Notices

Squeaky scratchy belt/tensioner/pulley - Doesn't sound good

Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
JJH
Registered Member

Received 350 Likes on 254 Posts
Squeaky scratchy belt/tensioner/pulley - Doesn't sound good

So after going through the car wash today, my car started squeaking (which is nothing abnormal, it always does that if the belt gets a little wet or when it's real cold in the morning on cold start-ups), however, the squeakiness didn't go away. An hour passed and I drove to autozone to pick up some belt dressing. Upon opening the hood, this was worse that a typical dry squeaky belt. It almost sounds like sandpaper getting rubbed across cement. It worries me that either a pulley or tensioner is bad, especially if it's the alternator pulley because I will have to replace the whole thing.

Any ideas? I will upload a video clip with sound later.

Thanks Azine.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Vegas Bum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Replace your belt and your tensioner if that is what you think it is, sounds like one of them is going if you are squeaky on cold starts...your sandpaper on concrete comment is throwing me off (maybe the tensioner bearing is worn out).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
JJH
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JBONN View Post
Replace your belt and your tensioner if that is what you think it is, sounds like one of them is going if you are squeaky on cold starts...your sandpaper on concrete comment is throwing me off (maybe the tensioner bearing is worn out).
Uploading video right now to Youtube...sandpaper on cement was a bad analogy.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
JJH
Registered Member

Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a failed bearing to me...could be a pulley on the serpentine belt system or the timing belt itself. First remove the serpentine belt and start the car. See if the noise goes away. If it doesn't go away, it's likely a failed tensioner/pulley in your TB system. If the noise does go away, listen with a long screwdriver (or other steel object) and try to diagnose which pulley is louder than the others (stethoscope method).
The following users liked this post:
JJH (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 AM
JJH
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hrod26 View Post
Sounds like a failed bearing to me...could be a pulley on the serpentine belt system or the timing belt itself. First remove the serpentine belt and start the car. See if the noise goes away. If it doesn't go away, it's likely a failed tensioner/pulley in your TB system. If the noise does go away, listen with a long screwdriver (or other steel object) and try to diagnose which pulley is louder than the others (stethoscope method).
The timing belt was changed less than 40k miles ago, do you really think that it's likely that a bearing would fail on me this soon?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 AM
JJH
Registered Member

Morning everyone

I've got some oddities to share with you guys about my squeaky scratch noise.

-I took the serpentine belt completely off and the noise did go completely away, telling me that it's either the belt, a pulley, or the tensioner.-I took the serpentine belt completely off and the noise did go completely away, telling me that it's either the belt, a pulley, or the tensioner.

-When I spray belt dressing on the serpentine belt, the noise goes away completely for about 15 seconds. This leads me to believe that perhaps a pulley or the belt tensioner is not rotating at the same speed as the drive pulley (due to bad bearings or whatever) and when I spray the belt dressing on, it allows the belt to slide more easily over the pulley which eliminates the noise temporarily.

-When rotating all of the pulleys by hand, they felt fine. They didn't have any additional drag than I think they should have.

-There was one pulley on the bottom right (closest to the front passenger headlight on the very bottom) that had a very, very, very slight amount of play. Should I more closely investigate this?

Is there any surefire way of determining whether or not I do in fact have a bad auto tensioner? It rotates fine.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 195 Likes on 159 Posts
What is this? is the A/C Compressor, this is the one you said had some play in it
And this? is the idler pulley

If you put the serpentine belt back on, turn on the A/C to see if the noise changes.
The following users liked this post:
JJH (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 AM
JJH
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wilzrsx View Post
What is this? is the A/C Compressor, this is the one you said had some play in it
And this? is the idler pulley

If you put the serpentine belt back on, turn on the A/C to see if the noise changes.
Good idea, I wish I would have thought about this before taking the serpentine belt off.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
JJH
Registered Member

Replacing the serpentine belt eliminated the sound completely. The only thing that I can conclude is that somehow the old belt got stretched out.