Squealing rear door detents

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing rear door detents

I have an '05 TL. A year or so ago the rear doors sounded a little big "grindy" when they opened/closed. I sprayed lithium grease from a can on the hinges and the arm between the hinges that goes into the door. I also sprayed the grease into the door hole where this arm goes in.

After I did this, the noise got much worse! The screech is coming from the detent arm unit on both rear doors. My suspicion is that the solvent carrier for the spray grease may have "washed" away the original grease in the door detent spring units that are just inside the door "hole".

I have since sprayed in more lithium grease; I've tried 3 in 1 oil; I've greased the arm itself. I even took off one door panel and removed the detent unit, which is the arm and a metal box held to the inside of the door by two bolts. It appears that the detent arm goes into the box and there is some sort of very strong spring and perhaps a ball bearing (guessing) that "rides" in the channel in the arm, and "sets" on a detent which is a trough in the channel on the arm. I put even more grease in the hole, but didn't want to try and open the unit as I suspect the spring forces are under a great deal of pressure.

So I'm pretty much at a loss. The noise is still there, like metal on metal. I've tried everything to lubricate it (both doors are affected). I figure I could always buy two new units and replace the existing ones, but is there any way to properly lubricate/fix the existing ones?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
I had the same problem with the rear doors in my 06. I originally did the same thing as you and liberally applied lithium grease to it and it made the problem worse also. I removed all the grease and sprayed WD-40 in there and it is much improved. It is not perfect now, but it is much better than it was. I would give WD-40 a try.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Order this.

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/produ...rce=googlebase

It's what we use for all rubber seals (Doors, tailgate and sunroof) including every door Detents. My Rear doors would make a really nasty grinding type noise. After using this stuff noise went away. A little goes a long way don't overload it. With your sunroof closed if you push up on it from inside and you hear it making noise use it around the rubber on the sunroof. Same for the doors weather stripping use it on both sides of the rubber.