Starter changed now rattle from steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Starter changed now rattle from steering wheel

Hi guys,

The dealer changed my started weeks ago, and since then I’ve noticed arattle that seems to be coming from inside the steering wheel (not my keys). I got rid of itby adjusting the wheel but its came back 3days later.. My question is to changethe starter does the steering wheel or anything near it has to be taken off??
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Does it sound like a slightly metal ting sound? I have a similar issue but mines in the steering wheel column or behind the metal plate where the steering wheel bolts on.

All began when I changed the lightbulbs in my steering wheels controls and removed the airbag. I tried tightening the airbag a bit more and it manage to subdue it so slightly, still there.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
To answer, no. Replacing the starter has nothing to do with the steering wheel.

The only thing I could think might be rattling after a starter replacement is if they didn't reinstall the battery tray properly, as it's bolted to the side of the engine bay. I suppose that rattle may transmit to what you're hearing, but I'm skeptical.

Change your reference point to see if the source might be different. Pop the hood, stick your head in and see what it sounds like from there. Grab the battery and see if it or the tray will wiggle around.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
If it was me, I'd just return it to the dealer and tell them the problem. But hey what do I know...
Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
Does it sound like a slightly metal ting sound? I have a similar issue but mines in the steering wheel column or behind the metal plate where the steering wheel bolts on.

All began when I changed the lightbulbs in my steering wheels controls and removed the airbag. I tried tightening the airbag a bit more and it manage to subdue it so slightly, still there.
Yeah is sounds like my keys are rattling.

Originally Posted by Chessie724
To answer, no. Replacing the starter has nothing to do with the steering wheel.

The only thing I could think might be rattling after a starter replacement is if they didn't reinstall the battery tray properly, as it's bolted to the side of the engine bay. I suppose that rattle may transmit to what you're hearing, but I'm skeptical.

Change your reference point to see if the source might be different. Pop the hood, stick your head in and see what it sounds like from there. Grab the battery and see if it or the tray will wiggle around.
I don't think its the battery because if i bang the steering wheel in s certain direction i can reproduce the rattle.

Originally Posted by Ruby
If it was me, I'd just return it to the dealer and tell them the problem. But hey what do I know...
Yeah, im going to bring it back in.