Car started as normal and I went to go get pizza, but when I got back and tried to start it, I got the same check starting system sign and it wouldnt start. I banged the starter twice, but didnt work. Then I held the key in the start position for about 15 seconds and it worked. I drove home and tried to start it again and its not working. Do you guys recommend getting mine rebuilt, as I read the autozone ones arent great. If so, do you guys know if any reputable rebuild shops in central jersey area? Or are there any aftermarket ones that are decent, as I dont want to pay $400 for a new one from acura. Thanks for your input

Typically the best bang for the buck for starters and alternators is neither new or rebuilt; instead you should look for a remanufactured unit.

jimmyfu 11-08-2018 01:56 PM

I bought mine from Napa - remanned because it minimized downtime. If you have some time, you can take out the starter and bring it to someone to rebuild. I believe Napa cost me about 180-220, with the core refunded. I thought about rebuilding my original one but I couldn't find any kits/parts or tutorials...The brush that I did find on OEM acura sites were $90.

justnspace 11-08-2018 02:03 PM

the only thing I've come across with remanned starters....is that they no longer sound like a honda starter. lol

tomlinsonj 11-08-2018 02:41 PM

I've replaced the starter twice- both times with the Advanced Auto Parts Duralast brand of re-manufactured starter. You can order online and pick up in a store same day, plus there is usually a discount code available. What i thought was interesting was there's a specific starter for my 6MT. I would have thought something like a starter wouldn't be transmission specific.

simran4h 11-08-2018 05:27 PM

So I've checked an acura website and it shows the unit manufacturer as Mitsubishi. So looking on rockauto, I saw ACDELCO has a remanufactured one and listed the unit manufacturer as Mitsubishi as well. Im thinking about going with that, has anyone used ACDELCO before?

nfnsquared 11-08-2018 08:19 PM

OP, have you had the battery tested? How can you be sure it's not a bad battery or a bad ignition switch or bad connection? I've never heard of anyone reporting a "check starting system" message when their starter was bad...

Turbonut 11-09-2018 08:52 AM

AC Delco parts are just reboxed as they do not produce any of their parts.
Duralast are junk, so go for a new starter from Rock Auto, no core deposit.
TYC lifetime warrant $80
Use 9333364788182531 in how did you hear about us-5% discount on parts
Expires 12/02/18

t-rd 11-09-2018 09:41 AM

I bought a used OEM starter off a rear ended car with just 54k miles for $50, then installed a new OEM brush for $11. That's $61 for a lightly used OEM starter.

simran4h 11-09-2018 11:51 AM

I did not have the battery tested, one because its only a year old and second reason is that I initially thought my battery was going bad so I had a friend come and tried to jump start the car and that didnt work. How would I be able to tell if its a bad ignition or connection? Also what other reasons, besides alternator, would the check starting system come up if not for starter?

simran4h 11-09-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut (Post 16329469)
AC Delco parts are just reboxed as they do not produce any of their parts.
Duralast are junk, so go for a new starter from Rock Auto, no core deposit.
TYC lifetime warrant $80
Use 9333364788182531 in how did you hear about us-5% discount on parts
Expires 12/02/18

I checked on Rockauto for a TYC starter but its only for the 3.2 motor. The only one thats new and available for the 3.5 is Power Select and has a one year limited warranty. Any experience with that one?

nfnsquared 11-09-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by simran4h (Post 16329627)
I did not have the battery tested, one because its only a year old and second reason is that I initially thought my battery was going bad so I had a friend come and tried to jump start the car and that didnt work. How would I be able to tell if its a bad ignition or connection? Also what other reasons, besides alternator, would the check starting system come up if not for starter?

I don't have the 2007 TLS service manual to consult, but I'm skeptical that a "check starting system" error would be generated by a bad starter.

I'd have the battery tested, it's free. And while you're there, have them read the codes (also free). Get a print out.

Also, you didn't mention the cable connections at the battery. Did you remove them, clean them and then re-tighten them?

Turbonut 11-10-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by simran4h (Post 16329743)
I checked on Rockauto for a TYC starter but its only for the 3.2 motor. The only one thats new and available for the 3.5 is Power Select and has a one year limited warranty. Any experience with that one?

My mistake as I looked at the 3.2 not the 3.5. The TL-s has 2 different starters, A/T and 6 speed, so be certain the one purchased meets the application. Know nothing about the Power Select, and that one doesn't specify transmission type.

Midnight Mystery 11-10-2018 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16329070)
the only thing I've come across with remanned starters....is that they no longer sound like a honda starter. lol

Deal breaker!!! Our 2007-08 cars have less of that Honda sound than the 2004-06 TL's.... But it's still there.... In fact, I almost thought about putting an OEM 2004-06 starter on my 2008 just for that sound...

redbeard1 03-14-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by t-rd (Post 16329509)
I bought a used OEM starter off a rear ended car with just 54k miles for $50, then installed a new OEM brush for $11. That's $61 for a lightly used OEM starter.

Hi t-rd,

I'm trying to rebuild my starter but the brushes have been discontinued. This is the only part that is worn on my starter. Where did you find your OEM brushes? Thanks for any help.

edit: 2005 tl AT

redbeard1 03-15-2019 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by redbeard1 (Post 16398290)
Hi t-rd,

I'm trying to rebuild my starter but the brushes have been discontinued. This is the only part that is worn on my starter. Where did you find your OEM brushes? Thanks for any help.

edit: 2005 tl AT

T-RD,

please ignore question. I saw your post in another site and that answered my question. Thanks.

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...feel-like.html

DMZ 03-15-2019 06:55 AM

OP, have you tried replacing the + battery cable? At this age it could be corroded internally where you can't see and unable to transmit enough juice. I had similar starting issues a couple of years ago and it that was it.

redbeard1 03-23-2019 08:34 PM

t-rd,

Thanks again for your work on finding another source for brushes. Ebay parts worked and starter is back to normal.